IF Game is Monday, will it be televised nationally? (update: On DTV)

That was a Tuesday night and did not go up against MNF or any other NFL game

I think the issue is that Directv is literally NFL Sunday Ticket. They only have rights to games on Sundays. All games not on sundays are national TV games. I believe I read, but didn't check it, that the 2010 game was a national game and not a regional game, so it was shown nationally on Tuesday.

It does seem to me, however, that it would be just plain stupid to not tweak the agreement and show the game on Directv. It won't be screwing anyone over. It can't cost much money. It will make much more than it will cost. Fans will be happy. The league doesn't need any more bad publicity. This seems like a no brainer.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a Tuesday night and did not go up against MNF or any other NFL game

Incorrect, it was a Monday night game. Went up against Ravens/Texans game on ESPN.

http://minnesota.cbs...s-home-markets/

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=301213016

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=301213034

Both played on the 13th of December, which was a Monday.

There is precedent for this happening and I'd say there is a pretty good chance this gets shown on DirecTV. Funny that the Vikings/Giants game took place in Detroit as well.

I think the issue is that Directv is literally NFL Sunday Ticket. They only have rights to games on Sundays. All games not on sundays are national TV games. I believe I read, but didn't check it, that the 2010 game was a national game and not a regional game, so it was shown nationally on Tuesday.

It does seem to me, however, that it would be just plain stupid to not tweak the agreement and show the game on Directv. It won't be screwing anyone over. It can't cost much money. It will make much more than it will cost. Fans will be happy. The league doesn't need any more bad publicity. This seems like a no brainer.

The game was played on a Monday, went up against a Monday Night Football game and was still shown on Directv.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It seems like there is some confusion about which games were moved in 2010. There were actually 2. So lets break it down:

On 12th of December 2010, the Metrodome's roof collapsed. Game was scheduled for Sunday afternoon on Fox. It was moved to Monday night in Detroit against the Monday Night Football game Ravens/Texans. Fox/ESPN came to an agreement whereby ESPN could show updates of the game while the game was going on.

http://minnesota.cbs...s-home-markets/

Then Philadelphia had a huge snowstorm Sunday 26th of December. The Vikings were scheduled to play the Eagles Sunday night. They moved the game to Tuesday night. Now, these games are 2 different scenarios. I imagine on this short of notice, they weren't able to get the stadium in Philly cleared out by Monday night so Tuesday was probably the only option.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/27/sports/football/27eagles.html?_r=0

It's the beer talking. Watching the UNC and having a good time.

How 'bout those Heels! Kicked some Dookie a$$. I enjoyed sitting in their HS football stadium watching it live.

Back on topic -- can't imagine Sunday Ticket subscribers won't get this game. It would be criminal.

Edit: just went to this page on nfl.com -- in the "Game Access" box to the right it seems to suggest the game will be on the NFL RedZone channel. Certainly not official, but gives us some hope.

Edited by eball

i wonder how many bills fans will make itto the game?

The tix will probably be free so I'm thinking a whole lot of Bills fans will make the drive. People are sick of being couped up and wanna do something fun. Plenty of out of state Bills fans would have no problem getting there.

The tix will probably be free so I'm thinking a whole lot of Bills fans will make the drive. People are sick of being couped up and wanna do something fun. Plenty of out of state Bills fans would have no problem getting there.

With last week out of work and the holidays next week I doubt most will be looking to take vacation days. But maybe some.

Because Sunday Ticket only shows Sunday games.

Indeed. But the word "Sunday" is in the name doesn't necessarily negate the possibility of the NFL making a deal. You may be too young to remember, but Monday Night Football was used as the title for games broadcast by ABC on other nights of the week at one point. Monday Night Football: Saturday Edition, for example. I think it is a mistake to assume it won't be carried simply because of a word in the name of the channel. If it isn't carried on DTV it will be because of contract issues, not the word "Sunday" in Sunday Ticket.

As has been mentioned, the RedZone channel is listed as carrying the game (as it is listed for carrying every NFL game). But with no other game to follow for close to 90 minutes, and only one other game to follow after that, I suppose the NFL might think they will show a great portion of the game on RedZone without making any significant changes to any deals in place. I think that is a bad, short-sighted, decision. But I think it is one they could justify internally.