Offense almost unwatchable....

I have no problem questioning the ratio. I'm willing to bet that once the all-22's come out, we'll see 10 Browns defenders in the box the whole time, though.

And if we don't, fine, poor game plan.

But if we do, I won't expect anyone to say "oh, gee, ya know, may be the professional defenses on the other side of the ball are forcing us to pass to win and if we can't do that, then...gee...I don't know, may be it's because our QB sucks and not because the OC doesn't have a clue."

Well, considering two of our 2013 starters are struggling to stay on professional rosters right now, and the third is a presently a backup to...KYLE !@#$ING ORTON.

Let me play the same game that the playcallers do: do you think Orton is good?

No. Kyle Orton is not good. We could do much better at the QB position. We could also do worse. If we had a better QB, Nate Hackett would look like.a better OC, I'll give you that. Looking better than he does now doesn't mean that he's worthy of the job IMO. Our offense is extremely predictable. Good to see Marrone go for it on 4th again though.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many week 13 starters would you rather have?

Here's the list, the ones I'd take in bold.

Tom Brady (1)

Ryan Tannehill (2)

Geno Smith

Andy Dalton (3)

Joe Flacco (4)

Ben R. (5)

Brian Hoyer

Andrew Luck (6)

Ryan Fitz (7)

Blake Bortles

Metternburger

P Manning (8)

Rivers (9)

A. Smith (10)

Derek Carr

Mark Sanchez

Tony Romo (11)

Eli Manning (12)

Colt McCoy

Aaron Rodgers (13)

Matt Stafford (14)

Jay Cutler

T. Bridgewater

Drew Brees (15)

Matt Ryan (16)

Cam Newton (17)

Josh McCown

Drew Stanton

Russel Wilson (18)

Colin K. (19)

Shaun Hill

Yes, I put Fitz on that list. But as far as omissions go, it's not like Orton is substantially better than Sanchez, Bortlers, Cutler and Carr.

So I'd put him around the 20th best QB in the league, which is below average.

Put any of them on the team and hackett would still be clueless. Brady or Manning would simply call their own plays.

No. Kyle Orton is not good. We could do much better at the QB position. We could also do worse. If we had a better QB, Nate Hackett would look like.a better OC, I'll give you that. Looking better than he does now doesn't mean that he's worthy of the job IMO. Our offense is extremely predictable. Good to see Marrone go for it on 4th again though.

We have much more room to do better at QB than we have room to do worse, IMO. Meaning, it doesn't get THAT much worse than Orton. It does, but only in like a catastrophic butt-fumble way. Meanwhile, it could be A LOT better. Orton is not nearly accurate enough to be as immobile as he is, and quite frankly, his cement shoes REALLY eliminate an essential dimension to his (any quarterback's) game. And with the way he missed receivers yesterday, he's running low on redeeming qualities that matter when the bullets fly.

and you know what happened when he did in the 4th quarter? we had a 10 play 5 minute drive with a big gaining play action pass. if we were willing to grind it out all day, i think we would have been in good shape. i do not think we wouldve been shut out in the first half. power running, some screens and take what they give you passes to stay on schedule, with the occasional deep ball wouldve been the seemingly obvious formula.

You mean because we got one play call correct (the 41 yard pass to Gray)? The rest of the drive were runs of 6,3,8,1,1,2,-1 & 3 yards.... Boy we manhandled the line of scrimmage.

I have no problem questioning the ratio. I'm willing to bet that once the all-22's come out, we'll see 10 Browns defenders in the box the whole time, though.

And if we don't, fine, poor game plan.

But if we do, I won't expect anyone to say "oh, gee, ya know, may be the professional defenses on the other side of the ball are forcing us to pass to win and if we can't do that, then...gee...I don't know, may be it's because our QB sucks and not because the OC doesn't have a clue."

You act as if this is some big revelation and every offensive coordinator goes into a fetal position when the opposing DC stacks the box. But that's what separates varsity from JV. That's why Bills' defensive unit has improved since last year and the offense is regressing.

You act as if this is some big revelation and every offensive coordinator goes into a fetal position when the opposing DC stacks the box. But that's what separates varsity from JV. That's why Bills' defensive unit has improved since last year and the offense is regressing.

"GG, when the defense pushes the run-stop button, you can't run. You have to pass." - Nate Hackett

Well, I've already identified 19 quarterbacks whose OC's have a lot more success putting the ball in his hands, or, as is probably more likely the case, never face the problem of having opposing defenses prefer they pass the ball. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Hopefully you mean you want to read an interview where he states what he has learned. I don't want to SEE it in the middle of a playoff run. Once we are out of the running, sure.

I dunno...I really expected this offense to get better as the season progressed and it hasn't. Orton has missed a ton of throws over the past month. I'll concede you don't make a switch at QB when you've won two in a row, but if Orton gives us a clunker in Denver I would fully support bringing EJ back against Green Bay.

Wait, let me get this straight - your user name says "Fan" and you're "smirking" at the ineptitude of your team's offense?

Does..not...compute.

Smirk: to smile in an affected, smug, or offensively familiar way.

I was bloody frustrated at the offense and was smiling in a 'things will never get better" way. There was no humor in my smile.

I dunno...I really expected this offense to get better as the season progressed and it hasn't. Orton has missed a ton of throws over the past month. I'll concede you don't make a switch at QB when you've won two in a row, but if Orton gives us a clunker in Denver I would fully support bringing EJ back against Green Bay.

I don't think that would be a great notion. GB was eating Brady yesterday.

You mean because we got one play call correct (the 41 yard pass to Gray)? The rest of the drive were runs of 6,3,8,1,1,2,-1 & 3 yards.... Boy we manhandled the line of scrimmage.

id imagine in the 1st quarter, and not when solely burning clock we probably would sneak a couple more passes in there instead of a 9-1 split. ill also say one of those 1 yarders being on 3rd and 1 was a good thing despite not looking great in the average. im also not saying that it wouldve been some 40 point explosion, but that if there was a game to lean on D, special teams, and a run first offense -- this was it. we twice got to 3rd and 1 and twice converted it on that drive. in a day when we were otherwise 0-13 on 3rd downs, its progress.

Edited by NoSaint

EJ was definitely not doing well in his last two games. But the O 'looks' better with some throws and catches but the production has not markedly increased. We are kind of stuck right now with the two and the coaches have to decide who is less bad. Make no mistake, the first half of yesterday's game was close to rock bottom for the Bills O this season. The phenomenal catch by Woods changed the game. Woods should get yesterday's game ball.

id imagine in the 1st quarter, and not when solely burning clock we probably would sneak a couple more passes in there instead of a 9-1 split. ill also say one of those 1 yarders being on 3rd and 1 was a good thing despite not looking great in the average. im also not saying that it wouldve been some 40 point explosion, but that if there was a game to lean on D, special teams, and a run first offense -- this was it.

How many of those passes that you're butt hurt about were poorly thrown balls by Orton?

EJ was definitely not doing well in his last two games. But the O 'looks' better with some throws and catches but the production has not markedly increased. We are kind of stuck right now with the two and the coaches have to decide who is less bad. Make no mistake, the first half of yesterday's game was close to rock bottom for the Bills O this season. The phenomenal catch by Woods changed the game. Woods should get yesterday's game ball.

Actually production is up.

I take that back, it's not substantially better, you're right.

Edited by The Big Cat

How many of those passes that you're butt hurt about were poorly thrown balls by Orton?

plenty. but if you dont think our qb can hit a pass, why are you advocating for an oc that had him throw 20 times in the first half against a weak run D?

did the run run pass stuff from a few weeks ago get in his head? you can still do that sometimes. just not ALL the time.