Can we hold onto Schwartz for next year?

LA Grant

To date Schwartz has only proven to be a good defensive coordinator and a bad head coach.

He was fired from Detroit, because they were not good under his reign, and look where Detroit has gone with essentially the same talent. That certainly has to be a huge knock against him if his name comes up in head coaching discussions.

And as somebody has already alluded to, he was brought in here to an already very talented bunch. To his credit he has made this unit better but I still don't think it out trumps his failures as Detroits head coach. In time maybe another HC is in his future but not right now.

I could see Henderson or Johnson being pillaged before Schwartz leaving.

I dare say that one year under Pettine probably upped the football IQ substantially on that side of the ball. They were ready to receive the Schwartz.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no telling what will happen and why. All we have to do is look at the "wide-9" hysteria that surrounded the Schwartz hire and the fear that it would be Wanny part 2. People's perceptions are far more an artifact of collective sub-cosciousness than the alleged conscious knowledge of individuals. :beer:

Whoh...dude....that is deep...I think you just mindf**ked me.

If Schwartz is smart, he'll continue to build equity by staying another year with this defense. It's easy money compared to these HC jobs that will be open.

Scchwartz sill collecting from the Lions.....yes, the Bills pay him, but he could have sat home for two years and cashed checks. Get gets nothing incrementally for being active w the Bills. (I think thats right, anyhow)

New York Jets - would be a train wreck in NYC

New York Giants - see above

Miami - if they collapse again this job may open up but Harbaugh would be their top candidate

San Francisco - they want calm and cool. That was not Schwartz in Detroit. They will get Shanahan's or Schottenhiemier's kid.

Chicago - desperate to rebuild defense and he knows the division - this is the spot to worry about

Carolina - they will go Offensive minded coach

Atlanta - another place to worry about as their defense has been a mess for 5 years

Tenn - Whisenhunt will stay

Oakland - again Harbaugh is the front runner and they probably also go offensive minded guy to develop Carr

Did I miss anyone? Bills if Marrone craps the bed against Oakland???

Best hope is Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn and a recycled Rex Ryan get the jobs over Schwartz.

How 'bout Cleveland? They have had the quick trigger finger with coaches in the past. Is Pettine safe because of a good start and a rookie QB?

If Schwartz is smart, he'll continue to build equity by staying another year with this defense. It's easy money compared to these HC jobs that will be open.

Agreed. I think he would be smart to stay one more year here and then if the defense continues to be as good, he might get his shot at another HC spot after 2015. Heck, he might get the chance to take over the Bills after next season of the offense doesn't improve.

Why does that make him smart? If the dude has aspirations of leading a team to a Superbowl victory as a head coach or making the hall of fame as a head coach, then why would it be a smart move to turn down a chance to make his dreams come true? That is not what ambitious winners do. They take the opportunity and try to make the most of it.

If he is offered the right opportunity to head coach another NFL team, you can bet he is gone.

If he takes a HC job for any of the teams firing their HC at seasons end, it will be a longer road to the Super Bowl than if he stays in Buffalo as DC. Once he has a Super Bowl ring, he can name his price for any HC job in the league.

There is little doubt in my mind that after the world saw what Schwartz did to Aaron Rodgers that he doesn't get a shot next year. Rodgers, who was the leading MVP candidate, and had only thrown three INT's all year, and those three were all tipped.

Bills fans hate thinking about this, but imagine Marrone with another Dave Wannstedt type next year. :sick:

To the fans thinking he sucked big time in Detroit, lets not forget he inherited a 0-16 team that was a tire fire, train wreck, dumpster fire all in one. Schwartz did get them to 10-6 in three years which was no easy task. Then went 4-12, and 7-9 to be fired. His replacement in Jim Caldwell did worse IMO, as he took a 14-2 team, and turned them into a 2-14 team. Yet there he is as the HC of the Lions at 10-4.

I don't see Schwartz in Buffalo next year. :cry:

Something else to think about...

don't you think that Marrone would have got Schwartz to give some kind of guarantee that he would stick around for at least 2 or 3 years if asked to?

Yeah, you'd think that, but from my observations of how the NFL operates, there are no guarantees.

There is little doubt in my mind that after the world saw what Schwartz did to Aaron Rodgers that he doesn't get a shot next year. Rodgers, who was the leading MVP candidate, and had only thrown three INT's all year, and those three were all tipped.

Bills fans hate thinking about this, but imagine Marrone with another Dave Wannstedt type next year. :sick:

To the fans thinking he sucked big time in Detroit, lets not forget he inherited a 0-16 team that was a tire fire, train wreck, dumpster fire all in one. Schwartz did get them to 10-6 in three years which was no easy task. Then went 4-12, and 7-9 to be fired. His replacement in Jim Caldwell did worse IMO, as he took a 14-2 team, and turned them into a 2-14 team. Yet there he is as the HC of the Lions at 10-4.

I don't see Schwartz in Buffalo next year. :cry:

Caldwell did what he was supposed to do with a Manningless Colts team--keep putting Curtis Painter in the lineup and get the number one pick for Luck. Now Caldwell simply walks into Detroit and they are 10-4 after Schwartz ran that team into the ground. He lost control of the team and that is what all of the rest of the owners in the league will remember.

He stepped into a loaded D in Buffalo and he hasn't screwed it up. He is at his ceiling.

I hope he stays one more year also. As good as this defense is we did have a few bad games in the beginning of the year, San Diego and New England. The defense is playing lights out the second half of the season, they got adjusted to the system. If we get another DC with a slightly different system we may have the same thing happen, be good not great in first half. With Schwartz I would like to see us on the same page from week 1.

Caldwell did what he was supposed to do with a Manningless Colts team--keep putting Curtis Painter in the lineup and get the number one pick for Luck. Now Caldwell simply walks into Detroit and they are 10-4 after Schwartz ran that team into the ground. He lost control of the team and that is what all of the rest of the owners in the league will remember.

He stepped into a loaded D in Buffalo and he hasn't screwed it up. He is at his ceiling.

Interesting take.

He stepped into a loaded D in Buffalo and he hasn't screwed it up.

Hahahaha. Here boys and girls we have an example of someone who decided before training camp that Schwartz would not be good and has stuck to that all season when the evidence has proved him wrong. To say that all Schwartz has done in Buffalo is not screw it up when it is clear to everyone who has actually been watching that he has made this defense better is ridiculous.

This is the man who couldn't "see any way the Packers don't score 40". His take on Schwartz is worth zilch.

For what it is worth I think FeartheLosing has nailed it above. The only thing I'd add is that I'm not arguing Schwartz will be a definite success as a second time HC... just that I find it increasingly difficult to believe he isn't going to get a 2nd shot sooner rather than later given who else is available with previous NFL HC experience.

I wouldn't call 7-9 a run into the ground team, and I think Caldwell inherited an excellent defense built by Schwartz. That defense is and has been #1 all season long. Lions DC Teryl Austin is a hot candidate for an NFL HC job next season. Caldwell is an ex OC, ex QB coach and his offense is currently around 20th, which is worse then it was under Schwartz.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/12/16/who-is-teryl-austin/20497299/

The Bills are currently fielding the most feared defense in the NFL, no team wants to play Buffalo now. Although Pettine lead the NFL in sacks, he defense wasn't even close to this one and he had Kiko! I think Schwartz gets many offers.

Actually if we HAVE to lose Schwartz, this may be the season to do it. Rex Ryan will certainly be available soon after the final game, and he at least would be a suitable substitute. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Schwartz to go but if he does ..... just sayin'