Eric Wood's hit on Clay Matthews

Jerry Jabber

For years, the Bills have been pushed around physically. It was usually a Bills player on the end of the crushing block. Now that we are getting some of our own back, we have to worry about being too physical? For the last 6-10 years, the Bills led the league in players on IR. This year has reversed that trend. Excuse me if I don't shed any tears for Bulaga, Matthews, or any of the other myriad players the Bills have knocked out this year. Better them than us (for a change, and a long time comin').

Part being we're still in the race - guys like sammy, spiller and I'm sure others dinged up would be shelved by now if we were eliminated

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how so many people think a blow up legal hit is cheap and dirty. It was textbook, and not late. It's football. Matthews was still in play and shoulder to shoulder. What do you want Wood to do?

There was absolutely nothing illegal, cheap, or late about this hit. NOTHING. I hate seeing late or cheap hits as it is dangerous to both players, but legal hits are part of this game.

If you hate this part of the game, watch soccer.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's hits like Jerry's on Bulaga that will keep Schwartz from getting calls to a be a HC this off-season. He instructs his players to play right on the edge. The hit was legal, but the intent was to lay the dude out hard. We didn't get called on it (don't know why we would, but we see that call all the time) but the Denver game is a perfect example of guys pushing the limit and being flagged for it. This is a good thing to have in a DC (I think), but not as a head coach. Detroit wins close games and doesn't take half as many dumb penalties as they did last year. Hopefully FOs remember this so he stays our DC for a couple of years.

I think you are a little off and reaching. Especially since Wood is offense and Schwartz coaches defense.

I love how so many people think a blow up legal hit is cheap and dirty. It was textbook, and not late. It's football. Matthews was still in play and shoulder to shoulder. What do you want Wood to do?

There was absolutely nothing illegal, cheap, or late about this hit. NOTHING. I hate seeing late or cheap hits as it is dangerous to both players, but legal hits are part of this game.

If you hate this part of the game, watch soccer.

I have to assume the people calling it a cheap shot or whatever haven't seen the expanded replay. The statement above is exactly right -- Matthews was still in the play!! I can't imagine what people would be saying if Wood has not hit him and Matthews had made the tackle 20 yard downfield and saved a TD.

Indeed. Another thing to worry about is if it becomes a trend, the league/other teams will look for it, and we see more penalties on the Bills in important games, because refs might be instructed to look for it (either by the league or the opposing team). I'm all for having attitude, protecting our players, not backing down, being aggressive... but those sorts of things can get flagged and set us back at inopportune times.

You know who else gets flagged a lot? Seattle. Flags fly forever, though.

I almost called in to remind them that Kerry Wood plays on offense, and that Doug Marrone was the head coach, but it was more fun to listen to their incoherent wailing. So satisfying. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Kerry Wood is sitting on a couch or a riding lawn mower somewhere hoping his arm doesn't fall off.

I think you are a little off and reaching. Especially since Wood is offense and Schwartz coaches defense.

I don't think so. We've seen these plays get flagged all the time. Right or wrong. Obviously Jerry's would be an indictment on Schwartz and not Wood's, but if this cost us the game in any way, it's a bad look on Schwartz IMO. Go back a week and look at the stupid hit by Graham, a play that hurt us down the stretch. Teams know damn well Schwartz coached teams have a propensity for dumb fouls (not sure, but wasn't he the DC for Haynesworth?)

I just want to clarify my opinion.

- I do not think all blocking is dirty

- I don't think blocking a pursuing player is dirty

- I admit that it's on an edge, and was possibly retaliation for the earlier late hit on Jackson

post-13793-0-52882400-1418741213_thumb.jpg

The reason I have issue with it is three-fold, the play is going towards the right, and Wood is blocking back towards his endzone. Matthews is already out of the play at this point, as well. Lastly, it's a clear that the intention was to put a shot on him, he throws his shoulder up to get a high hit on Matthews. Is this anger and frustration? Intention to hurt? Dunno.

I'm fine with being disagreed with, and fully understand I'm in the minority, but I also don't like when my opinion is misrepresented. It may very well be a legal hit, but it still came off as cheap to me.

Edited by Dorkington

It's a totally legal and clean hit. It is an OFFENSIVE player blocking a defensive player as he is pursuing a running back.

The "Warren Sapp Rule" only applies to a change of possession where D players suddenly become Offensive players and can take someone out with a cheap block.

Eric Wood is an OC. Clay Matthews is a LB. It is Wood's job to block Clay Matthews. Clay Matthews had his head facing Wood, but just didnt have the presence to see him coming. The severity of the hit is all Matthews' fault.

This was not a cheap play. This is what Wood gets paid to do.

Cheap would have been diving into his knee from the side. Putting a shoulder into a guys chest is perfectly fine.

Edited by DrDareustein

On Wood's segment yesterday on GR, said he knows Clay well, they are friends, and have the same agent. Agent was there yesterday.

He was happy as could be he got that shot in,....not a trace of remorse or even a hint that it was late or dirty.

A player thinks a hit he made was legal???? Nahhhhhhhhhh ;)

It's football. End of story. Players are taught now to go high (shoulders and chest), and Matthews wasn't out of the play... you're making this into something it isn't.

I've already accepted that I'm wrong by majority of opinion. I just needed to clarify my stance because people were assuming I meant something I did not.

The "Warren Sapp Rule" only applies to a change of possession where D players suddenly become Offensive players and can take someone out with a cheap block.

I've only seen it called in these cases, but my understanding is that it could be called on any block that is completely away from the play. I don't think that is the case here, Matthews is running toward the play, even if he is fairly far away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2020191

• The definition of unnecessary roughness was broadened to include unnecessary running, diving into, cutting or throwing the body against or on a player who is out of the play. This also passed 32-0. Two plays of note would have been affected by this rule change. First, the 2002 hit by Warren Sapp on Packers offensive lineman Chad Clifton on an interception return would have been considered a 15-yard penalty. Clifton was out of the play, but Sapp delivered a shot that ended his season. The low block by Broncos tackle George Foster on Bengals defensive tackle Tony Williams also would have been affected by this rule change. Foster broke Williams' leg without him having the chance to see the hit.

Edited by Captain Caveman