for the love of God can Marrone grow a set and go for it on 4th down?

Pete

Name a player on offense who has actually improved and developed under Marrone.

I think I started this question week 3 and so far the closest to an answer has been KO but he's come back to earth (as anyone reasonable would expect- he's not some top 5 qb).

I'll say hogan. But I'm not sue how far he's come and if his production is a sign of progress, or symptom of sainthood (ie getting targets over guys that may be better options as a marrone favorite)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if it didn't work? Then Bills fans here would be saying "why the F did Marrone go for it on 4th and 6? What an incompetent coach."

That's a loser mentality. The coach shouldn't worry about that reaction, although clearly Marrone does judging from this great NY Times piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/upshot/bills-coach-stumbles-on-fourth-down-decisions-and-questions.html?abt=0002&abg=1 .

Agree with this 100%. There is a much larger problem going on vs conservatism. It seems no matter what we do, we fail especially in must win games and later in the season. A couple of different decisions in the last two games doesn't change their overall performance. Orton has regressed, Watkins has regressed, Woods has regressed. The offense as a whole has regressed. Don't know what to blame other than coaching.

I don't Watkins has regressed. I think he's hurt.

Yep - responding with tired cliches to a serious question.

I mean, it boiled down to him admitting he doesn't know or trust the numbers and that he's scared to stand out with a call to try and win.

Plus, the cliches were awful and essentially absolved himself of needing to contribute to the teams success and it was the players fault for not stopping them and scoring twice with that "I don't want to take the game away from the players" nonsense

That's a loser mentality. The coach shouldn't worry about that reaction, although clearly Marrone does judging from this great NY Times piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/upshot/bills-coach-stumbles-on-fourth-down-decisions-and-questions.html?abt=0002&abg=1 .

Thanks for the link. Excellent article. I have known for a long time, just from watching the games, that Marrone is in over his head. But living outside of WNY, I don't see many interviews or pressers with Marrone. Until reading this article I did not know how colossally unqualified this man is to be a head coach in the NFL, or college, for that matter. Anyone and everyone who green-lighted his hiring needs to be shown the door along with him.

Buffalo at 11:35 BUF MIA C.Sturgis kicks 68 yards from MIA 35 to BUF -3. B.Brown pushed ob at BUF 29 for 32 yards (C.Sturgis). MIA-J.Freeny was injured during the play. He is Out. 9 19 1st and 10 at BUF 29 (11:29) K.Orton pass short left to B.Brown to BUF 33 for 4 yards (R.Jones). 2nd and 6 at BUF 33 (11:11) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass short left to B.Brown pushed ob at BUF 49 for 16 yards (J.Jenkins). 1st and 10 at BUF 49 (10:35) (Shotgun) A.Dixon left tackle to MIA 47 for 4 yards (D.Shelby). 2nd and 6 at MIA 47 (10:06) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete deep left to S.Watkins. 3rd and 6 at MIA 47 (9:55) (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short left to R.Woods. 4th and 6 at MIA 47 (9:55) C.Schmidt punts 27 yards to MIA 20, Center-G.Sanborn, fair catch by J.Landry.

IWTF? I am sick of this kitty play. And this **** has been happening all year. Christ already, get some balls Marrone and go for it on 4th and give your team a chance to win

4th and 6 at MIA 47 (9:55) C.Schmidt punts 27 yards to MIA 20, Center-G.Sanborn, fair catch by J.Landry.

Down 19-9 with less then 10 minutes left, Marrone punts from Miami's 47 we kitty out and instead kick a 27 yard punt :doh::wallbash::censored::thumbdown::bag::angry:

I'm on record here, going back a bit now, that Marrone does not have what it takes...

I think if you want to break things down to the least common denominator look no father than the fact that this team is poor-to-very-poor in Marrone's area of expertise...I think that's indictment enough on the guy...He wants to be a run first Offense and we cant run consistently dating back to last year...Let alone all the other factors evident in his on and off-the-field coaching and management...Marrone is not whatsoever what he portrayed when he took the job...He's not a forward thinking HC at the cutting edge of coaching trends...He's an old-school jock who is not a dummy granted, but he's also no where the Offensive innovator necessary to take this team to the next level...Especially considering the fact that this team does not have a top 5 QB...

NO question I feel we should move on from Marrone and Hackett ASAP...The QB problem aside, this team has more collective talent than it has had in many, many years...And IMHO they are underachieving on Offense big time with a HC that is supposed to be an Offensive guy... B-)

I mean, it boiled down to him admitting he doesn't know or trust the numbers and that he's scared to stand out with a call to try and win.

Plus, the cliches were awful and essentially absolved himself of needing to contribute to the teams success and it was the players fault for not stopping them and scoring twice with that "I don't want to take the game away from the players" nonsense

i almost feel bad for him. almost. it's so odd that the dude who ran the no-huddle with a rookie qb last year isn't interested in actually listening to the data behind going for it on fourth down. you would think that someone with that mentality would be willing to adapt based on new information. i'm guessing that all those years of listening to old-school, cigar chomping, manly-men football coaches who never went for it on fourth down really left an impression on him. it's gotta be difficult to understand that something you've always believed and been taught is wrong.

i wouldn't be completely stunned to see him go for it on fourth in the coming weeks. if the urbik situation is any indicator, marrone is a slow learner who will eventually do the right thing when things get dire. i'm guessing the k.c. and miami debacles might have him reconsidering everything. hopefully the shock of going from being a playoff contender to completely out of it in the matter of four days has knocked some sense into him.

Edited by Dirtbag

Is no one upset about punting 4th and 6 from Miami's 47 with 9 minutes left down 19-9? I would fire saint Doug for punting in that situation on that reason alone. Punting is a quitters mentality- we need a winner coach. This play epitomizes the bills teams of the last 15 years. I am disgusted at that decision

I'm wit ha.

Wow that's a pretty damning article on Morrone.

His fatal flaw was hiring his little buddy as OC and QB coach.

He should have hired a real NFL OC and let his little buddy be QB coach and learn how to be an NFL OC.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Another reason to call his intelligence into question is that he's deciding to still move forward with Kyle Orton. The ONLY way Marrone retains his position as head coach of the Buffalo Bills would be to start Manuel and for him to be playing great the rest of the way. By starting Orton he's basically throwing the white flag on his Bills career. Not that going with Manuel is any sort of realistic chance, but it is actually his one and only chance.

The Bills need to bring in a real NFL head coach who will tell his players to play fearless. I think if a creative and competent coach (we don't have one) had told Manuel this at the start of the season, there's a chance he'd have solidified the starting QB position weeks ago. Instead we get our OC telling Manuel the WORST thing to do is force the ball downfield. The worst thing to do is to become predictable and conservative and to NOT force the issue and for week after week letting defenses choke your offensive play calling down so much that it resembles a predictable high school offensive game plan.

One silver lining in this doom and gloom is that Marrone is officially punching his own ticket out of here and there's a chance we can land a real head coach who will help win games and not be the reason they lose games.

And if it didn't work? Then Bills fans here would be saying "why the F did Marrone go for it on 4th and 6? What an incompetent coach."

if it didn't work Miami would of gotten the ball at their 47 instead of their 20. WTF is the difference? Capitulate Doug might as well try

if it didn't work Miami would of gotten the ball at their 47 instead of their 20. WTF is the difference? Capitulate Doug might as well try

Or the 3 yard line if they went for it on 4th and goal at 3.

You play to wiiiin the game!

I understand being scared to go for it because the offense WAS stinking, but did he really think that the defense was going to force a 3 and out or something based on the way Miami had been moving the ball up and down the field all night?

Name a player on offense who has actually improved and developed under Marrone. The ONLY one who possibly falls into that category is Seantral, and I'm not sure Marrone can take credit for him. But let's give him Seantral - that's one dude. Every other player on offense has remained stagnant or has actually regressed.

I agree with this 100%. This is my #1 criteria of who is a good coach: getting the best out of his players. I would say that Henderson has struggled as the season has gone on, not improved.

I'm on record here, going back a bit now, that Marrone does not have what it takes...

I think if you want to break things down to the least common denominator look no father than the fact that this team is poor-to-very-poor in Marrone's area of expertise...I think that's indictment enough on the guy...He wants to be a run first Offense and we cant run consistently dating back to last year...Let alone all the other factors evident in his on and off-the-field coaching and management...Marrone is not whatsoever what he portrayed when he took the job...He's not a forward thinking HC at the cutting edge of coaching trends...He's an old-school jock who is not a dummy granted, but he's also no where the Offensive innovator necessary to take this team to the next level...Especially considering the fact that this team does not have a top 5 QB...

NO question I feel we should move on from Marrone and Hackett ASAP...The QB problem aside, this team has more collective talent than it has had in many, many years...And IMHO they are underachieving on Offense big time with a HC that is supposed to be an Offensive guy... B-)

Absolutely!!