I know nonone would actually say it but do you think Whaley might actu

Cant judge a coach or win playoff games without a solid qb that has a decent enough Oline line to keep him upright and to create some holes here and there for the runners.

Until then I wouldnt fire anyone because you don't know what kind of coach he is yet.

it's easier to overreact, imagine every negative scenario and fire......

giphy.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that is I think it's Marrone's offense. They work together and Hackett designs a lot of the plays in the playbook and calls most of them during the game, but I believe it's Marrone who decides who plays, what formations (2-3 TE and bunch) they run and how much of it they run in each game. Firing NH wouldn't change much unless Whaley ordered that too, and that would be harder to do, plus put Marrone in an untenable situation with his GM.

Schwartz really complicates matters, too. It's hard to fire Marrone, keep Schwartz, and not piss Schwartz off giving the job to his contemporary. The only thing that works IMO is fire Marrone, hire Malzhan or Sumlin from college to be HC but just run the offense, give Schwartz a big raise and Assistant HC title and more responsibility, which will help him get his next HC job. I would actually like that I think.

I can see that. But if we finish 10-6, which I think Marrone may need to do anyway, the ONE glaring biggest issue with the team is the offensive performance but Marrone is the HC that got us to 10-6 and we can't fire half of him for designing the offense. And for political reasons, I'm positive you don't fire a coach after a 10-6 season. So, NH becomes the sacrificial lamb in the equation and Marrone has a choice to either stay or not.

Probably a moot point anyway, as I honestly think he needs better than 8-8, if not 10-6, to stay on and that's a tall order. The Pegulas and the consultant they bring in to evaluate the organization, are big wild cards though.

GO BILLS!!!

I can see that. But if we finish 10-6, which I think Marrone may need to do anyway, the ONE glaring biggest issue with the team is the offensive performance but Marrone is the HC that got us to 10-6 and we can't fire half of him for designing the offense. And for political reasons, I'm positive you don't fire a coach after a 10-6 season. So, NH becomes the sacrificial lamb in the equation and Marrone has a choice to either stay or not.

Probably a moot point anyway, as I honestly think he needs better than 8-8, if not 10-6, to stay on and that's a tall order. The Pegulas and the consultant they bring in to evaluate the organization, are big wild cards though.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup. But if he finishes 10-6 I think you have to keep him and Hackett.

The difficulty I have with all this "fire Hackett" talk is that I'm not at all certain he's the problem. He was saddled with three jamokes at QB last year, now has a dreadful QB who seems to be checking down on every play, has had to work with an inept O-line for two years, and must work around Marrone's personnel decisions about "the best 5 players," and who's getting the start or is not even in uniform on game day. I also suspect that Marrone does a whole lot of interfering in offensive planning and in the play-calling. I would love to see some in-depth, investigative reporting by one the crack reporters who follow this team about just how much authority Hackett has, and how much of the God-awful performances week after week are the responsibility/blame of Marrone.

It's impossible imo to blame Hackett more and above Marrone. I think Doug completely changed his style this year with the players and media alike. It's backfiring big time. The defensive players clearly love playing with each other and the enthusiasm is palpable. You look at the other side of the ball that the head coach is in total command of and there's nothing cohesive about it and they aren't playing for each other.

Yup. But if he finishes 10-6 I think you have to keep him and Hackett.

Don't know about that. Even at 10-6, the offense will be looked at as the Achilles heel of this team, as the element that needs to be changed to get to the next level.

But if that does occur, I won't be half as pissed about that as you will. I've liked a lot more than I've disliked of these play designs. The All 22 doesn't lie: we CONSTANTLY have more than one receiver open at any given time. Even in the redzone. And it's painfully obvious we don't have a QB that's willing to or can't get the ball to them consistently. Or some other untimely breakdown on the OL kills the play.

I understand your frustration with the personnel packages, but that's a work in progress as pieces get added moving forward. I understand why Hackett prefers multiple TEs even if I don't always like it. I'd like to think he can adapt like we did back in the day. Yes, we need the QB of course, but Kelly's offense wasn't created overnight, either.

I'd like to think that anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't know about that. Even at 10-6, the offense will be looked at as the Achilles heel of this team, as the element that needs to be changed to get to the next level.

But if that does occur, I won't be half as pissed about that as you will. I've liked a lot more than I've disliked of these play designs. The All 22 doesn't lie: we CONSTANTLY have more than one receiver open at any given time. Even in the redzone. And it's painfully obvious we don't have a QB that's willing to or can't get the ball to them consistently. Or some other untimely breakdown on the OL kills the play.

I understand your frustration with the personnel packages, but that's a work in progress as pieces get added moving forward. I understand why Hackett prefers multiple TEs even if I don't always like it. I'd like to think he can adapt like we did back in the day. Yes, we need the QB of course, but Kelly's offense wasn't created overnight, either.

I'd like to think that anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

IF we finish 10-6 that means we beat the Packers and the Patriots, and that would mean, unless a completely bizarre game, that our offense played well enough to beat a very good team twice. That would be massive improvement right when we needed it most and likely gets us into the playoffs. It would also mean we didn't tank out west against Oakland. I would still blame the offense for not getting into the playoffs if we lose to them, because I felt that they could have done better, but if we finish 10-6 I will totally be in favor of keeping them, not disappointed we have to.

I complain about the formations a lot. I think we really ruined a chance at a much better offense. But I also know if Bryce Brown didnt fumble and Chandler didnt flub the recovery we could have easily won the KC game. If Orton hits an open Sammy on fourth down on the final play we win another game. We were close.

Hackett is young. Marrone is young. They are less than two years into their careers in these jobs. There is really no apprenticeship for being a Head Coach or Pro OC and calling plays. They can get better. There are things I like about both of them and things I don't like. But if they finish 10-6 I'll be in full favor. I just don't think that is going to happen.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

IF we finish 10-6 that means we beat the Packers and the Patriots, and that would mean, unless a completely bizarre game, that our offense played well enough to beat a very good team twice. That would be massive improvement right when we needed it most and likely gets us into the playoffs. It would also mean we didn't tank out west against Oakland. I would still blame the offense for not getting into the playoffs if we lose to them, because I felt that they could have done better, but if we finish 10-6 I will totally be in favor of keeping them, not disappointed we have to.

I complain about the formations a lot. I think we really ruined a chance at a much better offense. But I also know if Bryce Brown didnt fumble and Chandler didnt flub the recovery we could have easily won the KC game. If Orton hits an open Sammy on fourth down on the final play we win another game. We were close.

Hackett is young. Marrone is young. They are less than two years into their careers in these jobs. There is really no apprenticeship for being a Head Coach or Pro OC and calling plays. They can get better. There are things I like about both of them and things I don't like. But if they finish 10-6 I'll be in full favor. I just don't think that is going to happen.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think they both stay if 10-6 happens, although I don't know if that means playoffs at this point. There may be a couple 10-6 finishers with better conference records, but until someone says we're out of it, we're gonna win the friggin' SB.

But if it WERE a case of a sacrificial lamb having to be offered up, I could see the possibility of Marrone asking Hackett to step down.

I appreciate your softening stance on them as well. You may no be as intractable as you let on.

GO BILLS!!!

The difficulty I have with all this "fire Hackett" talk is that I'm not at all certain he's the problem. He was saddled with three jamokes at QB last year, now has a dreadful QB who seems to be checking down on every play, has had to work with an inept O-line for two years, and must work around Marrone's personnel decisions about "the best 5 players," and who's getting the start or is not even in uniform on game day. I also suspect that Marrone does a whole lot of interfering in offensive planning and in the play-calling. I would love to see some in-depth, investigative reporting by one the crack reporters who follow this team about just how much authority Hackett has, and how much of the God-awful performances week after week are the responsibility/blame of Marrone.

He wasnt checking down every play when he first took the reins

I think this off season three things could happen:

2) Whaley instructs DM to fire Hackett and DM refuses. Then DM also gets shown the door. In defense of DM, if I were him I'd argue that it will be difficult to bring in a new OC unless DM's contract is extended as who wants to work for a lame duck coach. If I recall correctly that was the same argument Wade Phillips made to RW at the time, but it didn't work that time either. It's also possible that Whaley puts many conditions on DM hoping he'll not accept them giving him an excuse to fire him. Wade had a a much longer and successful resume than DM does, so for Wade, he could play that card and not worry about getting rehired. For Marrone if he refuses to meet conditions and gets fired, he'll likely struggle to get another shot even in college, so not so sure Doug would be dumb enough to go down that route.

So will see what happens in a month, will be very surprised if at least Hackett isn't gone by New Years.

i agree with Whaley wanting to axe Hackett. Before they axed him they brought in the "special assistant" guy from Baltimore and the QB coach from Detroit. It just makes sense to cut bait with him. If Marrone presses to keep Hackett (I actually don't believe he will) then Marrone will be gone. I think we can count on a few things this offseason... 1) Hackett is gone. 2) we acquire 2 guards that will start for us from free agency or the draft. 3)Spiller will be gone unless he signs for a very big hometown discount. 4) We draft a running back and a big WR or tight end. I promise to refer to this the day after the draft

i agree with Whaley wanting to axe Hackett. Before they axed him they brought in the "special assistant" guy from Baltimore and the QB coach from Detroit. It just makes sense to cut bait with him. If Marrone presses to keep Hackett (I actually don't believe he will) then Marrone will be gone. I think we can count on a few things this offseason... 1) Hackett is gone. 2) we acquire 2 guards that will start for us from free agency or the draft. 3)Spiller will be gone unless he signs for a very big hometown discount. 4) We draft a running back and a big WR or tight end. I promise to refer to this the day after the draft

I hope we draft another QB. I hope Pegula's personal brand as an owner is to draft one every draft until they find a franchise QB.

Regardless of round, take the QB that gathers the most buzz among scouts.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think they both stay if 10-6 happens, although I don't know if that means playoffs at this point. There may be a couple 10-6 finishers with better conference records, but until someone says we're out of it, we're gonna win the friggin' SB.

But if it WERE a case of a sacrificial lamb having to be offered up, I could see the possibility of Marrone asking Hackett to step down.

I appreciate your softening stance on them as well. You may no be as intractable as you let on.

GO BILLS!!!

You guys are crazy! Marrone and Hackett will both be back next year, even if we go 7-9. They're going to get another chance.

I think we aquire one guard and the other is on the team now. Richardson with a year under his belt, could be the answer. Henderson wit ha year under his belt and a good guard on one side could make Ubrik, Richardson, or anyone else look much better.

I think we aquire one guard and the other is on the team now. Richardson with a year under his belt, could be the answer. Henderson wit ha year under his belt and a good guard on one side could make Ubrik, Richardson, or anyone else look much better.

Let's hope Kujo can at least be able to be the swing tackle going forward or move inside. The lack of news about him, good or bad, it's alarming.

Cant judge a coach or win playoff games without a solid qb that has a decent enough Oline line to keep him upright and to create some holes here and there for the runners.

Until then I wouldnt fire anyone because you don't know what kind of coach he is yet.

Would it be only appropriate then to judge GM's who can't get decent starting QBs or offensive linemen?

I don't think Whaley will make any moves on his own. I feel he will wait to see what the new owners think about the team, and take it from there. Then the Pegula's are reported to be interested in hiring a senior adviser as a consultant. I would think that any NFL consultant with a reasonable NFL IQ would suggest making changes to the offensive coaching staff. Quite possibly Marrone along with his entire offensive staff, and most definitely Hackett will be gone. A wasted season with a championship defense, and a JV offense

Lets get real here. I just don't see the Bills keeping pace scoring wise with either the Packers or the Patriots. Then the Raiders just managed to beat the 49ers in Oakland with Derek Carr throwing 22 of 28 for 258 yards, 3 TD's. Their opponent in the 49ers currently have the #3 defense in the NFL.

7-9 could easily be all she wrote this year.

I thought Marrone's resume was a bit light on qualifications to be named an NFL Head Coach. Problem is nobody wanted the job!

What if Marrone is fired, and NOBODY wants the job again? It just blows the mind that this team has this kind of talent, yet again for 16 years, we can't even get decent QB play, or coaching/play-calling that makes any sense?

Funny little secret: the biggest reason big-name coaches don't want this job is even their massive egos know they can't win without a QB. That sorta tells you how overrated those guys actually are.

There are still bright young minds that will jump at the chance of taking 1 of 32 precious jobs in the world. You just quite obviously cannot trust Russ Brandon to have any clue on what those guys look like.