Clowney may be who we thought he was

YoloinOhio

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year you might be on the opposite side from the guy lining up next to you. Loyalty in sports is an illusion.

especially these days -- coaches recycle every 2-3 years for a large portion of the league, even winning teams turn over 80% of their rosters every few years too.....

you go out there and play hard and safe (both good for your team and self), and i cant fault a guy for tapping out if he feels an injury is going to risk something by playing on it, maximizing his pay day at the expense of the 53, or whatever other stuff athletes get shamed for by looking out for themselves. its frustrating as a fan that wants to see your team win, but man... its hard to shame a guy for it when you see what some of the last generation are going through.

Edited by NoSaint

I was thinking college rather than pros.

Even then. If you get hurt that guy's not going to pay your bills. And if you get drafted to different teams you're not going to put him first.

I understand sticking up for your friends, but the whole business of putting the team before your own well being doesn't have a very solid basis.

Even then. If you get hurt that guy's not going to pay your bills. And if you get drafted to different teams you're not going to put him first.

I understand sticking up for your friends, but the whole business of putting the team before your own well being doesn't have a very solid basis.

I jumped in late to this conversation and probably missed a step -- so forgive me if I'm missing the topic. But I do think there is true loyalty amongst players at the lower levels of play, college or high school etc. There are exceptions of course, but most of those teams live together, eat together, study together, bleed and sweat together -- how many guys talk fondly of their college teams well after they've moved on to the pros? That happens, I believe at least, because they are playing for each other as much as themselves. This is true because the overwhelming majority of players on those teams know they'll never go pro and are instead playing because they either love the game or their team.

Guys like Clowney, who've known since they were 12 that they would get a chance to play in the NFL someday probably have a different approach, that's completely fair. But that kind of athlete is the outlier on a team of 100 guys.

I jumped in late to this conversation and probably missed a step -- so forgive me if I'm missing the topic. But I do think there is true loyalty amongst players at the lower levels of play, college or high school etc. There are exceptions of course, but most of those teams live together, eat together, study together, bleed and sweat together -- how many guys talk fondly of their college teams well after they've moved on to the pros? That happens, I believe at least, because they are playing for each other as much as themselves. This is true because the overwhelming majority of players on those teams know they'll never go pro and are instead playing because they either love the game or their team.

Guys like Clowney, who've known since they were 12 that they would get a chance to play in the NFL someday probably have a different approach, that's completely fair. But that kind of athlete is the outlier on a team of 100 guys.

I have no argument with this.

Edited by Rob's House

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes

@AdamSchefter: Texans LB Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be sidelined nine months, per sources.

@McClain_on_NFL: Clowney's microfracture surgery on his right knee is a 9-month rehab process, which means he might not be ready for start of season.

Yikes

@AdamSchefter: Texans LB Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be sidelined nine months, per sources.

@McClain_on_NFL: Clowney's microfracture surgery on his right knee is a 9-month rehab process, which means he might not be ready for start of season.

Damn, thats unfortunate. Feel bad for the guy. Also as a fan wanted to see him play. Incredible athlete

Edited by JTSP

@McClain_on_NFL

GM Rick Smith said they knew microfracture surgery was possibility from the start but wanted to see if his knee would respond after surgery

The Texans sent Clowney to Dr. James Andrews to see if he agreed with their opinion. When he did, Dr. Lowe performed the surgery.

Clowney's surgery was performed on Dec. 7. Nine months is Sept. 7, but that's a long time in between.

#Texans' Clowney has microfracture surgery; could be out nine months, miss start of season, via @McClain_on_NFL. http://blog.chron.co...on/#23208101=0

With Bill O'Brien at the head of the line.

I haven't followed his relationship with the players but that's a big black mark on his coaching credibility, assuming there's not more to the story here. Especially if the team knew it was possibly major.

I wouldn't want to go to battle for a guy that didn't have my back when needed

Clowney has the talent but the questions on his dedication and cruising in games has haunted him since college. Rookie year is a wash. Next year will be interesting if he stays healthy and Watt coming off a monster season. They can make things rough for opposing QBs.