Can we hold onto Schwartz for next year?

LA Grant

Hallelujah!! Only taken 15 weeks.....

Well I look at our defense last year and I look at Cleveland's this year and to me it is obvious how. The gap discipline is poor and they get gashed with the run even in obvious run situations with 8 guys defending in the box. I liked Pettine... no doubt he did well, but Schwartz has made this a more complete defense and to argue otherwise is to argue that black is white.

He is far from a sure thing as a Head Coach. But then for most of the season you have been telling us he isn't a particularly great coordinator.

15 weeks? Well, this D had only played 2 top 10 offenses in the first 14 weeks--and gave up 38 and 24 points to them in losses. I thought it was therefore prudent to reserve judgment until the Packers game. You don't agree with this obviously, but I'm not sure why.

Comparing the Browns D to the Bills D is beyond tortuous. Totally different personnel. It's my contention that Pettine, with this Bills D, would have done just as good a job as Schwartz. Not really a stretch to say so...

He's a proven failure as HC....so, he is a better DC. I've conceded that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 weeks? Well, this D had only played 2 top 10 offenses in the first 14 weeks--and gave up 38 and 24 points to them in losses. I thought it was therefore prudent to reserve judgment until the Packers game. You don't agree with this obviously, but I'm not sure why.

Comparing the Browns D to the Bills D is beyond tortuous. Totally different personnel. It's my contention that Pettine, with this Bills D, would have done just as good a job as Schwartz. Not really a stretch to say so...

The Bills defenders made a point about how much more attention to detail and to the run game this defense has, and it showed. It showed last year on Pettine's defense too. Spikes helped and would have helped Pettine to a lesser degree. But Pettine had a great inside run stuffing LB in Dansby and the Browns couldn't stop the run.

With all of the national attention on the defense and Jim Schwartz in particular, and given the usual carousel of HC vacancies each year, is anyone else concerned that we may be looking at having our 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years?

It's absolutely imperative that we resign Hughes in the offseason but I think just as important is giving Schwartz whatever money he wants to keep him around for another year or two at the coordinator level.

I'm a bit concerned, but this has been a good situation for Schwartz, too. In his own best interest, he might just stick it out for another season and boost his value on the market even more after next season. He's has a load of talented players on his side of the ball and it would be great to see him stay on as DC. Salary caps don't apply to coaching staff to best of my knowledge, so having a committed and deep-pocketed owner is a good situation, as well.

I'm a bit concerned, but this has been a good situation for Schwartz, too. In his own best interest, he might just stick it out for another season and boost his value on the market even more after next season. He's has a load of talented players on his side of the ball and it would be great to see him stay on as DC. Salary caps don't apply to coaching staff to best of my knowledge, so having a committed and deep-pocketed owner is a good situation, as well.

If we make it to the playoffs and make some noise, I could potentially see some offers. But just because we had a decent defense and beat Green Bay does not mean the guy is going to be a hot HC prospect. I simply don't see him leaving until end of next year at the earliest. It would take a desperate team willing to take a chance that a good DC who inherited a very good defense would also make a good HC. For a team to be that desperate, they are probably not talent loaded, and thus would be more of a risk for his long term future. He cannot afford to be considered a failure at head coach again. Edited by Georgia Bill

If we make it to the playoffs and make some noise, I could potentially see some offers. But just because we had a decent defense and beat Green Bay does not mean the guy is going to be a hot HC prospect. I simply don't see him leaving until end of next year at the earliest. It would take a desperate team willing to take a chance that a good DC who inherited a very good defense would also make a good HC. For a team to be that desperate, they are probably not talent loaded, and thus would be more of a risk for his long term future. He cannot afford to be considered a failure at head coach again.

Agree - is a win-win if he stays.

The rush defense is MUCH better this year with almost exactly the same "contributing " personnel, and without Byrd and Kiko. The browns d is good overall, but rush d is pretty suspect. I was very worried about Schwartz over Pettine, but I think it's pretty clear that this is a more complete and consistent defense.

22 to the Chargers actually and for those who think they got shredded in that game - go back and watch it - they didn't . The second half of New England at home was bad, no question about that - they didn't play well enough in that 2nd half. But shouldn't it be clear that looking across the body of work that was the outlier? You keep harping back to that and ignoring all else. And you were not reserving judgment until the Packers game.... if you were that would have just about been understandable.... but you were suggesting they were no good and seeing no way the Packers didn't drop 40 on them.