Nice coaching, awesome job

After each loss (and in a few of the wins), there seems to be a different excuse for the play of this team...the QB, the offensive coordinator, the head coach, the offensive line, penalties, turnovers...etc, etc, etc...

All I know is this: They played a completely winnable game, at home, after a bye week, with the opportunity today to take a big step forward as a playoff contender and as a team - and gave us a performance (and results) we have seen time and time again.

They are 5-4 and, Intellectually, I know they still have an opportunity to have a successful season. Yet, games like today make me wonder if the losing culture of this team is truly changing. I know it is a product of the disappointment I feel right now...but still....

Have to agree with you there.

I kept wondering how they were going to mess this game up. And when it started happening, it was just like deja-vu all over again. The worst part is the Leodis fumble was so reminiscent of the one against New England when we also had a chance to win.

I guess the good thing about this is that it isn't nearly as devastating to me anymore...it's just sad and expected. So my temper and blood pressure might thank me later? :unsure:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone help me out here. For those who don't think coaching is a problem, I will concede that, YES, the PLAYERS were the ones who made the mistakes (fumbles, etc.) on the field. I agree, Marrone and the other coaches didn't fumble the football today.

But aren't coaches accountable for the discipline ... exhibited over overtime ... of their team in the biggest moments? Isn't it typically the better/best teams that seem to make fewer mistakes than the opposition when it matters most? (And they also typically generate more big plays, too). Again, over time.

Then, by definition, aren't we experiencing Groundhog Day? Isn't this a rerun of Jauron, Mularkey, and their ilk? I know talent matters, but doesn't history tell us we're going to blink before the other team (and we're flabbergasted when we don't)?

Point is: we're no farther ahead under this head coach than the prior knuckleheads who have run the team for 15 years. And maybe it hurts worse because he's squandering a very very good defense.

How the !@#$ you come up with these unrealistic scenarios? For you he is a loser, I stopped seeing things black and white when I was 7.

Unrealistic scenarios? I am basically asking you to give me one trait that gives you the opinion that he is even passable as an NFL head coach. You can't so you call the scenario unrealistic. You can't even come up with an IMAGINARY scenario in which he is a winner. Because he is not.

I am not calling him a loser as a human being or even a football coach. He is a loser, a complete one at that, as an NFL football coach and no team will ever win anything with him as HC. Quality control coach or some other position on the staff? Sure, why not.

That was with an owner who was more concerned with making a profit over winning, and used to micro manage his team / coaches. Plus the job insecurity of playing for a 90+ year old owner. Its why no top NFL head coach wanted to come to Buffalo.

New ownership changes everything!! the best part is when Terry Pegula was asked if he bought the team to make a profit. His response was if I need to make money, I'll drill another well. I want to win above all else!

No need to worry about coaching changes, as sometimes they are needed, and necessary. Marrone may or may not improve over the next 5 years. I for one am tired of his staff needing to learn as they go.

LOL And who was his first Head coach hired at the Sabres, The highly sought after Ted Nolan. That's the best they could get????

The fumbles and early dropped passes are what ultimatley cost us the game. I agree, Marrone and crew needs to improve also. I think they will. They are still 5 and 4. For what its worth, i thought the offensive line did a hell of a job in pass protection as the game went on. This is a young team, with a young coaching staff and GM. I like the direction this team is going. GO Bills!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL And who was his first Head coach hired at the Sabres, The highly sought after Ted Nolan. That's the best they could get????

The fumbles and early dropped passes are what ultimatley cost us the game. I agree, Marrone and crew needs to improve also. I think they will. They are still 5 and 4. For what its worth, i thought the offensive line did a hell of a job in pass protection as the game went on. This is a young team, with a young coaching staff and GM. I like the direction this team is going. GO Bills!!!!!!!!!!!

I admire your optimism. I for one have none left. I could see this loss coming in the second quarter.

Not true, KC could afford to be more conservative (and were) precisely because the Bills needed a TD to win. Had they only needed a FG, every scenario of the OC/DC play card changes because giving the Bills the ball back with 27 seconds left (which they did) gives them too many chances to get into FG range.

It makes a big difference in mentality and strategy.

Sorry, I don't think it changes a thing. There are lots of calls you could second-guess today, but that's not one of them.

Unrealistic scenarios? I am basically asking you to give me one trait that gives you the opinion that he is even passable as an NFL head coach. You can't so you call the scenario unrealistic. You can't even come up with an IMAGINARY scenario in which he is a winner. Because he is not.

I am not calling him a loser as a human being or even a football coach. He is a loser, a complete one at that, as an NFL football coach and no team will ever win anything with him as HC. Quality control coach or some other position on the staff? Sure, why not.

Buddy, I can come up with 32 scenarios and you would still think Marrone is a loser, so I won't waste my time. Anything I say will be dismissed by you.

On the second to last drive why the hell were they trying to jam it in the end zone? They could have picked up one more first down. The dumbest play was going for it on 4th and 10. Kick a FG, make it a 1 point game and put the D back on the field. That decision is mind boggling.

Brown doesn't fumble in end zone , game over.....what did the coaches do wrong? Players made some big mistakes

Second post in the thread - truth. He holds that ball, we (probably) win. Obviously we missed opportunities (play calling, drops, throws, protection, etc.), but everyone does. But that fumble, eventually, out of the EZ was a killer...

Coaching can only do so much when you don't have above average QB play. Unfortunately, that's the way the NFL works. 1st round mistakes at QB usually take a couple years to overcome. I'd keep Marrone around, and get rid of Whaley.

Except when below average QB ing should get you the win... Like having first and ten at the opposing 25 yard line down by 4 with 4 minutes left. Most backup QBs should get that win. Playing for the EZ there when you need a fresh set of downs to keep the clock moving and maintain possession while scoring the TD as well.impossible to ignore that you needed to get a first down and the Chiefs would be protecting the end zone so the underneath stuff would be available. Horrendous play calling there. You should win that even if EJ had to go in

Buddy, I can come up with 32 scenarios and you would still think Marrone is a loser, so I won't waste my time. Anything I say will be dismissed by you.

You're 32 short then. He is not a good coach. If you are related to him I am sorry. This is not personal.

He just stinks and that screams itself from the television every Sunday. I'm sure he is a very nice person or whatever but that didn't stop people from flogging Jauron who has forgotten 100 time more about football than this guy ever knew. With Mike Williams, Jauron would have taken a much better personal approach and Williams might potentially be producing, maybe even with about 2:12 left today. Instead we get Brad Lamb down there getting rag dolled.

Second post in the thread - truth. He holds that ball, we (probably) win. Obviously we missed opportunities (play calling, drops, throws, protection, etc.), but everyone does. But that fumble, eventually, out of the EZ was a killer...

I would say it was a bigger blunder by Chandler than by Brown. Sure the fumble is huge. But he wasn't careless with the ball. The defender made a perfect tomahawk to jar it away. Yes, he needs to protect it better. But all Chandler has to do is fall on the ball or catch it on a simple play he should make 99 out of 100 times.

But he did fumble and you still had a great chance to win so that scenario becomes more critical than the fumble that led too it.

I would say it was a bigger blunder by Chandler than by Brown. Sure the fumble is huge. But he wasn't careless with the ball. The defender made a perfect tomahawk to jar it away. Yes, he needs to protect it better. But all Chandler has to do is fall on the ball or catch it on a simple play he should make 99 out of 100 times.

I fault Brown for the lack of ball security and Chandler for not making the easy recovery for the TD.

You're 32 short then. He is not a good coach. If you are related to him I am sorry. This is not personal.

He just stinks and that screams itself from the television every Sunday. I'm sure he is a very nice person or whatever but that didn't stop people from flogging Jauron who has forgotten 100 time more about football than this guy ever knew. With Mike Williams, Jauron would have taken a much better personal approach and Williams might potentially be producing, maybe even with about 2:12 left today. Instead we get Brad Lamb down there getting rag dolled.

"He just stinks and that screams from the television every Sunday" Did you come up with that one? A couple more and you may convince me. :D

Who knows what happens with Mike Williams? I won't venture to guess what goes on in the locker room. You say that Marrone is out coached every Sunday and he's a loser, I feel quite differently about him. I see the team playing with toughness and conservative or not the team is in every game it plays with a chance to win at the end. All of this with average to below average QB play.

Newer members, this thread provides a very nice screening if you will on which posters might just be out of their minds or overly emotional, and which ones understand the game of football. Makes a worthless thread quite meaningful :).

Oh and fumbles lost the game...