Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really not what he said. The point of the conversation was that Jeremy got Marrone to admit that the deep throw to Woods was the #1 read (or Alert, as Marrone called it). If the safety stayed deep, the next throw was to Watkins in the crossing pattern and finally to the checkdown. Orton basically ignored the deep route. He immediately looked to Watkins, when the safety took that away, he went to the dump off rather than being aggressive and giving Woods a shot at a deep pass when he was 1-on-1 with a DB.

And that's only ONE play. I can think of at least a half dozen others where Orton should have taken advantage of his free reign to go deep vs. press man/single safety coverage. The receivers certainly adjusted their routes vs. this coverage. This is ALWAYS in the game plan. Orton chose not to take advantage. Too bad, he had guys open on several occasions.

There are many reasons I can give as to why Hackett would devise a shorter passing game plan vs. the Broncos. But suffice to say, that does NOT take long passes off the table.

GO BILLS!!!

i'm lost. What are we criticizing Marrone for now? It was in the game plan? It wasn't? Where did it come from that it wasn't in the game plan?

I simply made two separate, specific points in direct response to the two separate posts that I quoted, including yours. I wasn't criticizing Marrone at all.

In the interview, Marrone repeated several times that the deep stuff became available because the Broncos jumped the underneath routes and that was unlike anything they saw from 12 weeks worth of film.

Translation: the guy with the !@#$ing ball in his hands has to react and make a play.

And why did the Broncos start jumping those underneath routes? Because Hackett set them up to do so.

The guy with the ball in his hands, indeed!

GO BILLS!!!

Brandon is one of the best in his business. From a business standpoint he has kept a long-term dismal franchise vibrant. He had a marketing plan of regionalizing (standard in the NFL) and executed it exceptionally well. East towards Rocherster he increased the market, the southern tier he increased the market and without a doubt the Canadian market has expanded.

Although the organization received a lot of criticism with its venture into Toronto the owner prospered from that deal. He pocketed $78 M up front and he used the Toronto connection to increase the winning Pegula bid by approximately $400 M. If you were a boss wouldn't you be ecstatic with the sterling work of that particular employee?

I have been a long time critic of the former owner and the way he operated the franchise. In my view one of the best things he did in his waninng years is to give Brandon the authority to manage the franchise. It was Brandon more than anyone else who guided this franchise into the modern era. He could only do so much with the owner's entrenched staff (most notably Littman) but he steadily moved this franchise into an upward trajectory.

It has been said by others and I will repeat the point that Brandon is involved with the business side of the franchise and not the football operation. Whaley and his staff are making the football decisions with little interference other than being informed of what is going on. Their success or failure will be due to their own judgments.

If Pegula is as smart as I think he is he will retain Brandon and give him a boost in pay to make sure that he is associated with his franchise for a very long time.

I have nothing against Brandon and would be happy if he stayed. That said, the above is parrotted out a lot on this board as if he is a genius for regionalizing. One, I just have to take the narrative that it was his idea, which is fine, but secondly, it is just common sense and a plan set forth by Green Bay. Others on the board know him pretty well apparently and say he is great at his job and I take there knowledge seriously. I really just shake my head when people bring up the regionalization aspect of what he has done as if it was a paradigm shift in marketing, it was not at the time and it is not now.

That said, he certainly did it effectively.

Where there is smoke there is fire....

All those rumors of tension between Marrone and the front office in the summer have been followed up by Marrone refusing to play the 2nd round OL who Whaley must have thought highly of (even though the OL is a total joke), a refusal to play Mike Williams (who Whaley traded for), a refusal to play Bryce Brown until injuries forced it (again a guy Whaley traded for), and the edict that EJ will be benched (the guy Whaley "pulled the tabs on" to use Russ's term)

Add all that in with Marrone's apparent management philosophy and you can see where there might be issues, especially since unlike Parcells or Belichick Marrone hasn't proven a damn thing.

It's easy to work with/under St. Doug (which in his mind is the same thing). You just need to know two words" "Yes, sir."

I have nothing against Brandon and would be happy if he stayed. That said, the above is parrotted out a lot on this board as if he is a genius for regionalizing. One, I just have to take the narrative that it was his idea, which is fine, but secondly, it is just common sense and a plan set forth by Green Bay. Others on the board know him pretty well apparently and say he is great at his job and I take there knowledge seriously. I really just shake my head when people bring up the regionalization aspect of what he has done as if it was a paradigm shift in marketing, it was not at the time and it is not now.

That said, he certainly did it effectively.

I think that the bold is the biggest factor working in Brandon's favor. You're correct that the idea was common sense; the execution of it is where he excelled.

All those rumors of tension between Marrone and the front office in the summer have been followed up by Marrone refusing to play the 2nd round OL who Whaley must have thought highly of (even though the OL is a total joke), a refusal to play Mike Williams (who Whaley traded for), a refusal to play Bryce Brown until injuries forced it (again a guy Whaley traded for), and the edict that EJ will be benched (the guy Whaley "pulled the tabs on" to use Russ's term)

Add all that in with Marrone's apparent management philosophy and you can see where there might be issues, especially since unlike Parcells or Belichick Marrone hasn't proven a damn thing.

It's easy to work with/under St. Doug (which in his mind is the same thing). You just need to know two words" "Yes, sir."

Wow when you add that all up I see what you mean

CBF

You seem to have a few others ... "Thank you, sir! May I have another?" :w00t:

You seem to have a few others ... "Thank you, sir! May I have another?" :w00t:

lol true....

To be honest, I sort of like that about St. Doug. Remember when we all drooled over Gailey for taking away the TVs in the weight room? Finally a "tough" coach!

Marrone is an absolute dictator. Always was at SU and has not changed. Ask people in Syracuse who dealt with him. I was only half joking when I said before that Marrone probably distributes an approved toothpaste to his players with directions on exactly how many seconds to brush each tooth before gamedays.

IMO this is why the Bills show zero "give up" whereas with Gailey they already had boxes packed and the uhauls warming up in the driveway by now. Marrone is a guy that isn't going to stand for any deviations from HIS plan/agenda.

John, read Sully's column from yesterday. It's not conjecture by Sully, both Woods and Whatkins clearly stated that throwing the ball down field was not in the game plan. Again, how is that possible?

Your right about QBs being able to change the play, but if they do it continuously, I don't think that would bode well.

If the qb hits on a few long passes it will bode well for the qb. The HC and offensive staff will predictably be effusive in their praise of the qb who exhibited good judgment.

I haven't read the Sully column but it's not surprising that the coach prefers quick forming passing plays because the OL is not adept at pass blocking. You also have to consider that Orton's arm is not too strong. When your qb has limitations it's not surprising that the coaches adjust to the limitations.

Edited by JohnC