Doug Marrone: Jerry Hughes Wasn't Disciplined by Me

You may be on to something here. Hughes had a rough first half vs. the run, but not any worse than what Lawson and Bradham did on that 47 yard run in the 3rd. Certainly didn't see anything screaming "bench him." Hard to believe the personal foul penalty was enough to get him benched, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Again, first downs are run downs and Hughes is in 90% of them. Maybe short yardage plays Lawson is in, and the rotation series. But most run downs Hughes has been in, except for short yardage packages and even then he sometimes seems to play at times.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, first downs are run downs and Hughes is in 90% of them. Maybe short yardage plays Lawson is in, and the rotation series. But most run downs Hughes has been in, except for short yardage packages and even then he sometimes seems to play at times.

And really the one example we have of him in was first and goal from the 3- a run down

I don't disagree at all. I'm just trying to find a reason why Hughes was taken out and all I can come up with is that he didn't have a great 1st half against the run; got caught inside and lost contain a couple times. Hard to believe it was just the personal foul called against him. Maybe we'll learn more over the nest few days.

GO BILLS!!!

How do you not know if one of your best players and playmakers is on the field or not, and what the reason is. That answer was bull ****.

After sitting behind the bench and watching Marrone meander about with little interest in what was ocurring on the field, I could totally believe that he doesn't know who's on the field. He looked completely listless and disinterested. If a team takes on the personality of their head coach, then I think the offense does have their identity that everyone wonders about.

other than QB, the bills are physically equal to the top teams. the difference is mental (11 penalties vs denver).

for the season, Hughes is Buffalo's most-penalized player. Officials have flagged him 12 times (four of them declined).

you can't win with mental midgets who help the other team extend drives.

winning organizations like new england discard these types of players (see spikes).

looks like schwartz has some stones and marrone is clueless.

Edited by papazoid

How do you not know if one of your best players and playmakers is on the field or not, and what the reason is. That answer was bull ****.

Exactly! Either Marrone is so inept that he didn't know one of his best players wasn't on the field, or he's a flat out liar! Either way, he needs to get the axe along with Hackett and Whaley. They're all incompetent.

Or... maybe the coaches identified that Peyton Manning was simply not going to allow any of our defensive linemen to touch him. The ball was coming out of his hand on the rare occasions when he decided to pass the ball within 2 seconds.

In fact, the defensive formations were more or less pleading with Manning to run the ball, which is exactly what he decided to do. For the most part that plan worked, as the defense kept the Broncos' offense in check. Alas, the whiffed tackle by A. Williams on the long Thompson run and the poor officiating on the part of the refs further aided the Broncos' offense and led to the 3 TDs they scored.

I really think Hughes' playing time is a non-issue. I guarantee he sees ample snaps next week against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

Or... maybe the coaches identified that Peyton Manning was simply not going to allow any of our defensive linemen to touch him. The ball was coming out of his hand on the rare occasions when he decided to pass the ball within 2 seconds.

In fact, the defensive formations were more or less pleading with Manning to run the ball, which is exactly what he decided to do. For the most part that plan worked, as the defense kept the Broncos' offense in check. Alas, the whiffed tackle by A. Williams on the long Thompson run and the poor officiating on the part of the refs further aided the Broncos' offense and led to the 3 TDs they scored.

I really think Hughes' playing time is a non-issue. I guarantee he sees ample snaps next week against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

It's often smart to ponder alternate reasons for what may have occurred. It doesn't tie in as nicely as an agenda, but it's more likely true. Good thoughts.

coaches should not have to discipline players, this isn't the third grade, play smart and the rest takes care of it self

playing smart and disciplined is not teachable, to those who refuse to be taught

Edited by rumblefish

It's often smart to ponder alternate reasons for what may have occurred. It doesn't tie in as nicely as an agenda, but it's more likely true. Good thoughts.

But Marrone specifically said I thought he should sit a little while and calm down. That was the reason they took him out, not the running of the Broncos. Plus, not only has Hughes been very good against the run this year but it happened before it became so clear that the Broncos were not going to pass very much.

Screw hughes. Dude has 12 penalties this year.....his job is to attack the qb. How does a player at his position have 12 penalties?...

Several of them were trying to get a jump on the snap. Mario and Kyle and Dareus have had their share of those, too. One was for congratulating a teammate.

He clearly has had too many though.

That said, do you take his overall play snap after snap after snap as a trade off? I would every single time. I think every head coach and DC would (which is why this thread exists). I guarantee some team or multiple teams offer him 10m a year to get so many penalties because they surely will know he got them before making their offer.