The first time you ate really really hot chicken wings.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BWW is awful. I was a senior in high school and my mom owned a restaurant here in Olean called Breadstix. She has her own "suicide" sauce and to this day they were the hottest wings I've ever eaten. Great flavor but wow were they hot. She still won't give me the recipe even though she no longer owns the restaurant. lol.. But they were the type that the whole bars eyes would start watering as soon as they came out of the kitchen.

BWW is awful. I was a senior in high school and my mom owned a restaurant here in Olean called Breadstix. She has her own "suicide" sauce and to this day they were the hottest wings I've ever eaten. Great flavor but wow were they hot. She still won't give me the recipe even though she no longer owns the restaurant. lol.. But they were the type that the whole bars eyes would start watering as soon as they came out of the kitchen.

I remember the first time my family had wings...six sisters, me and my brother, and my parents. I am guessing it was around 1972 or so...I was about 6 or 7. I am pretty sure my father was the only one of us who had ever eaten them before. He got us a huge bucket (I think it was a bucket, there were a lot!) for "casual Friday night dinner".

We all sat around the kitchen table, and passed our plates down to my father...he put 2 or 3 wings on everyones' plate. I could tell, before we even tasted them, most of my sisters were probably going to hate them...they hated everything! So, we start eating them...they were the hottest thing I had ever tasted at that point in my life. My eyes were watering a little, my lips were burning... I thought they were awesome! My brother too! As I predicted, all my sister hated them...my youngest sister was even crying because they were so hot...my mom was pissed at my dad for thinking kids would like them. My dad, brother and I ended up eating pretty much all of them...I was hooked.

A few years later, when it was easier to order them (remember when you could get a bucket of 50 wings for $5.99, or even $4.99 on "wing night"?), my brother and I would order a bucket and have our own eating contests...normally with a Sabres or Braves game blaring away in the background. Even though I was 6 years younger, I could hold my own... even "won" a few times... they couldn't make them hot enough for us....

Sadly, now, pushing 50, I still love good wings (about 99% of what they sell in Texas as "buffalo wings" are garbage) but I like them a little milder. At some point, I realized, with the "nuclear" wings, and the likes, it was all about the burning lips, and you couldn't even really taste the chicken. What was the point?

When I go home to Buffalo (can't wait to hit Casi Di Pizza and La Nova next week!!!!)I still like them hot...but not nuclear hot. The rare occasion that I order wings in Texas, I will order them extra hot, or whatever they offer, because most places they are more spicey than "hot"...or worse, come with barbeque sauce! There are a few places that have okay wings, though none of them are very convenient. If I need a fix, I go to BW3, order them with "buffalo rub" (they are nice and crispy) and then douse them in my own Franks when I get home.

Edited by Buftex

I'll preface this with: I am a total chili-head. The hotter, the better.

If you want a treat at BWW, get the pulled pork sammie and then drench it in Blazin' sauce.

Otherwise, bring on the suicidal wings anywhere I go . . . I've been eating really spicy foods as long as I can remember. No idea what was the first really spicy thing that i've had. Other than a few concoctions of my own, the only prepared food that I've been unable to complete were the Suicidal Wings at Mammoser's in Hamburg. They came out drenched in Dave's insanity sauce. I got through 4 before I threw in the towel.

Otherwise, I've never had any that I couldn't finish, and I've tried a couple truly insane challenges where you can't have any liquids, or have to wait through a 5 minute burn afterwards, etc.

worst i ever had was at a sports bar in richmond va, it basically used the capsicum oil and it was one of the hottest things i've had yet, problem was, no flavor, just heat. I have grown the ultra hot peppers the past couple of years so i have eaten several ghosts, reapers, scorpions etc...those are so frigging hot it's ridiculous, but they have pepper flavor. I just made a batch of jerky(not south dakota) jerky.

Anyone have any bad effects after they ate the wings besides burning lips?

CBF

All-American Flaming A**hole. At least that's what we call it. And i can tell when I've had good wings cuz the skin on the inside of my lips will peel.

I do have a fear of eating something super spiced, and then having to vomit. Ouch.

not wings and not personally, but last year i brought in some scorpion and ghost peppers to work, one of my co-workers took a couple slivers of them, he wound up curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor for about an hour...co-workers had to go get milk and force him to drink it...he claims to love hot things too, must have been a one time bad reaction. it was weird

Anyone have any bad effects after they ate the wings besides burning lips?

CBF

not wings and not personally, but last year i brought in some scorpion and ghost peppers to work, one of my co-workers took a couple slivers of them, he wound up curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor for about an hour...co-workers had to go get milk and force him to drink it...he claims to love hot things too, must have been a one time bad reaction. it was weird

Whoa that sounds intense!

CBF

i put a single reaper in a large crock pot of chili last weekend....holy cow...my scalp was sweating for more than a half hour....but damn was it good!!!

I honestly believe it's part of our mental makeup. My sister, for example, thinks Franks is hot. I, on the other hand, can't wait to try a tiny bit of the Carolina Reaper.

My close friend grows jalokia peppers (ghost peppers). A few years back, we each sliced about a dime-sized, slightly thicker than paper-thin piece of a pepper and ate it. It was painful. Tears. Sweat. But no blood, thank God.

His (then) wife shot a video of him taking a bite out of one. He was drunk/being stupid. His brother-in-law and father-in-law were there while it occurred. He was pounding the table and visibly sweating and bright red. His wife said, "someone get Matt a glass of milk!" And then ... you hear it ... faintly ... her father saying, in all seriousness - "let him die."

We did make wing sauce one night with the jalokias and they were extremely hot. I love my wings hot, but I don't like them to be painful. Those were painful, but nothing more than hot lips (Houlihan, anyone??) and a lot of uncontrollable saliva.

At my last job, there was a kid whose aunt bought him a bottle of "Satan's Blood," hot sauce/chili extract.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Satan-s-Blood-Chile-Extract-p/1155sb.htm

This stuff was ridiculous. We dipped toothpicks into the bottle and touched the toothpicks to our tongues. And it instantly filled our entire mouths with excruciating pain. Not exaggerating.

I can't think of a good use for something that hot.