TNF: Browns at Bengals - 8:25 PM EST on NFL Network

I agree the Bills have swung and missed more times on the line over the last four years then any other area of the team. In 2014 the Bills were targeting a player for RT, and did so 2x. Then didn't go for a OG until round 5.

The lack of ability to evaluate talent like this at a professional level boggles my mind considering you have so many people to assess talent. Pro scouts, GM, a HC, an OC, an O line coach all looking at players and still can't get it right. Guys like Cornell Green, Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Chris Williams, Cujo, and Erik Pears at RG are epic fails. whomever the scout is for the O line needs to be given his walking papers.

This is my reasoning for wanting an experienced NFL HC like Bill Cowher who won a power struggle with his GM in Pittsburgh, as he knows player talent as well as any GM, scout. I highly doubt Cowher lets any of the bums mentioned ever step on the field in a Bills Uni, much less start.

Kirby, you seem to have some insight into the inner workings of the team. Perhaps you could inquire as to what the issue is with the scouting of O line players. Is it the analytic department getting in the way of good judgement?

I 100% agree. It has been really strange that pretty much every guy that they have gone after (especially in FA) has been bad. John Guy played a big part in that. There were lots of good 2nd round OL this year and Kuoandjio is the guy that we left with. It's definitely frustrating. That's kind of why I want them to go after a vet that can start. It's harder to screw that up.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Dalton = Peyton in Indy

This is the kind of post that should send you into hiding. Regardless of what you ever say on here again there will be a faction of people that just won't take you seriously.

That is pretty much what happened to Buffalo Barbarian after suggesting that the Bills trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. He is a pretty good poster with good insight and often an interesting perspective. Anytime he brings up anything 5 people reference that thread.

All the good that you have done on here has been undone in 22 letters and an "=" sign.

Manning in Indy could not win many playoff games.

How many playoff games has Andy won?

Manning in Indy won a Super Bowl and went to another but that's not even the point. Manning in Indy was like Favre in Green Bay, Brees in New Orleans, or Marino in Miami. Those guys have set and shattered virtually every passing record known to man. Dalton is a bum, maybe not one of the top 20-25 QBs in the league. You compared one of the best ever to a bonafide scrub.

It is the same hyperbole that got Buffalo Barbarian into trouble. If you would have said that Dalton in Cincy was Schaub in Houston you would have gotten a free pass.

I 100% agree. It has been really strange that pretty much every guy that they have gone after (especially in FA) has been bad. John Guy played a big part in that. There were lots of good 2nd round OL this year and Kuoandjio is the guy that we left with. It's definitely frustrating. That's kind of why I want them to go after a vet that can start. It's harder to screw that up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423227/article/how-joel-bitonio-helps-to-symbolize-the-browns-rise

Now think of what that young man could be doing for the Bills this year :cry: Its playoffs for sure.

I think that Bills scouting dept still needs some serious revamping. I sure hope that the Pegula's hire that senior NFL adviser, and he takes a long hard look at this issue

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423227/article/how-joel-bitonio-helps-to-symbolize-the-browns-rise

Now think of what that young man could be doing for the Bills this year :cry: Its playoffs for sure.

I think that Bills scouting dept still needs some serious revamping. I sure hope that the Pegula's hire that senior NFL adviser, and he takes a long hard look at this issue

You do realize that Bitonio was off the board long before the Bills wasted their 2d round pick, right?

The other thing is that the scheme doesn't help either. When you have a weakness like the Bills do in run blocking I can't figure out why you'd bring in more big bodies that aren't any good like Lee Smith & Summers. When you do that teams counter with LBs that further the talent gap between the run blockers and run stoppers. I don't know why they wouldn't spread things out and try to create space? They should have less TE/FB on the field and subsequently more DBs trying to defend the run game. That goes back to the Hackett thread though.

John Guy was with the Bills as the pro scout when the Bills signed OG Derek Dockery and RT Langston Walker. They gave these two very average players all-star salaries. During that period of time the Bills played hardball with Jason Peters, our best lineman, when he wanted an upgrade in salary. The contract negotiations became so contentious that the Bills eventually traded Peters to the Eagles who immediately signed him to a sizeable contract that our organizational steadfastly refused to give him. He is the Eagles best lineman and has played at an all-star level.

To make things even more ridiculous when Peters left he was replaced on the left side by Langston Walker, a behemoth lineman who had slow feet. Walker was never suited to play on the left side. He even publicly stated that he was not equipped for the left side because it required attributes of athleticism and quickness, certainly traits that he didn't possess.

When he predictably failed as a LT he was replaced. Littman and the finance boys had a policy that they don't pay starter money to backups. So he was sent packing.

When all was said and done not only did the Bills not improve their miserable OL they made it even worse. The same type of scenario played out for Hangartner. He signed a good contract with the Bills but after some time he was replaced as a starter at center. He was a versatile player who could also play both guard positions. A valuable commodity. Again, the finance wolfs enforced their rule that they don't pay non-starters starter money. So he ended being released leaving the team with little in reserve when one of the interior lineman got hurt. As it turned out that is exactly what happened. The finance boys enforced their money rules despite the fact that the team was still very much under the cap.

The bottom line was that although the team was bad for a generation financial discipline was maintained. Mission accomplished!

Manning in Indy won a Super Bowl and went to another but that's not even the point. Manning in Indy was like Favre in Green Bay, Brees in New Orleans, or Marino in Miami. Those guys have set and shattered virtually every passing record known to man. Dalton is a bum, maybe not one of the top 20-25 QBs in the league. You compared one of the best ever to a bonafide scrub.

It is the same hyperbole that got Buffalo Barbarian into trouble. If you would have said that Dalton in Cincy was Schaub in Houston you would have gotten a free pass.

The BIG kick was that Manning LOST more Playoff games to Brady than he won SB's with Indy.

That is one of the main reasons people pick Brady over Manning as the better QB.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The BIG kick was that Manning LOST more Playoff games to Brady than he won SB's with Indy.

What's your point? Peyton has played in 3 Super Bowls and a bunch of championship games. He may have never played to his level in the playoffs but that has nothing to do with Dalton. If Manning were to play to his talent he would have won like 5 Super Bowls. You can't hold that standard to Dalton. I am still trying to figure out how Andy Dalton is similar in any way to Peyton in Indy? Matt Schaub is probably a better comparison. Edited by Kirby Jackson

if if if

never mind. If you can't correlate Manning's losing playoff games to that of Dalton's losing playoff games so be it.

sheesh

Does it strike you as odd that no matter what you say on this board, most people tend to disagree? I'd think it would at least stimulate some self-reflection...

if if if

never mind. If you can't correlate Manning's losing playoff games to that of Dalton's losing playoff games so be it.

sheesh

What about Manning's playoff wins? His Super Bowl win? How do those things "=" Dalton's playoff wins and Super Bowl win?

We are just here to put the brakes on hyperbole. It was a ridiculous statement to say that Dalton = Manning in Indy.

I get it. I'm an idiot

I should have been more precise indicating manning losing playoff games to Brady

Manning has beaten Brady in the playoffs before. Dalton has never won a playoff game. You should have just avoided comparing Peyton Manning to Andy Dalton all together. They are not equal; they are not even similar. It is like saying that Chris Hogan = Jordy Nelson.

I get it. I'm an idiot

I should have been more precise indicating manning losing playoff games to Brady

naturally you meant only the 3 games where as a colt manning played brady and only beat him to go to the superbowl in 1 of them, when comparing him to andy dalton being 0-3 on wildcard weekend averaging 11 ppg

maybe if you edit it down to only manning during the 2003 and 2004 seasons while playing tom brady in the playoffs

Edited by NoSaint

This is the kind of post that should send you into hiding. Regardless of what you ever say on here again there will be a faction of people that just won't take you seriously.

That is pretty much what happened to Buffalo Barbarian after suggesting that the Bills trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. He is a pretty good poster with good insight and often an interesting perspective. Anytime he brings up anything 5 people reference that thread.

All the good that you have done on here has been undone in 22 letters and an "=" sign.

Laughed out loud at this.

Does it strike you as odd that no matter what you say on this board, most people tend to disagree? I'd think it would at least stimulate some self-reflection...

And this.

You know what? This entire page made me laugh.