First Post - Reviewing Pass Interference Calls

Billsfan1972

Reading the site and usually just interested in what people say and didn't feel an urge to get involved until now.....

Just reviewed the first 10 games and wanted to confirm what I remember and not come off as a homer. Pass Interference, Illegal Use of Hands & Holding were points of focus this year and penalties are way up, unless you are a Buffalo receiver. Bills have been penalized 19 times over 10 weeks for those infractions, whereas Buffalo receivers have drawn ONLY 4!!!!! How is that possible? Are Buffalo receivers so bad that opposing teams don't need to hold, illegally hit or interfere with them?

we had a thread a month or so ago about this.

IMO Defensive PI calls should be reviewable due to the amount of weight they have. They can potentially be 40-50 yard penalties. A lot of it is timing, and its bang-bang, sometimes tough for an official to nail in real-time, while replay shows a different story.

all plays should be reviewable . if the coach has three strikes, he should be able to contest any call.

Due to concerns of slowing the games way down, I would be shocked if that ever happened. However, it might be reasonable to suggest that any penalty yielding a net yardage change in excess of 15 yards be reviewable.

That would cut back on the number of game changing erroneous calls that we have to deal with.

The stats are glaring in their disparity. In 10 games only 4 penalties!!!!! How is that possible? These are things that are reviewed and discussed with officials every week. We see more and more Offensive PI too as this has been a point of emphasis. Illegal contact after 5 yards, holding or PI is being called more and more and with Orton throwing it more, just by accident it should be called. Oh and lets not forget intentional grounding calls.

No they are not going back and reversing calls, but the coaches and bills officials need to work the refs prior and discuss it.

The Bills really don't throw to their receivers; when they do, they design the routes so that the ball either goes to the receiver or out of bounds (i.e., the deep fade). The Bills might start drawing more flags if they started actually trying to get the ball to their WRs downfield, in space.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Reading the site and usually just interested in what people say and didn't feel an urge to get involved until now.....

Just reviewed the first 10 games and wanted to confirm what I remember and not come off as a homer. Pass Interference, Illegal Use of Hands & Holding were points of focus this year and penalties are way up, unless you are a Buffalo receiver. Bills have been penalized 19 times over 10 weeks for those infractions, whereas Buffalo receivers have drawn ONLY 4!!!!! How is that possible? Are Buffalo receivers so bad that opposing teams don't need to hold, illegally hit or interfere with them?

Welcome, and it is a very telling stat. When things get that out of whack there's something that needs to be addressed: (1) officiating? (2) how our DBs are coached/play (they're obviously not very adept at hiding the little nudges that take place on virtually every play). Probably some mix of both.

I also maintain it is a sub concious bias with officials. They are not thinking "let's screw the Bills" it is simply easy to call those things on teams who are traditionally bad. Nobody interested in NFL football could possibly fail to know that the Bills have been an irrelevance for 15 years and so when an official is unsure the sub concious calculation your brain makes without you even knowing is "the cornerback probably held because he is bad because his team is bad". The opposite happens when a team are good "That looked dubious but Revis is a stud so it was probably just good coverage." It doesn't stop officials calling obvious ones, they are just mistakes when they fail to.... but the best teams get more of those 50/50 decisions there is little doubt about it. And unless you replace humans with robots it will not change.

Edited by GunnerBill

we had a thread a month or so ago about this.

IMO Defensive PI calls should be reviewable due to the amount of weight they have. They can potentially be 40-50 yard penalties. A lot of it is timing, and its bang-bang, sometimes tough for an official to nail in real-time, while replay shows a different story.

Much has changed in this regard from a month ago. The OP's point is eye-opening and some fine assessments/reasoning has been offered -sub conscious sucky Bills, too few passes over the middle to WR's. Did you do a study of offensive PI called on our receivers?

I don't believe it's been a noticeable stat..

Welcome to the Board! Did you get a chance to see a game in the Rockpile the year you became a fan?

Our receivers are young and unheralded. Unless it's a major incident the corner back will get the benefit of the doubt.

I expect us to get called a lot. Our corners played best physically.

Maybe. But if the Woods int in Houston and the Sammy flag picked up in Detroit don't qualify as major incidents, what does? Does Jack Tatum have to come out of retirement and molest someone?

Due to concerns of slowing the games way down, I would be shocked if that ever happened. However, it might be reasonable to suggest that any penalty yielding a net yardage change in excess of 15 yards be reviewable.

That would cut back on the number of game changing erroneous calls that we have to deal with.

Good idea

The point is very simple that 4 PI's (or similar) is jaw-dropping when viewed vs. the league. Heck 19 PI's (or 1.95/gm) probably is not terrible on the defensive side. I can't fathom that few penalties or disparity. While passes may go to the sideline, there are still routes over the middle and contact could be called. Heck with Watkins at least he hould have drawn a few. Too lazy to check NE or Denver calls.

I found this:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Pass Interference, Defensive Holding, Illegal Use of Hands & Illegal Contact have resulted in 460 penalties divided amongst 32 teams is 14.375, meaning Buffalo has 10 less then the league average!!!!

1972 is when I first became a bills fan (or earliest memories as father was not a sports fan). Attending games was only the early 80's......

I also maintain it is a sub concious bias with officials. They are not thinking "let's screw the Bills" it is simply easy to call those things on teams who are traditionally bad. Nobody interested in NFL football could possibly fail to know that the Bills have been an irrelevance for 15 years and so when an official is unsure the sub concious calculation your brain makes without you even knowing is "the cornerback probably held because he is bad because his team is bad". The opposite happens when a team are good "That looked dubious but Revis is a stud so it was probably just good coverage." It doesn't stop officials calling obvious ones, they are just mistakes when they fail to.... but the best teams get more of those 50/50 decisions there is little doubt about it. And unless you replace humans with robots it will not change.

congratulations, you have won the award for post with the most neuroscience/pscyhologic assumptions with absolutely no basis in neuroscentific or psychologic science.

And despite this, I somehow agree with you... I just hate myself for it.

This is good stuff.

I wonder if this could be the result of EJ (and even Orton to some extent) not giving our receivers more deep ball opportunities.

Since this is my last post here

Had to delete the rest of your post, but let me speak for the rest of us when we say we can only hope that the beginning of your post holds true.

Anyone that gets that upset over a message board either has way too much time on his hands, needs to see a therapist or needs to gain an ounce of perspective.

hope someone hijacked ur account and ur not this much of a hot mess, but if not..

Good riddance.