Draft a QB every year? Who would we have had?

texasabres

Since Kim P. mentioned that the Sabres would pick a goalie every year, there has been talk of the Bills doing that with a QB. The question is, what round is best to do so?

So I looked at all of the Bills' drafts since 2000. In a re-draft scenario, I drafted the QB drafted first after the Bills' pick (no cherry-picking, I wanted to use the collective reasoning of the league). I did this for rounds 1, 2 & 3. I did this until we had two current quality QBs on our roster.

So who would our starting and backup QBs be now if we did this? How long would it have taken to get them? Who would we have given up?

If we had done this with our first round picks, we would have Breeze since 2001 and Flacco since 2008. We would have to give up the following to get that duo: Flowers, Clements, M. Williams, McGahee, Evans, Losman, Whitner, McCargo, & Lynch. Summary: I do it and we are champion caliber since 2008. Starters of note that we would have given up: Clements, McGahee, Evens, Whitner, and Lynch. This is a NO brainer.

If we had done this with our second round picks, we would have Kolb since 2007 and Dalton since 2011 and since Kolb is gone either Glennon/Clausen. We would have to give up the following to get that pair: Tillman, Shoebel,Henry, Reed, Kelsay, Parrish, Posluszny, Hardy, Wood, A. Williams. That seems like a lot, but we didn't real winning team with that bunch. I still may do it. We have a hit and miss starter (generous) from 2007-2011 and an above average current QB with an unknown backup. We would be giving up quality starters like Shoebel, Kelsay, Poz, Wood and Williams for that.

With our third, we have Wilson since 2012 and Orton since 2005. We give up Moore, Edwards, Denny, Crowell, Anderson, Everett, Youboty, T. Edwards, Ellis, Byrd, Carrington, Sheppard, Graham. Serviceable QB from 2005-2011 and a solid starter since 2012. Realistically, we gave up Byrd and ultimately Hughes for this.

I am not sure what to make of this, but it seems to me that we could do this with our 1st round pick starting next year and a third this year if we were going to try that strategy. Really though, you need to do it with your 1st to get good fast. Had we started after Flacco, however, it gets ugly. Manziel, Locker, and Manuel are really the best choices we would have made.

Since Kim P. mentioned that the Sabres would pick a goalie every year, there has been talk of the Bills doing that with a QB. The question is, what round is best to do so?

Kim stated that Terry read an NFL book with the philosophy of drafting a QB every year, I believe it was Ron Wolf's book, but not 100% sure. He then brought that philosophy to the Sabres, he actually had to buy a minor league team or 2 to have a place for all the goalie's. So, it wouldn't be too far of a leap to assume he would bring that same philosophy to the Bills...

Edited by ricojes

Kim stated that Terry read an NFL book with the philosophy of drafting a QB every year, I believe it was Ron Wolf's book, but not 100% sure. He then brought that philosophy to the Sabres, he actually had to buy a minor league team or 2 to have a place for all the goalie's. So, it wouldn't be too far of a leap to assume he would bring that same philosophy to the Bills...

If Terry had to buy a minor league team to buy to stash the goalies, what minor league team can he buy/create to stash his QB's?

If Terry had to buy a minor league team to buy to stash the goalies, what minor league team can he buy/create to stash his QB's?

Didn't read the book, maybe it was written when NFL Europe existed. A little more difficult in the NFL, with the only options being, keep on the roster, cut him, or practice squad...

Edited by ricojes

So I looked at all of the Bills' drafts since 2000. In a re-draft scenario, I drafted the QB drafted first after the Bills' pick (no cherry-picking, I wanted to use the collective reasoning of the league). I did this for rounds 1, 2 & 3. I did this until we had two current quality QBs on our roster.

So who would our starting and backup QBs be now if we did this? How long would it have taken to get them? Who would we have given up?

If we had done this with our first round picks, we would have Breeze since 2001 and Flacco since 2008. We would have to give up the following to get that duo: Flowers, Clements, M. Williams, McGahee, Evans, Losman, Whitner, McCargo, & Lynch. Summary: I do it and we are champion caliber since 2008. Starters of note that we would have given up: Clements, McGahee, Evens, Whitner, and Lynch. This is a NO brainer.

1. Drew Brees was drafted in the second round.

2. Brees was so spectacular his first 3 years, the Chargers drafted another QB looking to replace him.

Does that mean every QB is a Drew Brees? No, but every QB is not an Andrew Luck either.

The reality is a QB takes time to develop.

How many Drew Brees will a team throw away in it's search for their Andrew Luck?

I didn't say we SHOULD do it. Just asking what if. Honestly, it doesn't seem to make sense given that you couldn't even hit for sure by doing it only in the first round (judging from post Flacco)

The TANK philosophy would work MUCH better, actually.

2. Brees was so spectacular his first 3 years, the Chargers drafted another QB looking to replace him.

Does that mean every QB is a Drew Brees? No, but every QB is not an Andrew Luck either.

How many Drew Brees will a team throw away in it's search for their Andrew Luck?

Social media and ESPN has killed this. I wonder how many great QBs would have been called to be benched after bad games early in their careers.

Great idea, there's about 20 other teams that love to hire that guy. Realisticly the Bills and every team has that guy, they know what the great QB looks like, the problem is there;s hardly anyone out there that has the skills.

what if we actually had a good QB evaluator so we only had to draft a QB once and then we would be all set for 10-15 years? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The OP said he would draft the first QB taken after the Bills' draft pick. So the first QB taken after Buffalo's first round pick was Drew Brees, which happened to be in the 2nd round.

No such thing as a good QB evaluator.

I agree with this! Getting a great franchise QB is probably a lot more random than people think. As a strategy, you probably should draft a QB every year to provide optionality. The position is so important that you have to do it that way. Teams fool themselves into believing the old myth that you can only have one QB. Therefore since we have one we like we can't have another one around and create a controversy. Pure BS.

Brees was a Pro Bowler in SD, what are you talking about?