you're favorite female vocalist.

Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, how could I have forgotten Aimee Mann & Zooey Deschanel???

Quick Aimee Mann story for you. My buddy is a HUGE fan. He went to see her at The Egg in Albany, NY (very small, intimate venue). She asks the crowd if they have any requests. My buddy yelled out (tongue in cheek joke) "Freebird!!" She had a chuckle, then called him up onto the stage. She said they didn't know Freebird, but they could get through Sweet Home Alabama ... and HE was going to stay on the stage and sing background vocals; which he did. Pretty cool/unforgettable experience for him.

Quick Aimee Mann story for you. My buddy is a HUGE fan. He went to see her at The Egg in Albany, NY (very small, intimate venue). She asks the crowd if they have any requests. My buddy yelled out (tongue in cheek joke) "Freebird!!" She had a chuckle, then called him up onto the stage. She said they didn't know Freebird, but they could get through Sweet Home Alabama ... and HE was going to stay on the stage and sing background vocals; which he did. Pretty cool/unforgettable experience for him.

I get that he was joking and this is an awesome story - but if I'm at a show and anyone yells free bird at any time I will immediately go punch them in the balls

i saw her a couple months ago with Ted Leo (The Both), she is a Richmond girl and I was gonna yell out something like Bon Air(the part of town she grew up in) but I didn't want to be 'one of those' people to yell out at a show, and i was only about 4 feet from her...but i agree with PaattMann....a swift punch in the nether regions is punishment for a 'free bird'...hell, foggy mountain breakdown is a better alternative

i saw her a couple months ago with Ted Leo (The Both), she is a Richmond girl and I was gonna yell out something like Bon Air(the part of town she grew up in) but I didn't want to be 'one of those' people to yell out at a show, and i was only about 4 feet from her...but i agree with PaattMann....a swift punch in the nether regions is punishment for a 'free bird'...hell, foggy mountain breakdown is a better alternative

Oh, I agree. But for anyone who's ever played in a bar band, it's just an ongoing joke. And my buddy said it as such. It worked out well for him; that's for sure! (side story: this guy is morbidly obese - like over 500 lbs. Many years ago, he was at a stand-up show and the "comedian" spent a good 20 minutes+ telling not-so-funny fat jokes at my buddy's expense. The Aimee Mann experience was a good way to help wipe that bad memory away)

I get that he was joking and this is an awesome story - but if I'm at a show and anyone yells free bird at any time I will immediately go punch them in the balls

I had a buddy who brought an honest-to-god spear on stage at a gig he played at and threatened to chuck it at anyone who requested Free Bird.

I like Shirley Manson too from Garbage. Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a favorite.

Was in love with Dolores O’Riordan from the Cranberries and her voice.

Kim Deal from the Pixies, and I like Bjork a lot.

Solo artist favorite is Kate Bush.

Edited by Security