Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no need to answer because most people know who the top tier coaches are. Providing a list isn't going to change what Marrone is.

They have been a bad franchise for the most part despite a couple of good seasons recently: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/

Recently is all that matters though.

It has been 6 years since they were in the super bowl. 20 years for the Bills.

They had winning seasons 4 of the 6 years before Arians arrived. The Bills have had none in the 8 years before Marrone.

How can you not see the difference in circumstances?!

The point is his team's record is 11-3 despite all major injuries all over his roster and that invalidates your sorry excuse making argument in defense of St. Doug.

And EJ hasn't gone to a Super Bowl yet like Brady, which invalidates your sorry excuse making argument in the defense of EJ.

You're being obtuse on purpose right?

Edited by FireChan

The point is his team's record is 11-3 despite major injuries all over his roster and that invalidates your sorry excuse making argument in defense of St. Doug.

No it doesn't. It doesn't at all. My point all along was 'okay, fine Marrone's not Arians. Neither are 30 other coaches."

Chip Kelly

Wait?? Vick, Foles, and Sanchez aren't all pro QBs?

And EJ hasn't gone to a Super Bowl yet like Brady, which invalidates your sorry excuse making argument in the defense of EJ.

You're being obtuse on purpose right?

Stop bringing EJ into the argument. No goalpost moving here. Not gonna work. Go give Manziel a hug instead and drool about his 1st start on Sunday. Your silliness is a 3 dollar bill. No sale!

Let's take the one at a time.

You make a lot of assumptions on the way to stating your "facts." First, we have no idea who anyone preferred, least of all Whaley who isn't a big talker.

That's why I used the word "guess" given Whaley's previous ties to Wisenhunt. The main point is that it was a CONSENSUS pick among the four principals. That is a fact. And I didn't have to rely on anyone I may know in the organization to realize that. It was reported seven ways to Sunday. The idea Brandon made the decision on his own is ridiculous.

Second, this argument about Brandon's decision making is like saying France had a triumvirate in the late 18th century and everyone had a vote. Except Napoleon's was the biggest one. Brandon was the overriding decider on the HC, with Buddy and to a lesser extent Whaley being there as well. A well-known and credible poster (Simon) has stated this earlier in the thread.

Simon stands corrected as well. Your comparison to France is lost on me. "The overriding decider" flies in the face of both what has been quoted publicly as well as by some folks that played supporting roles in the process.

Third, given Russ Brandon's position of power, recent (circa Jan 1, 2013) promotion, and personality traits, I highly doubt he would (as should have been done) delegate the responsibility to a GM to hire a HC. After all, RW was the deciding individual on coaches (when it's typically GM's for most organizations). And Brandon learned from RW. Additionally, who would want Buddy Nix (imminently retiring or not) naming a HC.? Or trust that Doug Whaley would get it right the first time he was involved in a HC hiring? I cannot imagine the newly crowned Brandon would.

Personality traits? Have you met the man? Spent time with him? Do you know people that have? Brandon has ALWAYS been a delegator. Always. I know that from folks that he's delegated to over the years. You highly doubt a GM would hire a HC? Makes no sense at all, sorry; GMs hire coaches all the time. The "newly crowned Brandon" enjoyed a level of autonomy greater than even Donahoe did and his hands weren't tied regarding the coaching hire but he still sought the consensus approval of the four man search committee. Why would he want an outgoing GM like Buddy to help? Why not? Whaley had assumed and been performing most of Nix's GM duties during the 2012 season, anyway. Still, Brandon respected Nix's title and, more importantly, his football acumen and he would have been stupid to exclude him from that process. Your "Brandon was trained by Ralph" slant is totally immaterial to the discussion.

Go back to February when it was leaked that the coaches were dissatisfied with the athletic trainers. Whaley didn't speak about it, but Brandon sure got everyone on the same page and the issue magically disappeared. People have forgotten that rift because 1 month later Mr. Wilson passed away.

Precisely what he should have done in his role as president of the ball club. Not sure why that's an indictment at all. That was his job.

No one loses responsibility and takes it as a good sign. Anyone who's worked in management despises losing power, which Brandon just did apparently over football operations. Moreover, it sounds (and I'm speculating) that he's trying to weasel his way into the owner's ear in order to have more control than just being team president. Why wouldn't someone want to reclaim in an indirect way what they previously had before the new ownership?

This is simply nonsense. He's been overseeing the business side for a long time. It's what he does best. The Pegulas recognize his talent in this area. He also worked with the Wilson trust during the sale and well into the transition process and the Pegulas got to know him, see his working style up close, etc. And by looking at the books, they've seen first hand Brandon's brilliance on the business side of things. But if Brandon was so disgruntled, why didn't he just quit in disgust. I'm not even sure what your point is on that score.

I won't belabor this point anymore because A) understanding management personalities with career-minded objectives is impossible to some here and B) it's not worth it. The Bills are winning 40% of their games since 2000 and people are applauding them, particularly the OBD lifers responsible. If that's not mindbendingly ridiculous I don't know what is. Unless of course winning is priority 2, which I'd say it became these past 14 year or so.

That was a helluva lot of belaboring, regardless. You are conflating several issues in this last paragraph. Your condescending tone aside, I'll only say that there's a difference between appreciating what Brandon's accomplished on the business side of things and applauding everything he's done on the football side.

GO BILLS!!!

Whats new, SSDT.

This franchise is in desperate need of a senior NFL adviser, and a real NFL offensive coordinator.

The adviser to help guide Whaley with the offensive players, and firing the buffoons in the personnel dept who thought certain players didn't need to be replaced. I almost feel bad for Doug Marrone in that his hands are tied with the current roster. Then again Hackett continues to be his choice. Like I said, almost!

Edited by FeartheLosing

Marrone's given me something important so far. After a decade of mass IR disgrace by Thanksgiving, this team for 2 years has maintained extraordinary health when compared to seasons past. A lot of seasons. By the way. These QBs that Arians has used that everyone is calling garbage. Who has actually watched these guys play their complete games? If they suck, then why are they playing well? If they are playing well, why do you say they suck? Does Arians have an OC? If so,how come he gets no credit? Why don't you want him for HC then?