TNF: Browns at Bengals - 8:25 PM EST on NFL Network

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are starting a 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd and an UDFA. The Bills are starting a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 7th (w/1st round talent) and an UDFA. Both teams have a former 1st round picks out and the Bills have a 2nd round bust on their bench. We have been around this enough times but it isn't that the Bills don't put a premium on OL, they just don't know how to identify OL talent. They drafted Cyrus, made Dockery the highest paid OG in league history, etc...

I respectfully disagree in that the Browns have a first rounder in Joe Thomas at LT who was the #3 overall. A 2nd rounder in Bitonio at LG. Their starting center #1 pick in Alex Mack is on IR, and their backup is FA pickup in McDonald. Greco at RG is a 3rd rounder. Schwartz at RT is a second rounder. #1,#2,#1,#2, #3 are their normal starters, and it shows.

The Browns clearly have put a higher priority on the O line in drafting early, and often. It really didn't help them much tho until they found a competent HC, QB, OC. OTOH the Bills still have two waiver wire scrubs at both OG positions, and have been starters the last 3 years, a 7th rounder at RT.

I do agree with you that Bills have had, and still have a real problem in identifying OL talent. even this year with the 7th rounder at RT outplaying the 2nd rounder. It looks like Buddy Nix didn't gut that scout staff as much as he should have.

Note how the browns are running so well-- out of a lot of 3-WR sets.

Its called talent, and the Bills only have 2 out of 5

You could argue we have a

2- Glenn

1- Williams

1- wood

3- urbik

2- kujo

If you wanted to go with what was a legit possible line in May

Right. The "talent" should be there; it just hasn't developed. And then when you try to do it all at once and draft 3 offensive linemen in one draft, you have no other depth and have no choice but to play slow-developing rookies.

I respectfully disagree in that the Browns have a first rounder in Joe Thomas at LT who was the #3 overall. A 2nd rounder in Bitonio at LG. Their starting center #1 pick in Alex Mack is on IR, and their backup is FA pickup in McDonald. Greco at RG is a 3rd rounder. Schwartz at RT is a second rounder. #1,#2,#1,#2, #3 are their normal starters, and it shows.

The Browns clearly have put a higher priority on the O line in drafting early, and often. It really didn't help them much tho until they found a competent HC, QB, OC. OTOH the Bills still have two waiver wire scrubs at both OG positions, and have been starters the last 3 years, a 7th rounder at RT.

I do agree with you that Bills have had, and still have a real problem in identifying OL talent. even this year with the 7th rounder at RT outplaying the 2nd rounder. It looks like Buddy Nix didn't gut that scout staff as much as he should have.

Its called talent, and the Bills only have 2 out of 5

If you are counting the 1st rounder that the Browns have on IR then you have to count Chris Williams (also a 1st). Urbik was a 3rd round pick. The Bills OL would be #2, #1, #1, #3, Seantrel. I am not really counting Seantrel as a 7th rounder if we are talking talent. Both teams have franchise LTs, both teams drafted an OL in the 2nd this year, both teams have 1st round centers, each team starts a 3rd round OG. They haven't gone about it all that differently. The Bills have just failed to get the right guys. They drafted CK while Cleveland took Bitonio (who I loved). Cleveland has Mack and the Bills have Wood (IMO the most overrated player on the team). The Bills chose Chris Williams in free agency over better options (the guys from KC).

We agree that the Bills don't have great talent on the line. Where we disagree (completely) is whether or not they have neglected it. They have spent in FA (Dockery, Walker, resigning Wood, Chris Williams) and have drafted OL (3 of them this year). They really just don't know how to identify OL talent or to coach them. It is one or the other. There is no excuse for Cyrus to not dress for a game all year. He may be the worst 2nd round pick of all time. Again, they tried and just failed.

You could argue we have a

2- Glenn

1- Williams scrub

1- wood

3- urbik scrub

2- kujo who knows

If you wanted to go with what was a legit possible line in May

Hey, man you can make believe in anything you want. :lol: The Bills currently have two legit decent starting players, and possibly three if Henderson keeps developing the way he has. Lets face it that the Bills are desperate for two decent OG's.

The fact is the Browns have much superior O line in many ways, player talent, coaching, and effort to build a top line. They have a rookie OG who graded at +8.3 in run blocking last game.

The fact is the Browns have much superior O line in many ways, player talent, coaching, and effort to build a top line.

This is kind of the debate. The Bills put forth as much (or more effort) in building their line. They both used a 2nd and the Bills used 2 more picks and signed a FA. Each team extended their 1st round centers and have franchise LTs. The Browns OL is absolutely superior and there is no debating that. It has nothing to do with effort though. It has to do with scouting and player development. If the Bills had Bitonio and Cleveland CK, the Bills may have a better OL now. It wasn't as if Cleveland put more resources behind it, they just took the right guy while the Bills took the exact opposite of that. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Really impressed with how well the Browns played on both sides of the ball. Hoyer carried out nice play action fakes and made good decisions, the blocking for the running game was good and the Browns defense just stifled the Bengals. Really impressive road game.

Hey, man you can make believe in anything you want. :lol: The Bills currently have two legit decent starting players, and possibly three if Henderson keeps developing the way he has. Lets face it that the Bills are desperate for two decent OG's.

The fact is the Browns have much superior O line in many ways, player talent, coaching, and effort to build a top line. They have a rookie OG who graded at +8.3 in run blocking last game.

Just because they suck doesn't mean we ignored the position. Quit moving the goal posts. We've tried to draft O-linemen. Find a new drum to beat.

Boy, I can't wait for the offseason. I can see it now. "The Bills need to take a high round prospect. They should take (insert the 5 best o-line prospects, 3 of which will bust, 1 who will be average at best, and one who will be good)."

Then you'll get to pat yourself on the back about being so high on the one guy who plays well all year, while complaining that we ignore the position, even if our first pick is an OG. I feel like Nostradamus.

Edited by FireChan

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... No one, I repeat, NO ONE, holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when he is "holding it like a loaf of bread."

That is how I hold a loaf of bread. You don't want to grip it too tight or you will squish it. I'm talking bakery style bread, not Wonder Bread that you hold by the end of the bag...

If you are counting the 1st rounder that the Browns have on IR then you have to count Chris Williams (also a 1st). Urbik was a 3rd round pick. The Bills OL would be #2, #1, #1, #3, Seantrel. I am not really counting Seantrel as a 7th rounder if we are talking talent. Both teams have franchise LTs, both teams drafted an OL in the 2nd this year, both teams have 1st round centers, each team starts a 3rd round OG. They haven't gone about it all that differently. The Bills have just failed to get the right guys. They drafted CK while Cleveland took Bitonio (who I loved). Cleveland has Mack and the Bills have Wood (IMO the most overrated player on the team). The Bills chose Chris Williams in free agency over better options (the guys from KC).

We agree that the Bills don't have great talent on the line. Where we disagree (completely) is whether or not they have neglected it. They have spent in FA (Dockery, Walker, resigning Wood, Chris Williams) and have drafted OL (3 of them this year). They really just don't know how to identify OL talent or to coach them. It is one or the other. There is no excuse for Cyrus to not dress for a game all year. He may be the worst 2nd round pick of all time. Again, they tried and just failed.

While I agree with you that they have tried to address the line to some degree. It was Jauron that took Wood with a #1 in 09, and that was with the 2nd #1 pick. Since then it was Nix with Glenn with a #2 in a 3 year period. Now in his second year Whaley tried to address the OT with a #2 that failed, and the OG positions continue to be bad-aided.

I just feel the Bills simply haven't put enough effort into finding quality talent for that line over the last three regimes (5 years). Then look at the backup situation along the entire line, its a joke! The Browns fill in the center position with a URFA, and that player out performs any player on the Bills line this year.

But yea, the Bills still have serious issues with O line talent evaluation! I gotta wonder is its the analytic department that is trying to moneyball the OG position.