Football Consultant Coming Soon?

HailMary

The need to move quickly to get this consultant in place. As the college season starts coming to an end I would want to make sure I have a proper scouting team in place to be looking for a QB, evaluating other talent and making sure we get the first pick at any big name coach that might be available.

I am afraid the consultant won't be in place till after the season and time will be lost evaluating the staff at the time other teams are making moves to get better. I am hoping they understand the sense of urgency given the age of the defense to ensure we don't wate another season of ineptness

The fact that we have heard nothing on the situation kinda falls in line with how they run things. We heard a lot of nothing with the Sabres for a very long time. Then we heard about Regier, Rolston, Murray, Nolan, Lafontaine and a whole lot of noise in about a 48 hour period. What I'm getting at is when the trigger is pulled, big stuff will happen. Sure, the Sabres are horrible (they happened to lose poorly at the same time as the Bills last night), but there's a major plan in place and by next year, things will be different. Expect the same for the Bills. When the trigger is pulled, WE ALL will know about it.

I fully expect the entire front office (including Brandon) to be fired, a new team president/consultant to be hired immediately, and a plan put into place right away. If its anything like the Lafontaine deal, this new mystery person will have been hired 2 weeks ago and the entire plan will have been put in motion before the old regime is canned. I fully expect Brandon, Whaley, Marrone, and the rest of the coaching staff to be canned and immediately replaced. It's not a matter of if, its a matter of when. If I were to guess, Black Monday 2014 will be an important date in Buffalo Bills history.

Of course, this plan is based on what happened with the Sabres. The only major differences are that the Bills team roster is not a complete lost cause like the 2012-2013 Sabres roster was, and the wildcard of Lafontaine going AWOL and getting canned won't happen with the Bills. Yes, this season is a dud like the previous 14, but this time will be different because there's a vast difference between Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula.

I realize Pegula's heart is in the right place and he is a great guy who saved the Bills from leaving Buffalo, but if you look at the performance of the Sabres under his ownership, do you want the Bills to be where the Sabres are 3 years from now? His record at delivering a competitive and exciting professional sports team is as bad as Hackett's at delivering a innovative and winning offense. Past performance is usually a pretty good indicator of future performance.

They're not going to make a public declaration on this subject. They'll quietly go about their evaluation in the background that needs an experienced and respected outside voice to examine the football operations. It's time for change, because this team is going nowhere with Doug Marrone at the helm.

Corp, i just cannot see them letting Russ go. He is just too good on the business side, and only going from interviews etc, seems the Pegs like him as well.

Russ is fine on the business side. He cannot have any say in the Football Ops moving forward.

The fact that we have heard nothing on the situation kinda falls in line with how they run things. We heard a lot of nothing with the Sabres for a very long time. Then we heard about Regier, Rolston, Murray, Nolan, Lafontaine and a whole lot of noise in about a 48 hour period. What I'm getting at is when the trigger is pulled, big stuff will happen. Sure, the Sabres are horrible (they happened to lose poorly at the same time as the Bills last night), but there's a major plan in place and by next year, things will be different. Expect the same for the Bills. When the trigger is pulled, WE ALL will know about it.

I fully expect the entire front office (including Brandon) to be fired, a new team president/consultant to be hired immediately, and a plan put into place right away. If its anything like the Lafontaine deal, this new mystery person will have been hired 2 weeks ago and the entire plan will have been put in motion before the old regime is canned. I fully expect Brandon, Whaley, Marrone, and the rest of the coaching staff to be canned and immediately replaced. It's not a matter of if, its a matter of when. If I were to guess, Black Monday 2014 will be an important date in Buffalo Bills history.

Of course, this plan is based on what happened with the Sabres. The only major differences are that the Bills team roster is not a complete lost cause like the 2012-2013 Sabres roster was, and the wildcard of Lafontaine going AWOL and getting canned won't happen with the Bills. Yes, this season is a dud like the previous 14, but this time will be different because there's a vast difference between Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula.

i am hoping the quiet we are hearing is all part of the plan. Maybe black Monday is coming soon. I think jettison of Russ could be a very good thing to wipe hands clean of everything that existed before they bought the team. Who needs a marketing team if you hire a coach and GM with a plan and vision and can execute on turning this around FAST!.

I agree we have players in place from my view free agent upgrades at OG, drafting a QB and signing key free agents on the team can turn this around fast.

I realize Pegula's heart is in the right place and he is a great guy who saved the Bills from leaving Buffalo, but if you look at the performance of the Sabres under his ownership, do you want the Bills to be where the Sabres are 3 years from now? His record at delivering a competitive and exciting professional sports team is as bad as Hackett's at delivering a innovative and winning offense. Past performance is usually a pretty good indicator of future performance.

two different sports,

No guarantee the tank will work, but bless him for being willing to do it.

Dont think you need to tank in football, talent is so close , better coaching can mean the difference between 6-10 and playoffs

So they have a talented roster, but yet you want to fire the GM and replace him with whom?? That sounds real smart!! What makes you think you'll find someone better, the likelyhood is low just based on how many lousy teams there are in football. Coaching staff I'd agree with firing, but Brandon and Whaley I hope stay. RB isn't involved with football decisions anymore and even when he was involved with football decisions, I don't beliive he really was, likely he was more rubber stamping things that the football people wanted. That in itself may have been a problem, but don't blame him for that, blame RW fand Marvor putting him in that position.

If Whaley does get fired, he'll be hired by some other team real fast and likely RB will be working in the NFL office.

I fully expect Brandon, Whaley, Marrone, and the rest of the coaching staff to be canned and immediately replaced. The only major differences are that the Bills team roster is not a complete lost cause like the 2012-2013 Sabres roster was, and the wildcard of Lafontaine going AWOL and getting canned won't happen with the Bills.

brandon should be looking for a job selling inferior widgets door to door right now. there's no need for a consultant's help on the demolition work. everyone that ever worked for the previous owner should go. do everything possible to remove the yoke of that loser legacy.

then bring in the consultant to rebuild from the foundation up.

So they have a talented roster, but yet you want to fire the GM and replace him with whom?? That sounds real smart!! What makes you think you'll find someone better, the likelyhood is low just based on how many lousy teams there are in football. Coaching staff I'd agree with firing, but Brandon and Whaley I hope stay. RB isn't involved with football decisions anymore and even when he was involved with football decisions, I don't beliive he really was, likely he was more rubber stamping things that the football people wanted. That in itself may have been a problem, but don't blame him for that, blame RW fand Marvor putting him in that position.

If Whaley does get fired, he'll be hired by some other team real fast and likely RB will be working in the NFL office.

if you are right, good for both of them. being coveted after a stint with one of the worst performing professional sports franchises in history and doing little to improve it is hardly a ringing endorsement or resume highlight. ask yourself if you had worked for a loser organization and effected no significant improvement, how marketable would your resume be? Edited by birdog1960

Whaley made a huge, huge mistake in trading for Sammy. As good as Sammy is, he gave up a first and fourth rounder, and put him on a dysfunctional team. Whaley may have an eye for talent, but his managerial judgement is lousy. Every experienced commentator stated that the Bills were too far away from contending when the deal was made. Now we are left with no first round pick, no franchise QB, and an offensive coaching staff that has no clue.

Brandon is in the middle of all of this, and he should be banished. He went after a Syracuse guy as coach, yet "obviously"(pun intended) the guy (coach) is not only inept, but has no gonads.

There is one and only one solution to this mess. Bring in an accomplished football mind that has demonstrated football building skills. Polian, Accorsi, Ron Wolf, Casserly etc etc. Then get a real well rounded coach, someone who has demonstrated success and who has the brains to be innovative and cutting edge; if necessary, pay a king's ransom for Tony Dungy, or Bill Cowher.

Results. They have been mediocre for their GOOD seasons during this stretch. At this point, hire some experienced people, but the key is to replace and start over. Replace all, wash away yesterday and start over. Change for the sake of change only works if you change EVERYTHING. Time to completely close the book on the Wilson tenure and start fresh with the Pegulas. I do agree that Whaley has done a commendable job. But if you're staring over, start over all the way, not 3/4 of the way.

Edited by Corp000085

Whatever changes they make, I bet they keep Whaley. I have hope for this guy as our GM, because the roster is loaded with talent. Just need the right coach and right QB -- and I haven't given up on Manuel yet.

It's just so damned disappointing to have another season over by mid-November. What a waste of that defensive and skill position talent.

Whatever changes they make, I bet they keep Whaley. I have hope for this guy as our GM, because the roster is loaded with talent. Just need the right coach and right QB -- and I haven't given up on Manuel yet.

It's just so damned disappointing to have another season over by mid-November. What a waste of that defensive and skill position talent.

that graphic of the top rookie receivers production last night should convince pegula or any consultant of whaley's relative worth. that trade was a huge mistake realized now by just about everyone but whaley and apologist bills fans. they days for apologists are long gone as should whaley be.

that graphic of the top rookie receivers production last night should convince pegula or any consultant of whaley's relative worth. that trade was a huge mistake realized now by just about everyone but whaley and apologist bills fans. they days for apologists are long gone as should whaley be.

I don't think it's as cut and dried as that. I'm also not an "apologist" -- I simply think Whaley has brought in a lot of talent to this roster and deserves the continuing opportunity. Coaching is the much bigger issue, in my opinion.

whaley's also ultimately responsible for the choice of coaching staff, the qb situation, and the oline. i don't see how thiese can be defended. it was a continuation of the bills historic, failed attempts to produce a winner with subpar coaches and qb's. he did nothing to change that.

whaley's also ultimately responsible for the choice of coaching staff, the qb situation, and the oline. i don't see how thiese can be defended. it was a continuation of the bills historic, failed attempts to produce a winner with subpar coaches and qb's. he did nothing to change that.

To be fair, the coaching search conducted by Russ, Nix, and Whaley was by all accounts not the "same old, same old" and it's possible they simply "missed" on Marrone. The jury is still out on EJ, and it does seem as though Marrone has been given much deference with respect to the OL. Whaley probably wouldn't make that mistake again.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the defensive coaching staff. If Marrone is removed, then Whaley has the opportunity to find the next coach and fix the offense.

Sorry but that is a load of crap. Sammy has shown a skill set that far exceeds any of those other guys. He has been playing on a pooooooooorly designed offense with two bad QBs, while hurt for the last two games and he has still produced. Furthermore, it is half of his rookie season, not his career. This is not fantasy football, it is real football. He ha speed, hand, quickness, power and smarts. There are no guarantees with anyone including both Sammy and whoever we would have picked in this years first round, but Sammy is far better than any of those other receivers.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Whaley is tied to Marrone, but especially that stupid draft of Watkins. He gambled big in hopes that Watkins would get them to the playoffs and it backfired. They will miss the playoffs and have no first round pick.

I like Whaley for a lot of reasons, but he too deserves to be fired.

That is not Pegula's fault....u ask for a owner to spend money and try to bring in the best

He did that

The people he brought in screwed it up

Whaley is tied to Marrone, but especially that stupid draft of Watkins. He gambled big in hopes that Watkins would get them to the playoffs and it backfired. They will miss the playoffs and have no first round pick.

I like Whaley for a lot of reasons, but he too deserves to be fired.

Just let me know what QB we would be in line for with our records if we had the 1st round pick.......

While I dislike some of Whaleys doings.

I also figure it was under the watchful eye of Russ Brandon who wanted Marrone, and to keep Buddy Nix on retainer as a consultant. Whaley was a rookie last year, and he will get better with someone with more football sense then Nix & Brandon hovering over him.

Then I also hope the new owners crap can the analytic dept that is probably responsible for the OG situation.

Pegulas mistake with the Sabres was waiting too long to removing Regier. The Sabres are right where they should be now. The mistake Pegula made was believing that Regier was capable of turning the team around without the blowup. Once Pegula realized there was no other way, he moved swiftly to remove Regier and bring in others. I just hope he doesn't make this same mistake with the Bills. Bring in a football person to either run the football side or act as a consultant to make the changes needed and then move forward. Even though watching the Sabres is painful at times the future is very bright and there was no other option. With the Bills I don't think it requires a blowup just some tweaks and a QB.