Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

I agree with all of this. Personally I think that Cowher would be a disaster. It would be Shanahan bad. He's smart enough to see that it is a different game and stay in the studio.

Harbaugh would be a good choice. He's crazy but can coach. I'd be cool with him if he gets his personality under control.

Who would come here to scheme the dreadful offense for a radio color commentator that has never coached? They couldn't even talk Nate Hackett into staying under that scenario.

With all the talent on the offense Kirby, I could see people chomping at the bits trying to work with them. And who knows what Chan may be thinking right now. Marv found people to come coach for a guy who was in the CFL

Edited by the skycap

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harbaugh would be a good choice. He's crazy but can coach. I'd be cool with him if he gets his personality under control.

He needs ro talk the niners into ripping up his 2015 contract. The Bills have very little to offer the niners to trade for him.

Unless they mortgage the future yet again.

For some reason Harbaugh doesn't seem like the Bills or Buffalo would intrigue him in the least. No Viable QB for starters.

Who would come ?

I suspect a few years ago, the Bills couldn't attract a top tier HC because of some combination of (a) long term ownership concerns; (b) money (I know several of you would say otherwise, but, bottom line, we've yet to "overpay" for an HC and (c ) roster talent

As a franchise we've addressed all 3 except roster talent when it comes to QB.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

He needs ro talk the niners into ripping up his 2015 contract. The Bills have very little to offer the niners to trade for him.

For some reason Harbaugh doesn't seem like the Bills or Buffalo would intrigue him in the least. No Viable QB for starters.

You're right that the Niners have to let him go first, which despite the reports I'm not sure I buy. So this is purely hypothetical on my end as I'm not convinced Harbaugh's a real option.

But if he does hit the market I do think Buffalo would appeal to him on a lot of levels. First, Pegula will pay -- this can't be overstated. For the first time since in decades, this team will no longer be looked at as cheap when it comes to coaching hires. Perhaps more importantly from Harbaugh's perspective, going to Buffalo might be too good to pass up. It's a chance to build a winner in a town that's never known one -- that appeals to competitors. They also have a ton of defensive talent as well as pieces on offense to make the turn around happen fast.

Stanford wasn't really a "Harbaugh" kind of spot, but he made it his own (thanks in large part to Luck of course).

With all the talent on the offense Kirby, I could see people chomping at the bits trying to work with them. And who knows what Chan may be thinking right now. Marv found people to come coach for a guy who was in the CFL

The game has just changed so much from those days. The game prep and analytics has made it even more important to have good coaching than ever. You need to be able to scheme. Coaching is 80% scheming and 20% motivating at this point. In Marv's day it might have been 80/20 the other way. That's why I think that Cowher or Dungy would be bad decisions. It's not about leading guys; it's about putting them in advantageous situations.

FWIW, Chan would be a great OC IMO (and may take that job). I would certainly sign up for that.

You might be right. I think that he is destined for the Michigan job. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not that we'd need one or that they make much of an impact initially, but I seriously doubt any "name" coach (whatever that is), would be attracted by our QB situation. We may need to settle for an up and comer and if we do, I hope he really is innovative and can at least make chicken salad out of the chicken schit we have on offense at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm sure Pegula knows that he is going to have to make our next HC the highest paid in the league if he wants a reputable/high profile one

That means paying him more than $8.5M per season

CBF

I don't necessarily agree. The Bills are appealing. They have a boatload of defensive talent and a dynamic young skill player that they don't know how to use. People will want this job.

Forget about the coaches' profile. Worry about his philosophy and if it working at this very moment. Lovie Smith went to a Super Bowl but the Tampa 2 is DEAD and his team is getting shredded.

This would be tough for him to turn down.

I think that he is heading there unless SF wins the SB (even then he may go). Anything short of that and he will be back in Ann Arbor in his dream job. It will be something to have Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh in their dream jobs at OSU and Michigan!! It will be like Woody and Bo all over again.

I don't necessarily agree. The Bills are appealing. They have a boatload of defensive talent and a dynamic young skill player that they don't know how to use. People will want this job.

Forget about the coaches' profile. Worry about his philosophy and if it working at this very moment. Lovie Smith went to a Super Bowl but the Tampa 2 is DEAD and his team is getting shredded.

Yup. I think people forget how unattractive this job has been the past two times it's been available. Not only did this roster have half the talent the past few times, it also had the uncertainty of what was going to happen to the franchise after Ralph hanging around its neck like an albatross. No talent, an owner unwilling to pay for top coaching, plus an uncertain ownership future led to this job being pretty unpopular (or at least as unpopular as a head coaching gig in the NFL can be).

That's all changed with Terry and Kim... and Doug Whaley. Not just because they're able to pay top dollar, but also because Whaley has stocked the pond so to speak. It's not a complete job yet but there are enough pieces here to lure top candidates.

Pat Shurmur...I created a post on this before the false 5-3 euphoria. Working under Chip Kelly...has head coach experience. Seems a number of great coaches fail in Cleveland before they realize their true potential.

He is the right choice. The Chip Kelly offense is quarterback agnostic...

The game has just changed so much from those days. The game prep and analytics has made it even more important to have good coaching than ever. You need to be able to scheme. Coaching is 80% scheming and 30% motivating at this point. In Marv's day it might have been 80/20 the other way. That's why I think that Cowher or Dungy would be bad decisions. It's not about leading guys; it's about putting them in advantageous situations.

FWIW, Chan would be a great OC IMO (and may take that job). I would certainly sign up for that.

You might be right. I think that he is destined for the Michigan job.

That's why I'm banging the drum for Kelso. I think he can do a good to great job if given the opportunity. In pregame scenarios, he shows how he would attack defenses and slow offenses.

That's why I'm banging the drum for Kelso. I think he can do a good to great job if given the opportunity. In pregame scenarios, he shows how he would attack defenses and slow offenses.

I like Kelso (a lot) and think that he would make a great coach -just not a head coach. I can't think of anyone that's 1st coaching job (outside of high school) was an NFL head coach? It happens a lot in the NBA but you are managing 12 guys and a few assistants. In the NFL you have 80-100 guys and another dozen or so coaches. It is a huge transition. I could see him on the defensive staff but not as the head guy (maybe someday but not now IMO).

Someone else pointed out that not having our #1 pick in the upcoming draft could be a hindrance in recruiting a top tier coach/GM or football person to the team. This made we wonder, do you think the Watkins trade was (at least partially) done to intentional sabotage the team's chances of getting a new coach/GM in 2015 and thus extending the careers of Marrone and Whalley for another year?

Edited by Maddog69

Someone else pointed out that not having our #1 pick in the upcoming draft could be a hindrance in recruiting a top tier coach/GM or football person to the team. The got me thinking, do you think the Watkins trade was done to intentional sabotage the team's chances of getting a new coach/GM in 2015 and thus extending the careers of Marrone and Whalley for another year?

No, it was done because he was the highest graded player on their board in 2 years.

Michigan is going to back up the Brinks Truck to land Harbaugh...Not saying he's going to go back to College...But I'm certain he will consider it...

There have been scattered posts about this all over today. This should be an opportunity to state the person that you want on the sidelines in 2015. If you vote for other please specify the person that you want in the comments. Pease try to be realistic (ie Bill Belicheck isn't an option)

My vote is absolutely going to Gus Malzahn. I think that he is a better Chip Kelly. His teams play an attacking style of offense (similar to the way that Pettine plays D). I want a team that plays aggressive and with pace. He does the exact opposite of what we do now; he wins with scheme.

I voted for Harbaugh, but for the same reason you chose Malzahn: an aggressive style of play. I'd be fine w/ Malzahn also. But the culture around the Bills needs to change from this passive, scared, garbage we have been seeing. Perhaps Harbaugh/Malzahan as OC. One can dream.

I like Kelso (a lot) and think that he would make a great coach -just not a head coach. I can't think of anyone that's 1st coaching job (outside of high school) was an NFL head coach? It happens a lot in the NBA but you are managing 12 guys and a few assistants. In the NFL you have 80-100 guys and another dozen or so coaches. It is a huge transition. I could see him on the defensive staff but not as the head guy (maybe someday but not now IMO).

Kelso as secondary coach? I like that.

Pat Shurmur...I created a post on this before the false 5-3 euphoria. Working under Chip Kelly...has head coach experience. Seems a number of great coaches fail in Cleveland before they realize their true potential.

He is the right choice. The Chip Kelly offense is quarterback agnostic...

Right on. I was talking with an Eagles fan about this. It's like whoever their QB is doesn't matter, the system is so good. Peyton Manning could come to Buffalo and look like crap running Hackett system.

Someone else pointed out that not having our #1 pick in the upcoming draft could be a hindrance in recruiting a top tier coach/GM or football person to the team. This made we wonder, do you think the Watkins trade was (at least partially) done to intentional sabotage the team's chances of getting a new coach/GM in 2015 and thus extending the careers of Marrone and Whalley for another year?

Not having a #1 pick does not hinder a coach coming here, at least in my mind. It would be one thing if we were Tennessee with no direction, tons of holes -- if we were them and also didn't have a #1 then yes, I'd agree. But this team has players, has cap room, it certainly has holes, but they aren't enough to deter high profile coaches.