'Cuse Hoops 2014-15 - New York's College Team!!!

The Poojer

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i had never heard of them until last year, i am hoping i can find it on tv somewhere down here in philly, better than having to watch the frigging eagles

Carleton is legit. Nearly beat Indiana this summer without their top scorer. Good test early on.

I'm interested to see what the rotation looks like this year. Boeheim already basically said that Caleb Joseph is their only point guard so he'll likely get good minutes.

Rak-McCullough-Roberson-Cooney-Joseph

Gbinije first off the bench, and BJ Johnson and DC2 rotating in. I've been hearing good things about Chino too. I think he gets more burn as the season progresses.

Rak-McCullough-Roberson-Cooney-Joseph

Gbinije first off the bench, and BJ Johnson and DC2 rotating in. I've been hearing good things about Chino too. I think he gets more burn as the season progresses.

I'm hoping that Patterson gets some good minutes too. He has played tough on D and can shoot pretty well.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

http://www.suathletics.com/watch/?Archive=7632

Link to watch the game for those like myself who don't have Time Warner. $6.95 for a 24 hour pass...not a terrible deal.

I'm hoping that Patterson gets some good minutes too. He has played tough on D and can shoot pretty well.

I'd love it too, but I doubt he'll get much PT unless there is an injury.

Good game for Syracuse against a very formidable opponent. Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough look as advertised, and I'll say that McCullough has a much more well-rounded game than I anticipated. Joseph, IMO, is a very good point guard and ready to fill Ennis' shoes.

Good contribution from Ron Patterson off the bench. I've been waiting for JB to turn him loose and he didn't disappoint. Solid defensive player, and a silky smooth perimeter shot. Wasn't all that impressed with Cooney. Great exhibition win for the young team.

It's only an exhibition but my thoughts on the action:

McCullough is the real deal. Inside outside threat. Probably one and done.

Joseph could follow suit but he's not the player McCullough is.

Roberson thinks he's way better than he is.

Cooney went from G-Mac to Big Mac. Just not good at all.

Silent G looks like he's resumed a decent 6th man role.

Xmas turned it on in the second half. He's a better athlete then he shows. Need more attitude.

Patterson solid off the bench. Should be a go to scorer off the bench.

BJ didn't do much. He's a project.

Chino got little PT. I saw an interview where a player or assistant coach openly mocked his hands. Yikes!

It's only an exhibition but my thoughts on the action:

McCullough is the real deal. Inside outside threat. Probably one and done.

Joseph could follow suit but he's not the player McCullough is.

Roberson thinks he's way better than he is.

Cooney went from G-Mac to Big Mac. Just not good at all.

Silent G looks like he's resumed a decent 6th man role.

Xmas turned it on in the second half. He's a better athlete then he shows. Need more attitude.

Patterson solid off the bench. Should be a go to scorer off the bench.

BJ didn't do much. He's a project.

Chino got little PT. I saw an interview where a player or assistant coach openly mocked his hands. Yikes!

Fair assessment from my perspective. What did you (or anyone else) think about Cuse getting schooled on the boards by an undersized team? Silent G rebounded well, but overall we were bad on the glass.

I think there is something to be said for difficulty learning to rebound from the 2-3 zone. Hope they get much better there.

Any idea if Patterson will actually play this year? I thought JBs comments after the game about him to be disheartening-- suggesting he wouldn't get many minutes when the real bullets fly.

His athleticism is sub par compared to most D1 players but if he continues the hot shooting and Cooney...well...stays Cooney, Patterson will have to play.

Any idea if Patterson will actually play this year? I thought JBs comments after the game about him to be disheartening-- suggesting he wouldn't get many minutes when the real bullets fly.

I'll comment on this as well. In JB's post game presser he eluded to Patterson's inconsistency with regard to his shooting. To paraphrase, I think he said something to the effect of "he only shoots that well on 2 out of 7 days."

It remains clear that JB is not confident in Patterson. If he keeps shooting like that in spot playing time, however, he will be hard to keep off the court. While I still envision a 3 guard rotation for the most part, I could see Patterson becoming that "spark off the bench" type of player. Especially if Cooney continues to suck.

didn't get to see the game but not expecting much from this team this year. Cooney is terrible. I have no idea how this team is going to score.

This is a team that is going to have to play good defense and push the pace of the game to win. Fortunately, Kaleb Joseph is tailor made for a "run and gun" offense. I think Gibinije will improve as a scorer, and I'm encouraged by McCullough's potential to be a true inside-out scorer. As others have elluded to, Chris looks to be a one-and-done player.

The biggest wildcard, other than Cooney, is Rakeem Christmas. Is he finally going to step up and put this team on his shoulders? I know i have seen glimpses of that potential, but he has been so hot and cold. I have high hopes for Roberson, but he still looks really raw and always seems to have that deer in headlights look. Anything BJ Johnson and Patterson produce is just gravy.

Right now I view Syracuse as a top 15 team, and a team that could make a little run in the tourney.

This is a team that is going to have to play good defense and push the pace of the game to win. Fortunately, Kaleb Joseph is tailor made for a "run and gun" offense.

My one complaint with Ennis was that he didn't push the ball at all; good to see us get back to more of a fast break offense.

In related news, Ennis was able to play some garbage time minutes a few days ago when Phoenix blew out the Lakers.

My one complaint with Ennis was that he didn't push the ball at all; good to see us get back to more of a fast break offense.

In related news, Ennis was able to play some garbage time minutes a few days ago when Phoenix blew out the Lakers.

When I saw Ennis try to push it at SU, it wasn't pretty. I'm betting he was told not to as it wasn't a strength.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he will get enough playing time for us to ever find out. Admittedly, Phoenix was about the worst place he could land.

Completely agree on Phoenix being the worst place for him to be drafted.

when is coleman gonna get his ass out on the court, i think this team will be just fine, these games are hopefully being used to see what is out there in real time...i think this team has so much talent they are just trying to find the right pieces....

Caught most of the Hampton game. A bit of a struggle on offense. Guys like Roberson and Johnson got a lot of open looks and couldn't convert.

I have a feeling I will be really frustrated with Rak this year-- nice moves but hasn't been able to finish yet.

Duke and Carolina are freaking loaded. Gonna be a battle among the titans of the ACC this year.

Kennedy Meeks and Brice Johnson will eat all the oranges. Go heels

I hate to admit it, but this looks to be the case. I think Syracuse will ultimately be better than most expect, but Duke and UNC (especially Duke) are loaded with NBA ready talent and should easily handle Syracuse. Okafor, Jones and Winslow added to an already talented roster...oh my. I look forward to Duke hosting MSU tomorrow night.

I hate to admit it, but this looks to be the case. I think Syracuse will ultimately be better than most expect, but Duke and UNC (especially Duke) are loaded with NBA ready talent and should easily handle Syracuse. Okafor, Jones and Winslow added to an already talented roster...oh my. I look forward to Duke hosting MSU tomorrow night.

I am not going to admit it and let Ryan billz have his day in the sun!!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2014/11/ncaa_investigation_internship_hours_ties_between_ymca_and_syracuse_athletes_part.html

Some information about the NCAA's investigation of "improper benefits" to student athletes. It appears that a man not directly affiliated with the University is in hot water for embezzling a bunch of money from a YMCA in the Syracuse area. This same man apparently coordinated an internship program which many Syracuse athletes participated in. Apparently, this internship was part of a Child and Family Studies course that was popular among SU student athletes. The investigation, allegedly, delves into whether any Syracuse athletes received any of the embezzled cash.

I think this will all be cleared up. Doesn't appear as serious as I once thought.

Pretty excited to see them against better teams so we can have an idea how they stack up against the big boys. I really hope we get to see them against Texas in the final.

Btw. Did anyone else watch Kentucky beat Kansas down the other night? It was disgusting. I don't know how anyone will compete with them.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Pretty excited to see them against better teams so we can have an idea how they stack up against the big boys. I really hope we get to see them against Texas in the final.

Btw. Did anyone else watch Kentucky beat Kansas down the other night? It was disgusting. I don't know how anyone will compete with them.

Kentucky's bench (or 2nd platoon) could probably beat a few NBA teams. Disgusting.

This version of SU hoops isn't real good. They are getting run out of the gym by Cal. Cuse has no go to players. McCullough and Joseph show flashes but right now they aren't ready. Maybe they get better throughout the season and be ready tournament time. When silent G is your go to offensive player you are in trouble.

Edited by inkman

Honestly, kind of expected the bad offense tonight. They have no scorers. I would almost like to see them run more full court, go 10 deep, and generate more fast break opportunities.

The wings need a lot more work on defense. They just left cal guys wide open under the basket? That was the most troubling. If the offense is going to be rough, they need the defense to play better.