Raise The Gas Tax

Tiberius

But Tasker, (as you pointed out earlier)

The poor government is already suffering with these lower gas prices......................you know because that money really should have been theirs, not ours.

Don't we "owe" them a blank check ?

The Federal gas tax is a flat amount per gallon, 18.4 cpg gasoline and 22.4 cpg diesel, not a percentage of sale. The government hasn't seen any decrease in revenue because of falling gas prices. Quite the opposite, decreasing prices leads to increasing consumption. We are seeing increasing sales which are directly tied to increasing tax revenues.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to take the time to read what Gaytorman says, but anything that starts off about raising taxes won't win me over disirregardless of what it says.

I don't think a Constitutional amendment is necessary for this or for paper money

Until Bush v2 comes in office raids the coffers to fund a war in Ghana. Or Obama v2 raids the coffers to fund the kickoff of Affordable Tire Replacement Act.

What many people object to (and I believe they're justified in this) is that all that money from the 'Stimulus' spending was supposed to be used for (quoting the President) 'infrastructure - you know, roads and bridges'. Can everyone now just admit that was a lie?

The bridge on my property is a lie? No way! You mean not even 2 years after it was proposed and 3 years in to its progress the Obama administrations goal of High Speed Rail up and down the East coast is a lie? The bridge that was built to be part of a vital infrastructure to develop high speed mass transportation is now more pointless? The three dozen other bridges NC built in the last year along this rail corridor are now wasted? The hundreds of bridges built this year in NC, the I485, the new highways and tollways around Raleigh, the rural highways where entire mountains were moved to ensure the very thing this PA dude is asking for have been a joke.

“What many people object to (and I believe they're justified in this) is that all that money from the 'Stimulus' spending was supposed to be used for (quoting the President) 'infrastructure - you know, roads and bridges'. Can everyone now just admit that was a lie?”

Maybe my problem is that I am on a PPP board where people have found a place to voice.

Do we have wrestle every issue a lib/cons Obama/whoever Fox/Rachel soapbox? I have no idea where the stimulus money went to…but I do know that if $$ goes into infrastructure it may very well be our best use of taxpayer funds. Rather than evaporative funding like welfare etc…at least highways roads etc. are something that have returns for decades and as well the money spent on them does have actual ripple effects.

Whether “stimulus” was a lie is irrelevant to me – what is important is that we properly fund our infrastructure moving forward.

If you have no idea where the stimulus money went then why are you opining?

The only reason the Feds don't have the money to rebuild the nation's infrastructure many times over is because they spend over 2/3 of the budget paying other people's bills. It'd be like my wife running around spending tens of thousands of dollars on questionable charities, then telling me to get a part time job to pay for around the house maintenance.

Since part of POTUS' original stimulus money (way back when...) was earmarked for shovel-ready infrastructure, and then it was found that there were precious few shovel-ready projects...what happened to that earmarked money?

Thus the the need for a constitutional amendment, blood oath, or non-Democrat President.

Since part of POTUS' original stimulus money (way back when...) was earmarked for shovel-ready infrastructure, and then it was found that there were precious few shovel-ready projects...what happened to that earmarked money?

Thus the the need for a constitutional amendment, blood oath, or non-Democrat President.

Blood oath and non-Democrat President don't get it done.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

The bridge on my property is a lie? No way! You mean not even 2 years after it was proposed and 3 years in to its progress the Obama administrations goal of High Speed Rail up and down the East coast is a lie? The bridge that was built to be part of a vital infrastructure to develop high speed mass transportation is now more pointless? The three dozen other bridges NC built in the last year along this rail corridor are now wasted? The hundreds of bridges built this year in NC, the I485, the new highways and tollways around Raleigh, the rural highways where entire mountains were moved to ensure the very thing this PA dude is asking for have been a joke.

Are all those projects in NC federally funded as part of the stimulus, or are they funded by NC?

Are all those projects in NC federally funded as part of the stimulus, or are they funded by NC?

mixtures of both. the expansion for bridges over the railways and around are all federal. the two bridges down the road from me are both federal and over $100mm. one bridge, my bridge, is going to replace a bridge that was built in 1990. the existing bridge allowed cars to traverse the railway at grade with a standard rail crossing. the new bridge goes over it.

the other bridge is brand new and replacing an at grade crossing.

these are all federally funded. and then blowing up the mountains for 220 and such up toward boone is federal.

...what happened to that earmarked money?

Most it was laundered to Obama donors, and the rest was apparently spent on signs that were put up around the country to let people know that their money was being used to put up signs that let people know their money was being used.

I was wondering how long it would take the statists to float the idea of lower gas prices as an excuse for higher gas tax. People won't notice the increased tax since they were already used to paying a higher price.

But what happens when the price of gas inevitably goes back up? Whose fault will it be, why the greedy Oil Companies of course!

Reminds me, a couple of years the state of Virginia had a grand compromise to eliminate the Gas Tax by increasing the state sales tax.

Sales tax hike went into effect

Now politicians are complaining theres no money for roads and we need to implement a gas tax, but no talk of rolling back the increased sales tax.

Edited by /dev/null

mixtures of both. the expansion for bridges over the railways and around are all federal. the two bridges down the road from me are both federal and over $100mm. one bridge, my bridge, is going to replace a bridge that was built in 1990. the existing bridge allowed cars to traverse the railway at grade with a standard rail crossing. the new bridge goes over it.

the other bridge is brand new and replacing an at grade crossing.

these are all federally funded. and then blowing up the mountains for 220 and such up toward boone is federal.

It's good to know that at least some of the money is being spent for what they say, but I still wonder how much of that came from gasoline tax, the general fund, or stimulus. I imagine I'd have to go to the GAO to learn that.

It's good to know that at least some of the money is being spent for what they say, but I still wonder how much of that came from gasoline tax, the general fund, or stimulus. I imagine I'd have to go to the GAO to learn that.

I can tell you that a portion of the "stimulus" was spent puting a sidewalk in on the wide two house culdesac I live on. They also put up a huge orange sign, which no one but me and my neighbor can see but managed to be a huge eyesore, advertising that federal funds were used to put in the sidewalk.

I lost roughly 5 feet of property running along the entire portion of my land abutting the street, and no one has ever used the sidewalk.

I'm not joking.

I can tell you that a portion of the "stimulus" was spent puting a sidewalk in on the wide two house culdesac I live on. They also put up a huge orange sign, which no one but me and my neighbor can see but managed to be a huge eyesore, advertising that federal funds were used to put in the sidewalk.

I lost roughly 5 feet of property running along the entire portion of my land abutting the street, and no one has ever used the sidewalk.

I'm not joking.

:lol:

I don't quite understand how the party of the "working man" keeps calling for policies that disproportionately hurt the poor.

First amnesty.

Now they want to raise the gas tax.

What they won't 'report' to you is that the hard core green lobby is ticked off at falling gas prices. So like clock work....by rule...their cronies in the Dem party that understand too "if you want more of something, subsidize it, if you want less of something, tax it," start the call to raise the gas tax.

This is getting old. Glad we here in VA dumped it. $2.38 a gallon today.

Edited by Big Blitz

What really can be the solution? How do we fund our bridges and roads better? Tieing funding to fossil fuel consumption in a "green world" where others tear up the infrastucture just as much, if not more, and get a reward for doing it, is just not cutting it. All so we can say: "We saved the earth" when in fact we may have actually done more harm somewhere else?

Even for me, that's quite a riddle!

With technology... It has to be miles driven coupled with fossil fuel taxes tacked on and above. But how do we address privacy issues with that concept. @ tax time, are people really going to want to certify how many miles driven. That would be an open door to a world of mess.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Infrastructure is a huge need, and from what I've seen all walks of political life agree on it... it's crazy that it continues to be a big problem here. One can only assume money that is supposed to go towards infrastructure is lining someone's pockets and/or other money that is supposed to go to infrastructure gets re-routed into other spending with shinier political ramifications.

It's rather frustrating.