I know nonone would actually say it but do you think Whaley might actu

Funny little secret: the biggest reason big-name coaches don't want this job is even their massive egos know they can't win without a QB. That sorta tells you how overrated those guys actually are.

There are still bright young minds that will jump at the chance of taking 1 of 32 precious jobs in the world. You just quite obviously cannot trust Russ Brandon to have any clue on what those guys look like.

It's not much of a secret, actually.

And Russ Brandon is no longer involved in that side of the business, so you don't have to worry about that.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be only appropriate then to judge GM's who can't get decent starting QBs or offensive linemen?

after having two years to make any changes he wants. Then the 2015 first round & fourth round picks are gone on the 4th ranked rookie WR. #14 Evans, #23 Beckham, #24 Benjamin all have more yards, TD's then Watkins.

5 years later, and still no baby... thanks for nothing Buddy.

after having two years to make any changes he wants. Then the 2015 first round & fourth round picks are gone on the 4th ranked rookie WR. #14 Evans, #23 Beckham, #24 Benjamin all have more yards, TD's then Watkins.

5 years later, and still no baby... thanks for nothing Buddy.

Clearly, drafting Sammy was a mistake when all those other guys have been so much more productive.

What a myopic viewpoint.

When it's all said and done, Sammy Watkins will prove to be the best receiver in this class. Not one of the those receivers brings the total package that Watkins does.

Enjoy the ridiculing now, though. It's always easier to kick a man when he's down.

GO BILLS!!!

Whaley was instrumental in the hiring of Coach Marrone. Would look bad for him to fire Coach Marronw so soon. I could see him telling a coach Marrone he has to fire Hackett Jr or going heavy on O talent in FA. Guards, QB that sort of thing.

If we win 8 or more it would be hard to pull a fire everyone move.

Edited by reddogblitz

Funny little secret: the biggest reason big-name coaches don't want this job is even their massive egos know they can't win without a QB. That sorta tells you how overrated those guys actually are.

There are still bright young minds that will jump at the chance of taking 1 of 32 precious jobs in the world. You just quite obviously cannot trust Russ Brandon to have any clue on what those guys look like.

Actually, it's not the QB situation. The reason(and it's no secret) is the Bills have always been CHEAP when it comes to paying a head coach and his staff. Hopefully Pegula opens up his checkbook.

Good post. I agree on all fronts.

I think Whaley could and would fire Marrone at the end of this season (if we lose to the Pack and the Pats, which we may not). I wouldn't bet on it, and maybe not even predict it. But I think he may, depending on what the Pegulas think of Marrone (and to some degree, what Brandon's input is).

I agree with these thoughts as well.

And call me crazy, but after watching the Packers/Falcons last night I really wouldn't be surprised if the Bills win on Sunday. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is playing unbelievably well, but Green Bay's defense is nothing to fear.

I don't know what the mystery is here about MIke Williams... Woods, Hogan and Watkins are the reason he's not starting, plain and simple. I admire Marrone for not just playing a guy because he complains, and or has a big contract. I never saw the guy "killin it" at any time. I think he is a serviceable player, and he was brought in to compete for a spot given Woods average play last year, and the unknowns in Hogan and Sammy, but that's what good teams do. They bring players in to compete, bottom line.. In years past, we would have seen Mike Williams till we choked on his average play, just because, remember T.O. ?? The Bills are starting to act like a good team right now, and that's why we've seen an improvement in the win column.

As far as the Marrone debate, I personally think the guy can coach. Considering that we still don't have a franchise QB in place for at least the next 3 years, if we draft one that is, this team is some execution away from a 9-4 record. so I do not subscribe to the revolving door at the head coach position at all. I like the attitude and culture on the team for a change.

I agree with those that say NH might not be the problem. I don't see any coach taking EJ and Orton to the playoffs any better or worse than DM and NH. What I saw/see this year was a team that really was a few plays away from being a serious playoff contender. Even losing in Denver, we could very easily be 9 - 4 (and yes with a few bounces we could be 6 - 7) but that is how it goes. Take the refs out of the equation, and who knows where we're at? I was hard on NH all year, saw no creativity, but more and more I'm starting to think that DM might be more involved with the offense than initially thought, and if so, NH has done well in spite of DM's interference. I think, regardless of our final record, we go all in on the important aspects of keeping our D together for at least another two three years, and shore up the Oline as best as possible, and look to FA for a QB to compete with EJ and Orton. I think this is the plan, and I would be ok with it. What's one more yea, eh?

As far as the Marrone debate, I personally think the guy can coach. Considering that we still don't have a franchise QB in place for at least the next 3 years, if we draft one that is, this team is some execution away from a 9-4 record.

I have seen this argument made on TBD many times this season. However, isn't getting the team to execute the coaches responsibility as well? A team that executes is a well coached team. Is it not? A team that gets a lot of penalties and doesn't execute is a poorly coached team.

Yet it's not Doug and Nate's fault because they coach well and have a good plan but the players aren't good enough to execute it? That's your position?

I have seen this argument made on TBD many times this season. However, isn't getting the team to execute the coaches responsibility as well? A team that executes is a well coached team. Is it not? A team that gets a lot of penalties and doesn't execute is a poorly coached team.

Yet it's not Doug and Nate's fault because they coach well and have a good plan but the players aren't good enough to execute it? That's your position?

The Seahawks are a very well coached team and they lead the league in penalties. In fact, they have committed 55 more penalties than have been called in their favor. That's a ton. Denver is third, New England is fourth. Both are very well coached teams.

FWIW, Tampa is #2 and the Bills are #5.

The Seahawks are a very well coached team and they lead the league in penalties. In fact, they have committed 55 more penalties than have been called in their favor. That's a ton. Denver is third, New England is fourth. Both are very well coached teams.

FWIW, Tampa is #2 and the Bills are #5.

You only took 1/2 my argument. All of those other well coached teams you mention can also execute and execute well.

Doing illegal things and trying to get away with it is the Seahawks' strategy, so that's not surprising that they have a lot of penalties.

Edited by reddogblitz

You only took 1/2 my argument. All of those other well coached teams you mention can also execute and execute well.

Doing illegal things and trying to get away with it is the Seahawks' strategy, so that's not surprising that they have a lot of penalties.

Well the Bills have a great defense. Doesn't that mean they execute well? The Bills have 36 penalties on offense for 259 yards, and 51 on defense for 491 yards (although I guess defensive yards would normally be slightly more because of interference calls). But that's still almost 50% more on well executing defense.

Well the Bills have a great defense. Doesn't that mean they execute well? The Bills have 36 penalties on offense for 259 yards, and 51 on defense for 491 yards (although I guess defensive yards would normally be slightly more because of interference calls). But that's still almost 50% more on well executing defense.

So if a team executes well on D but not O that counts as a well executing and well coached team?

My point is we're losing games due to poor execution and that reflects directly back on the coaching staff. You haven't convinced me otherwise.

So if a team executes well on D but not O that counts as a well executing and well coached team?

My point is we're losing games due to poor execution and that reflects directly back on the coaching staff. You haven't convinced me otherwise.

I agree we're losing games due to poor execution and that reflects badly on the coaching staff. I have just never agreed that a lot of penalties or a few unnecessary roughness penalties, or a bunch of offsides and false starts is to be blamed on the coaches.

I want a HC with an extensive background on offense.

CBF

The sad thing is Marrone has an extensive offensive background. A three year Letterman as an O linemen at Syracuse. A 6th round pick by the Raiders in 86 as an ex NFL O lineman, a year with the Dolphins, a year with the Saints, a year with London Monarchs. He only played a total of five games as an NFL lineman.

Then his coaching experience is rather extensive, as an assistant offensive coach from 1992 to 2001 in College. Then in 2002 he was hired as the O line coach by the Jets for four years, then spent three years as the OC for the Saints. Then four years at Syracuse as head coach before coming to Buffalo.

I really question his NFL knowledge in allowing Nathaniel Hackett to run his offense the last two years. In letting three rookie QB's on the roster with no QB coach, or veteran QB. Then having a average QB like Orton throw 40 times a game while running only half that is just plain stupid. Much less 57 times a game is simply beyond ridiculous.

Doug Marrone may eventually be a good NFL head coach, who knows. All I do know Is i don't care to wait another 3-5 years to see if he will eventually develop into one. Plus, at this point I'm not so certain that simply firing Hackett, and replacing him with a known NFL talent at OC will make much difference.

I look at the Denver Broncos this week who have an elite QB in Peyton Manning, and only threw it 20 times vs 29 rushes. Manning didn't even throw for a TD which stopped his steak at 51 games. He also had his lowest QB rating the last six years. I suppose for them its far more important to devise an offensive scheme to actually win games.

In all honesty I don't know who the Bills could hire that would allow them to keep Schwartz as DC, and it certainly wouldn't be Jim Harbaugh. Perhaps Bill Cowher can be lured away from TV with an 8 mill per deal, as I see he might be the only man on the planet to build a team that can knock the Patriots off their lofty perch.

The sad thing is Marrone has an extensive offensive background. A three year Letterman as an O linemen at Syracuse. A 6th round pick by the Raiders in 86 as an ex NFL O lineman, a year with the Dolphins, a year with the Saints, a year with London Monarchs. He only played a total of five games as an NFL lineman.

As did Coach Gailey and Coach Malarkey.

Yup. But if he finishes 10-6 I think you have to keep him and Hackett.

Remember that Marty Schottenheimer was fired by San Diego after a 14-2 season because of differences with management. Nothing is guaranteed. I hate seeing the merry-go--round of coaches but with a probable 8-8 finish, it's tough to keep Marrone when you look at the talent on this team. The Watkins trade could also be Whaley's undoing.