'Cuse Hoops 2014-15 - New York's College Team!!!

The Poojer

i think that is still a bit harsh, Gross shouldn't be let go for such 'minor' infractions. why punish them for 2016, 9 years after the fact....that is ridiculous.

Agreed with everything you posted. I'd actually be shocked if Gross got canned...he is a good athletic director, but it's just what I heard. FWIW, when he said it to me it didn't sound like he knew for sure, but he said something like "it doesn't sound like Gross will be around much longer."

They loss of scholarships is about what I expected. Sucks.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I heard back from Otto the Orange. Actually nothing too incredibly groundbreaking, but some good info.

*disclamer* It any of this information proves to be inaccurate, I blame Poojer.

Basically affirmed what I posted a while back. The NCAA is not pleased with the self-imposed ban. While it is believed that there will be no additional years of post-season ban, it is generally felt that there will be a loss of scholarships in 2016 (not the incoming class).

Syracuse's 2015 class is unreal...probably top 5 in the country. If they land 5 star big fella, Thomas Bryant, they will be top 3. I'm sure I will have more recruiting stuff after I go out drinking with him on Wednesday (college reunion of sorts).

The most interesting information was regarding AD Daryl Gross. Don't be shocked if he is the university's sacrificial lamb here.

Good stuff-- thanks.

Glad to hear about no additional post-season ban.

I love how the NCAA strips scholarships when there are no recruiting violations. What a joke.

Agreed with everything you posted. I'd actually be shocked if Gross got canned...he is a good athletic director, but it's just what I heard. FWIW, when he said it to me it didn't sound like he knew for sure, but he said something like "it doesn't sound like Gross will be around much longer."

They loss of scholarships is about what I expected. Sucks.

Why is Gross good? Always thought he was a clown.

i think as a whole he has raised the bar of the athletic department...basketball still top notch, womens basketball is ranked, soccer was #1 in the country, womens softball, field hockey have all been nationally ranked, lacrosse. it's been a long time since SU had more than the core 3 sports receive this much national acclaim....granted football needs work, but as a whole, he has done some good things, the least of which is the whole NY's College Team thing, that was a ballsy move.

Why is Gross good? Always thought he was a clown.

JB, find a way next year, scholarship loses will hurt, but not as bad as people think,

Phenomenal 2015 class. Boeheim has been quoted as saying that this is one of his best ever. Richardson is going to be a star, and if they manage to land Bryant...look out.

I'm also hearing that they have a good shot to land Tyus "kid mamba" Battle for 2016. He is currently ranked 8th in his class IIRC. Despite the down year, the future is looking very bright.

we will see the real value of kaleb joseph, buss, bj johnson, chino et al next year....they won't have to shoulder the burden they are bearing this year....dear lord, with chris mc, dajuan, the incoming class, its setting up to be really special

Phenomenal 2015 class. Boeheim has been quoted as saying that this is one of his best ever. Richardson is going to be a star, and if they manage to land Bryant...look out.

I'm also hearing that they have a good shot to land Tyus "kid mamba" Battle for 2016. He is currently ranked 8th in his class IIRC. Despite the down year, the future is looking very bright.

we will see the real value of kaleb joseph, buss, bj johnson, chino et al next year....they won't have to shoulder the burden they are bearing this year....dear lord, with chris mc, dajuan, the incoming class, its setting up to be really special

I have got to think a guy like BJ transfers. He will never play beyond this year.

Watch Joseph's turnovers. They're not high risk passes or otherwise mistakes that can reasonably be chalked up to "Freshman". He has an astounding lack of fundamental awareness of where to dribble, cut, and how to protect the ball that should be 2nd nature for a D1 PG of any age. And he stinks on defense to boot. So not optimistic there. I do think McCullough can be a beast for us though.

Edited by BuffOrange

just keep in mind, joseph was not recruited to play this year, he was recruited to learn from Ennis. He seemingly has the skill set and potential Boehiem looks for in a player in his system. I think he will be just fine. Not sure BJ will go anywhere, why leave when the prospects of '15 are so promising, McCullogh leaves after next year, Johnson slides in with 2 years under his belt and becomes a very solid contributor.

Watch Joseph's turnovers. They're not high risk passes or otherwise mistakes that can reasonably be chalked up to "Freshman". He has an astounding lack of fundamental awareness of where to dribble, cut, and how to protect the ball that should be 2nd nature for a D1 PG of any age. And he stinks on defense to boot. So not optimistic there. I do think McCullough can be a beast for us though.

just keep in mind, joseph was not recruited to play this year, he was recruited to learn from Ennis. He seemingly has the skill set and potential Boehiem looks for in a player in his system. I think he will be just fine. Not sure BJ will go anywhere, why leave when the prospects of '15 are so promising, McCullogh leaves after next year, Johnson slides in with 2 years under his belt and becomes a very solid contributor.

Won't Johnson be a senior by then? I think playing time is way more important to most of these kids rather than being on a team with other good players. They are trying to set themselves up for a professional career, whether it be in the NBA, the D-League or Europe. Sitting behind a bunch of freshman who are better than him might not sound too appealing.

If everything goes right, they'll need his scholarship for Thomas Bryant. ;)

isn't BJ a freshman? contributes to next years team as a sophomor, then once McCullough leaves, Johnson still has Jr. & Sr years left...

Won't Johnson be a senior by then? I think playing time is way more important to most of these kids rather than being on a team with other good players. They are trying to set themselves up for a professional career, whether it be in the NBA, the D-League or Europe. Sitting behind a bunch of freshman who are better than him might not sound too appealing.
If everything goes right, they'll need his scholarship for Thomas Bryant. ;)

I agree Joseph will be fine. The biggest thing with him, IMO, is confidence. He felt comfortable in the BC game...you could see it in his eyes and it reflected in his game. I am confident that he will grow with the help of the coaching staff. He frustrates the hell out of me now though.

With regard to BJ Johnson, I think the thought is that he would be "asked" to transfer if Syracuse lands either Thomas Bryant or Chiek Diallo for 2015 (Bryant being much more likely). If they land one of those guys, one scholarship player would need to go. I think BJ is the most expendable.

huge win....they played their asses off

i liked the espn scroll announcing WVA being hit with penalties involving 14 sports, and indicating former AD Oliver Luck left a couple months ago to join the NCAA, coupled with the former Penn State dude as president of the NCAA, it seems the fox are guarding the hen house, so to speak