Russ Brandon: "Marrone Has Changed the Bills' Culture"

26CornerBlitz

You don't. You build your offense around the players you have to play. Marrone doesn't do that. He forces players that cannot play that system into it. Same thing they did last year running the no huddle. They didn't have the right players to play it. You don't wait 2-3 years until you do. That's the sign of horrible coaching. You play the players and run the formations and plays within your system that utilizes the guys you have that particular year and game to help them succeed. We don't do that.

So if next year, we sign a guard or two, maybe a FA QB, and draft another offensive starter, and have the 12th - 15th offense in the NFL, that's a sign a horrible coaching?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost two?

I'm not disagreeing that Schwartz is better than Pettine. But you look at what we have on defense, talent-wise, and it isn't even close to the O. Would we be top 3 if our offense had that kind of talent? Maybe, maybe not. But we wouldn't be 26th. That's for certain.

Lost two meaning Jairus Byrd and Kiko off the previous season when Pettine was the coach. Schwartz lost Byrd and Kiko, but gained Spikes, Graham and Brown. That's somewhat of a wash. And yet he had greater results.

That said, the Bills offense added Watkins and Mike Williams, Dixon and Brown, Chris Williams and Orton, and Henderson. We lost Stevie. And yet we are worse.

So if next year, we sign a guard or two, maybe a FA QB, and draft another offensive starter, and have the 12th - 15th offense in the NFL, that's a sign a horrible coaching?

If we do that, any coach in the league should be in the championship game.

Unless he runs a stupid two TE offense, keeps better players on the bench, and doesn't put those players in the best position to be successful, which is what our HC did this year.

Lost two meaning Jairus Byrd and Kiko off the previous season when Pettine was the coach. Schwartz lost Byrd and Kiko, but gained Spikes, Graham and Brown. That's somewhat of a wash. And yet he had greater results.

That said, the Bills offense added Watkins and Mike Williams, Dixon and Brown, Chris Williams and Orton, and Henderson. We lost Stevie. And yet we are worse.

Unless he runs a stupid two TE offense, keeps better players on the bench, and doesn't put those players in the best position to be successful, which is what our HC did this year.

We lost Stevie and two guys who started games at QB. Not for nothing.

We also lost Choice and Graham. Just saying.

I would agree that the talent level got better on offense...but not by much.

Meanwhile, adding Spikes was no wash. It could be argued that he's made all the difference on our defense. One guy. One addition. You mean to tell me the same can't done on offense...because we run these two TE sets you hate?

And we switched from a no-huddle offense. Are you insinuating that the no-huddle was more effective? Would we be better with it?

Like I said, Schwartz > Pettine. I get it. But let me ask you this, did you think that would happen? You seem a learned guy in football. Schwartz and Pettine run different enough schemes that one could've argued that Pettine's scheme (top 10, I might add) fit our players better than Schwartz's did. Did you perhaps think that?

So what? You seem to think it's not possible to experience a downgrade in production with a coaching staff. That's what the "Fire George Edwards" crowd said. I have faith in Whaley and Marrone in full to build and play a team that will contend. Hell, we're contending now. I don't see us reaching on ceiling here offensively.

We lost Stevie and two guys who started games at QB. Not for nothing.

We also lost Choice and Graham. Just saying.

I would agree that the talent level got better on offense...but not by much.

Meanwhile, adding Spikes was no wash. It could be argued that he's made all the difference on our defense. One guy. One addition. You mean to tell me the same can't done on offense...because we run these two TE sets you hate?

You're kidding about losing Tuel and Thad and TJ and Choice, right? Please tell me you are kidding.

Spikes is a wash only because Kiko and Byrd are gone. I think Spikes was an enormous addition to the defense. Taking away 2 of our 5 best defenders last year, and adding Spikes, Graham and Brown, as I said, is about a wash.

If before the season someone asked you would you rather have Kiko and Byrd, or Spikes, Corey Graham and Brown, what would you say? It's a wash.

Now, because knowing our safeties have played so well, Graham has been solid, and Bradham and Brown have more than made up for the loss of Kiko, I would rather have those three. But we didn't know that. And Kiko and Byrd, if healthy, would have been fabulous in this defense.

The problem with this whole thread is that Russ Brandon defending Marrone by saying he "changed the culture" is a straw man argument. And how convenient that, win or lose, Russ now cites a "changed culture" and a need for "continuity" since his football ops ass is on the line with Marrone. When the season started it was "playoffs or bust." Now it's "culture and continuity." DOES ANYONE ELSE SMELL THE BULLSCHIDT?

You know he does not just want to be a marketer for the Bills. He wants more chest bumps with Sammy on game day and more fist pumping in the war room on draft day. That's his real agenda.

The real question is, has Marrone done enough to be retained? Most of us think we know, but I'd say pretty much everyone wants to see the last 2 games before deciding. In the meantime, I've seen plenty of decisions from the dark ages, and barring a stirring win in New England, I'd say the Bills can and should try to do better.

The problem is, we've seen so much garbage in the last 15 years that 8-6 makes it look like St. Doug really is roaming the sidelines.

And Russ, whose culture did he change, exactly? I remember when you were the GM...that was some culture we had then, wasn't it?

Brandon the football guy is the problem and a snake in the grass. When he talks "culture" he's politicking for his own ass. Is that not obvious?

Just stick to selling tickets Russ. You did a great job finding 30000 Green Bay fans to sell the game out last weekend.

Outstanding post. :thumbsup:

So do you think the defense is out-scheming opponents?

Absolutely, they are. They primarily rush 4 and run a lot of stunts. Obviously they are talented but 1 could easily argue that they were more talented last year but predictable with all of the blitzing. They didn't control their gaps nearly as well. This defense is well coached top to bottom. If you look at it each position group has improved on the defensive side of the ball. Improvement can be chalked up to coaching. I don't see a position group on the offense that has either gotten better or played to their talent level. That again is coaching.

The reason that a lot of us (myself included) liked Chan offensively is because he maximized bad talent. They were not the Broncos but for a team with bad talent they moved the ball. My expectations for a coach are to get the most out of what they have.

I'm continually perplexed by the fondness with which Bills fans remember Chan's never-top-10 offenses.

He had arguably the worst talent in the league and ranked in the middle. When you have middle of the league talent you shouldn't rank near the bottom. That is really, really simple.

The problem with this whole thread is that Russ Brandon defending Marrone by saying he "changed the culture" is a straw man argument. And how convenient that, win or lose, Russ now cites a "changed culture" and a need for "continuity" since his football ops ass is on the line with Marrone. When the season started it was "playoffs or bust." Now it's "culture and continuity." DOES ANYONE ELSE SMELL THE BULLSCHIDT?

You know he does not just want to be a marketer for the Bills. He wants more chest bumps with Sammy on game day and more fist pumping in the war room on draft day. That's his real agenda.

The real question is, has Marrone done enough to be retained? Most of us think we know, but I'd say pretty much everyone wants to see the last 2 games before deciding. In the meantime, I've seen plenty of decisions from the dark ages, and barring a stirring win in New England, I'd say the Bills can and should try to do better.

The problem is, we've seen so much garbage in the last 15 years that 8-6 makes it look like St. Doug really is roaming the sidelines.

And Russ, whose culture did he change, exactly? I remember when you were the GM...that was some culture we had then, wasn't it?

Brandon the football guy is the problem and a snake in the grass. When he talks "culture" he's politicking for his own ass. Is that not obvious?

Just stick to selling tickets Russ. You did a great job finding 30000 Green Bay fans to sell the game out last weekend.

As stated, this is a great post.

Also stated by Fearthelosing......if you can't compete with Belichick you are not the answer here. And yes, others in the division have consistently competed with BB...in fact BOTH other current HC's in the division have. Unfortunately for Ryan the veteran team he inherited got old. Philbin has split with the Pats each year he's been the Dolphins HC.

Lastly, I will add this. It was one thing for Russ to be pimpin for Marrone before ownership changed hands. But now that the team has an owner he shouldn't be saying anything that might run contrary to an owners decision. Then criticizing the playcalling in the same breath......why present a scapegoat to the public? Take it up with Pegula not the press.

agreed, and even he has done enough goofy stuff to get canned.

1. reach for EJ

2. ...subsequent qb cluster!@#$

3. overpay for watkins

4. waste a 2nd on venus de kouandjio

love all the little diamonds n the rough he's uncovered and the hughes trade was outstanding, but you need to do WAY better with your top picks. or we are going to be locked on a treadmill to nowhere.

it is amazing to hear some of you guys talk about 8-6 like we are verge of world domination....but we are way closer to the middle than the top.

hence the 8-6.

Bills have a ways to go. Thats for sure

Because not every coach starts from the same point. Not everyone walks into a down trodden organisation which is only used to losing and has forgotten what winning looks and feels like. That context doesn't make a Bills 8-8 better than a Saints 8-8 for example, but the job that the Head Coach has done is surely not just judged on the latest result or the latest record. The body of work in terms of what did he inherit and what has he done with it is definitely relevant.

Nice Post for sure Bill.

Its mid week and all the people who are scared because the Bills are winning, but not the way they want, and that Marrone won't get fired, are out in full force after a couple days of licking their wounds. You are completely correct in you assessment. I contend that the Bills have improved both defensively and on special teams enormously since Marrone got here. The notion that he gets little or no credit for that is laughable. The chef doesn't always cook the meal himself. Further, this causation/correlation stuff that was brought up works both ways. You want to say all the offensive problems can be traced back to Marrone via Hackett. Then all the defensive and special teams successes he gets full credit for too. Can't have it both ways boys. I agree correlation doesn't equal causation. Lack of objectivity leads to hypocrisy.

The media...specifically WGR (Howard Simon) has been writing a narrative that marrone should be or may be fired almost all season. I heard him 5 weeks ago say "he was done and thinks he should go" Even when they win the negative always has to be pointed out. Unfortunately, their tone almost seems personal towards the coach and the players that the media has decided underperformed. Personally I'm tired of people that don't have to make decisions on game day criticizing others. We are fans and we have the right to get pissed and emotional about decisions but in the end if you look at this team and organization the culture has changed. Marrone may not always be articulate but he's a tough, hard working SOB, who brings it every day. People can also evolve as coaches and get better. The media in Buffalo are idiots and WGR goes overboard in being critical so they are not accused of being homers. Sal Capaccio is the only one I have respect for. I love that brandon stuck up for Marrone. The team is tougher, deeper and better off than two years ago. BTW the record is better too.

The media...specifically WGR (Howard Simon) has been writing a narrative that marrone should be or may be fired almost all season. I heard him 5 weeks ago say "he was done and thinks he should go" Even when they win the negative always has to be pointed out. Unfortunately, their tone almost seems personal towards the coach and the players that the media has decided underperformed. Personally I'm tired of people that don't have to make decisions on game day criticizing others. We are fans and we have the right to get pissed and emotional about decisions but in the end if you look at this team and organization the culture has changed. Marrone may not always be articulate but he's a tough, hard working SOB, who brings it every day. People can also evolve as coaches and get better. The media in Buffalo are idiots and WGR goes overboard in being critical so they are not accused of being homers. Sal Capaccio is the only one I have respect for. I love that brandon stuck up for Marrone. The team is tougher, deeper and better off than two years ago. BTW the record is better too.

It does seem like Media types don't care for Marrone. He's not an ass-kisser, more like a Parcells/Belichik approach to the media. The media started treating both those guys differently after they won.In Buffalo I wonder if Marrone would get the same treatment.

It does seem like Media types don't care for Marrone. He's not an ass-kisser, more like a Parcells/Belichik approach to the media. The media started treating both those guys differently after they won.In Buffalo I wonder if Marrone would get the same treatment.

This was apparent at his first presser after his first training camp practice last year. He would definitely be given more benefit of the doubt if he wins like Parcells/ Belichick but, like those two, he will never lose the disdain he has for the media. He doesn't trust people with agendas.

GO BILLS!!!

This was apparent at his first presser after his first training camp practice last year. He would definitely be given more benefit of the doubt if he wins like Parcells/ Belichick but, like those two, he will never lose the disdain he has for the media. He doesn't trust people with agendas.

GO BILLS!!!

For sure. I remember Peter King telling the story about riding to practice with Parcells early in the am for an article when they were both a lot younger. He said Bill bought every paper and read everything about the team. He then threatened the then young reporter telling him if he told anyone he looked at the stuff it would be his last interview!

Would you rather spread and confuse? Or be able to line up and drive the ball down the opponent's throat, even when they're expecting it?

I'd rather we continue working toward the latter, personally.

That is Marrone philosophy i think. I am fine with that ideology but yet to see it.

It bucks the NFL trends and might be the next trend.

Now we have brought Spiller back.. and relieve Summers of his duty.

I dont think Bills are scheming a heavy run game under Coach.

Not sure what they want to be actually.

This offseason should be very interesting ! The 3rd year is the Year to prove out. I don care if he he keeps Hackett or not. It's not my plan , nor do i know what it really is. But i am fine with letting them get another year to get it right.

I had no expectations of playoffs this year. I just hoped the Bills would become worth watching again on Sundays. and make every game, a game worth watching till the end.

For me ? They have done that. more and more each game.

I am enjoying this year more than I have in a rather long time. Isn't that what being a fan is about ?

Not sure if anyone heard the Kyle Williams interview tonight with Murph but he said the local media has been trying to drive a wedge between the offense and the defense by trying to bait them with questions.

I heard it and applaud the team for tuning out the distractions from the traditional media, social media, and any other source including fans. Not the easiest thing to do in today's ever more connected world. Still, it doesn't mean there aren't legitimate questions to be raised.