Clowney may be who we thought he was

YoloinOhio

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how NFL teams basically gave him a pass for playing not to get injured his whole senior year. I understand why he would want to do that, but it's basically saying you're above the team.

I think that NFL teams (and everyone else) understand that the NCAA system is broken, and that players need to take care of themselves.

I don't understand how NFL teams basically gave him a pass for playing not to get injured his whole senior year. I understand why he would want to do that, but it's basically saying you're above the team.

yeah, people gave him a pass for getting like 3.5 sacks all year because he was double and triple teamed. Dude should have had 2-3 per game anyway, IMO. He was a man among boys in college.

And in that situation, there's no reason to fault a guy for putting himself #1.

Anyone who puts the W/L record of a college football team above the financial security of his family is an idiot and a fool.

maybe ... Rapaport is usually pretty credible

@AroundTheNFL: Texans becoming 'frustrated' with Jadeveon Clowney, per @RapSheet http://t.co/saeFKW0Srt

True. I just don't buy it.

This seems like a story to generate headlines. Clowney hasn't been the dude espn told us he would be, so uhhhh Texans frustrated

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Then why not enter the draft after his junior season?

He did. He couldnt after his breakout year due to nfl rules requiring him to be 3 years out of school. That's why a lot of people were asking if he should just sit out of last season instead of risking his career for nothing.

True. I just don't buy it.

This seems like a story to generate headlines. Clowney hasn't been the dude espn told us he would be, so uhhhh Texans frustrated

Yea it's kind of that perfect blend of vague and inflammatory that makes you wonder about motivations

Edited by NoSaint

When did a national championship become nothing? I'm sure he was insured, so his "family" would be taken care of.

I hate what he did. I saw him give up on a play in overtime that decided the game (SC ended up winning it, but though no effort of his)

Clowney has some of the most freakish athleticism & size of any player ever to enter the NFL. He has used it to dominate his competition since HS & made it look easy in the process. I fear that his pure dominance due to his physical traits has left him with an inflated sense confidence- he's always dominated in his mind and he always will.

There were questions about his work ethic and ability to play through injury at SC. Those reports raise red flags for me. The NFL is full of top level athletes that Clowney can't just coast through & physically dominate. He is going to have to really start to bust his hump & play through injury if he wants to be successful.

On the other side of the coin, there is Sammy Watkins. He has the work ethic & drive to be a standout in this league. Everything he said in pre-draft interviews and once he was drafted tells me that he has the necessary mental fortitude to be a success. The Bills had him as their #1 rated prospect for a reason. I think they would have taken Watkins over Clowney if they had to make that choice. Watkins has already proven he will play through injury after broken ribs in the preseason & first part of the regular season. Watkins is one of the most well spoken kids I've seen... I see nothing but success in his future

When did a national championship become nothing? I'm sure he was insured, so his "family" would be taken care of.

I hate what he did. I saw him give up on a play in overtime that decided the game (SC ended up winning it, but though no effort of his)

as a die hard fan of a CFB team, I agree. We had a similar situation at OSU, on a much smaller scale. Bradley Roby was expected to be a 1st rd pick prior to 2013. He didn't have a good year, made off field mistakes, and then due to a "thigh bruise" (gtfo) does not even play in the Orange Bowl because he was afraid of Watkins and of not being 100 percent. He was their best chance with Watkins and it was a huge game for OSU. They played backup CBs and lost by 5. I don't think he would have shut him down but to lose by less than a TD when one of watkins TDs was on a true freshman starting his first game is a little sickening. He went at the end of the 1st rd. I wish he had just left his junior year. He played the whole year like all he cared about was himself. Had he actually played to his potential, he would have been drafted even higher. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think that any organization that leaks stuff like this about a rookie is bush league and suffers from very weak leadership at every level. If I was the owner, I would publicly refute this and tear up my boneheaded HC and GM.

Having said that, the Bills got the only player in the top 5 of this past draft. Look at the rest of that crew....

Look up the NCAA insurance plans for these guys, then come back here and explain how that money would come remotely close to his guaranteed money in the NFL.