Reasons for the loss

We should probably have one thread like this each week. Just a weekly top five or top ten list of what posters think the hierarchy of reasons we won or lost.

To me... It's hard to put them in order... But... The reasons we lost were...

1. Orton was off. And a wimp. And took too many dump offs. And didn't throw the ball downfield to his playmakers.

1a. Very close to 1: The Marrone Hackett offense that is not designed around our playmakers like Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams.

3. Aaron Williams, who I like a lot, made two huge errors. The first was the first bomb to Welker where he was in position and just blew the angle allowing a 38 yard play. The second was he totally blew the tackle and angle on the 47 run from scrimmage by the second string RB.

4. The calls by the refs. I hate to put it this high but there were about five huge calls that were significant in the game.

5. Chandler, who had a good game for the most part, dropped the fourth down pass. Tough catch but in his hands.

6. Marrone benching Hughes. He can't do that. Hughes is an emotional player. He benefits from it more than it hurts us.

7 Kyle Williams and whomever made the bad block on the Int returns. We didn't see them so perhaps they were bad calls. But those lost 75 or so yards and cost at least 3 and maybe up to 14 points. It's stupid.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 1 is THE reason we lost. Orton had chances to get us points early and threw them away or slid them away.

Quietly, the other big reason in my mind was field position. We usually do so well in this area and it was way lopsided today. A couple bad punts / punts deep in our own territory, an INT in our territory, etc. This kind of goes with your #7.

We should probably have one thread like this each week. Just a weekly top five or top ten list of what posters think the hierarchy of reasons we won or lost.

1. Orton was off. And a wimp. And took too many dump offs. And didn't throw the ball downfield to his playmakers.

1a. Very close to 1: The Marrone Hackett offense that is not designed around our playmakers like Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams.

3. Aaron Williams, who I like a lot, made two huge errors. The first was the first bomb to Welker where he was in position and just blew the angle allowing a 38 yard play. The second was he totally blew the tackle and angle on the 47 run from scrimmage by the second string RB.

4. The calls by the refs. I hate to put it this high but there were about five huge calls that were significant in the game.

5. Chandler, who had a good game for the most part, dropped the fourth down pass. Tough catch but in his hands.

6. Marrone benching Hughes. He can't do that. Hughes is an emotional player. He benefits from it more than it hurts us.

7 Kyle Williams and whomever made the bad block on the Int returns. We didn't see them so perhaps they were bad calls. But those lost 75 or so yards and cost at least 3 and maybe up to 14 points. It's stupid.

I've said enough times that the two key 3rd down penalties cost the Bills a minimum of 10 points; then the two penalties on the INTs cost them points on offense. I can't say anything for certain yet because of those INT penalties, but given those 4 KEy calls, and when you lose by 7, it's hard not to put the refs #1.

Btw, there was also a huge Freddy run that was called back on a penalty. Anyone see that on replay?

Edited by TPS

Great idea and good post. I agree with almost all of them.

Mine:

1. Orton was terrible. His "slide" and two phantom sacks showed me everything I needed to know about his will to win. I think it will show up in film this week too for his teammates and I have to wonder if it'll have an effect. Obviously we can't see down the field in the traditional broadcast, but even if everyone was blanketed on those plays Orton flat out gave up before he had to.

2. Marrone's in game management continues to be awful. He runs the team like it's a college team and has no feel for the swings of momentum the game brings. He continues to misuse talent and inexplicably seems to enjoy making things harder than they need to be. Benching Hughes is the prime example of this. Punting on 4th and 2, down two scores with under 5 minutes remaining and facing off against a historic offense was the definition of not understanding the flow of a football game.

3. Kicking Teams were AWFUL. From kickoffs, to punts, to long snaps, to returns -- Teams were TERRIBLE and cost the Bills today. Crossman for all the hype this year should be gone. No more. He's awful. The onside attempt was terrible, let Carp do it for Pete's sake!

4. PENALTIES -- whether by hook or by crook, the flags got us the most today. I'd like to complain about the calls on the INTs but of course we never got to see those. I'd also like to complain about Hughes' PF but I'm pretty sure it was merited. Lord knows I was heated after that terrible call. I'm not going to blame the refs, they didn't cost the Bills... !@#$. I almost got through that with a straight face. The refs !@#$ing SUCKED OUT LOUD today.

GREAT NOW I'M ANGRY AGAIN! GRRRRRR!!!! :beer::nana:

Embarrassing that marrone clearly benched Hughes then he denies doing so to the media. He strikes me as a petty little mf'er and this is probably an extension of their training camp spat. His personal vendettas getting in the way of his own success similar to the Mike Williams situation and the previous situation with Kraig Urbik

When/if Jerry is considering re signing here, marrone is most likely a negative. Classic Douglas.

Edited by FluffHead

When exactly has Orton been on?

He has been worse than normal last few weeks if that's what you mean even in the last Jets game when he was saved by some really good catches mainly by Woods

he has always been like this. The receivers bail him out by making ridiculous catches. When they don't make them consistently he looks bad and when they make they make them he looks good. He has been throwing behind receivers for a while now and has been missing wide open targets forcing the ball into his first read. I'm starting to think the throw to your first read is on the coaches because all of the qbs we have had in the last two years have done this.

Embarrassing that marrone clearly benched Hughes then he denies doing so to the media. He strikes me as a petty little mf'er and this is probably an extension of their training camp spat. His personal vendettas getting in the way of his own success similar to the Mike Williams situation and the previous situation with Kraig Urbik

When/if Jerry is considering re signing here, marrone is most likely a negative. Classic Douglas.

Hughes gets a dumb penalty every game. Marrone has to have control over his guys

Hughes gets a dumb penalty every game. Marrone has to have control over his guys

I argue that that is crap, benching him does more harm than the penalty. It has negative implications for both the game and the chances of re-signing the player.

Also he does not need to handle the situation like a 13 year old girl and deny it ever happened in the media.

Edited by FluffHead

Jerry Hughes and his .6 penalties per game combined with Jerry Hughes and every other snap he takes. Do you make that trade?

Every friggin' time. We need him to win. You do not bench them to make a point. It's extreme negligence. We have been living with Hughes at his best and his hotheadedness the entire season, like Bradham, and the trade off is worth it 100% of the time

Jerry Hughes and his .6 penalties per game combined with Jerry Hughes and every other snap he takes. Do you make that trade?

Every friggin' time. We need him to win. You do not bench them to make a point. It's extreme negligence. We have been living with Hughes at his best and his hotheadedness the entire season, like Bradham, and the trade off is worth it 100% of the time

Agree 100%

HUGHES not being out there isn't the reason the bills lost but it was a petty move by an egotistical coach. He has held a grudge against players and bites off his nose to spite his face

Agree 100%

HUGHES not being out there isn't the reason the bills lost but it was a petty move by an egotistical coach. He has held a grudge against players and bites off his nose to spite his face

Hughes not being out there cost them 7 if not 10 points (IMO). The Donkeys ran right at Lawson and gashed them.

Edited by GreggyT