'Cuse Hoops 2014-15 - New York's College Team!!!

The Poojer

Wow. I expected a slow start, but the level of suckitude last night was staggering.

First off, it is clear to me now that Kaleb Joseph is not a plug and play solution for the loss of Ennis. He was terrible protecting the ball, creating offense, and shooting the ball (which he looks scared to do). McCullough showed some flashes of ability, but like Joseph is very raw. Gbinije is clearly the best player on the court right now, and yes, that is scary. Roberson is so frustrating to watch. All the talent in the world, but he just looks scared out there. Can't get out of his own way. Finally, Cooney is bad...that it all. If he weren't a fairly solid defender, he would have no business being out there.

We can't shoot, our rebounding is horrendous (even for a zone team), and the defensive effort last night was laughable. I remain optimistic, however, that this will be an entirely different team come February/March.

Go Cuse

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after losing to Cal with a PPP, to come back and hold on and win over a scrappy Iowa team can't help but be a "character builder", do not be surprised if this team wins 20 games and gets to the sweet sixteen, JB has a knack for getting the most out of the least, think about it how many times has CUSE not been looked as a contender and ended up deep in the March dance, as always GO CUSE

Edited by rumblefish

after losing to Cal with a PPP, to come back and hold on and win over a scrappy Iowa team can't help but be a "character builder", do not be surprised if this team wins 20 games and gets to the sweet sixteen, JB has a knack for getting the most out of the least, think about it how many times has CUSE not been looked as a contender and ended up deep in the March dance, as always GO CUSE

I hope you are right. I think the team defense has to get better and it probably will. But need at least one other scorer to really elevate his game, IMO.

After all these years of good point play, it's weird watching one who isn't NBA ready. I think Joseph will be okay, his court vision is just not that great right now. McCullough is going to be the best player on this team.

After all these years of good point play, it's weird watching one who isn't NBA ready. I think Joseph will be okay, his court vision is just not that great right now. McCullough is going to be the best player on this team.

We were spoiled with Gmac, Scoop, Flynn, MCW and Ennis. I agree that Joseph will be okay, but he does need some work. Good thing he has a HOF coach. Also agree about CMac. He's a freak of nature and sure to be a one-and-done.

Just caught the last 12 minutes. I gotta say that I like Obokoh's game. Soft hands, great finish, strong on the boards. Looks a little flat-footed on defense, but otherwise seemed like he good be pretty good. I hope they get him some real minutes this year. I hate when Rak gets in foul trouble and we go small. Would love to see Obokoh in there instead.

Just caught the last 12 minutes. I gotta say that I like Obokoh's game. Soft hands, great finish, strong on the boards. Looks a little flat-footed on defense, but otherwise seemed like he good be pretty good. I hope they get him some real minutes this year. I hate when Rak gets in foul trouble and we go small. Would love to see Obokoh in there instead.

gmac lol'd when describing Chino's hands. He looked ok last game but I think he is abysmal offensively.

gmac lol'd when describing Chino's hands. He looked ok last game but I think he is abysmal offensively.

Really? I had never seen him play before and thought he looked good around the basket. But obviously Gmac sees him everyday.

Edit: nice article on him today--

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/11/chino_obokoh_syracuses_sophomore_center_sees_playing_time_vs_loyola.html

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Was at the game. I couldn't believe how skinny McCullough is, he makes Warrick look like tractor traylor.

1) JB laid into the media tonight about the report that McCullough is a lottery pick. He needs to really bulk up and stay in school, IMO.

2) espn3 totally crapped out tonight; few saw the game. Looked from the box score that they still can't shoot (0-12 on 3s?).

3) was Rak as good as the box score showed?

1) JB laid into the media tonight about the report that McCullough is a lottery pick. He needs to really bulk up and stay in school, IMO.

2) espn3 totally crapped out tonight; few saw the game. Looked from the box score that they still can't shoot (0-12 on 3s?).

3) was Rak as good as the box score showed?

I thought Christmas looked physically imposing. Just a men among boys. They need to pound the rock into Rak :) .

A pretty dominant performance despite completely abysmal perimeter shooting. As usual, Christmas and McCullough were the best 2 players on the court. CMac had a couple really nice mid-range jumpers off the dribble which was really nice to see. Joseph seems to be gaining confidence as every game passes, but still is very much a reluctant shooter. He did seem to take the ball to the rim with more tenacity though. Cuse is going to need at least 10-12 points a game from him to do anything this year.

Cooney was bad again, and Gbinije was even worse. Don't know what we are going to do at the guard position. Small forward is still very much a mystery. With Roberson ailing, however, BJ Johnson has received some solid minutes. I like him more and more, although his outside shot (a supposed strength coming out of HS) is nonexistent.

Going to be very, very interesting on Tuesday.

Never seen such sloppy turnovers by a Syracuse team. This game was ours for the taking and they literally fumbled it away...like 25 times.

Uggh. I think Caleb Joseph should be investigated for point shaving. Seriously, how many times can you dribble the ball off your foot out of bounds?

Gave the game away.

Uggh. I think Caleb Joseph should be investigated for point shaving. Seriously, how many times can you dribble the ball off your foot out of bounds?

Gave the game away.

That was very frustrating to watch. I don't feel good about Joseph, Cooney and Gbinije in the front court. Gbinije has so much potential, but he never seems to get it together.

Christmas looks to have improved his game more than I thought possible.

Well this was about what I expected. A tema led by Gbinije, Cooney, and Rak is going to be very inconsistent for stretches. I love what I am see from McCullough. By the end of the year I think this team will be much better than what we are seeing right now. Cooney is maddening though. When he is confident he is a killer. He just more often than not looks like he feels he doesn't belong. Unfortunately Cuse is going to be an easy team to beat this year. Just get Rak and McCullough in foul trouble and they are done.

On a different note. How in the world was that not an and 1 for Gbinije last night?!?!? Cuse definitely deserved to lose after blowing back to back chances after that and all of the turnovers they had but damn was that a missed call.

my initial reaction was 'how was that not a travel by Gbinije?'

On a different note. How in the world was that not an and 1 for Gbinije last night?!?!? Cuse definitely deserved to lose after blowing back to back chances after that and all of the turnovers they had but damn was that a missed call.

for a team that is not expected to do well this year, you got to give them credit for hanging in with Michigan to the very end, it was a loss in the books, but it was a win in development of team character and down the road this team will be better for it, true Cuse supporters understand that

for a team that is not expected to do well this year, you got to give them credit for hanging in with Michigan to the very end, it was a loss in the books, but it was a win in development of team character and down the road this team will be better for it, true Cuse supporters understand that

No doubt, but that's the kind of win that would look really good to a bubble team.

This ACC/B10 challenge always gets me so pumped for college ball. Cannot believe it's college basketball season and I still have a reason to pay attention to the Bills. Absolutely good times tonight. UNC got shut down by Iowa's D. I love it.

Last week talking to UNC fans I had the time of my life listening to them gloat about how Syracuse got to the ACC just in time for UNC working their way back up. How Syracuse won't do anything now and crack the top 25, all this trash. Well, they got served tonight. Love it.

This ACC/B10 challenge always gets me so pumped for college ball. Cannot believe it's college basketball season and I still have a reason to pay attention to the Bills. Absolutely good times tonight. UNC got shut down by Iowa's D. I love it.

Last week talking to UNC fans I had the time of my life listening to them gloat about how Syracuse got to the ACC just in time for UNC working their way back up. How Syracuse won't do anything now and crack the top 25, all this trash. Well, they got served tonight. Love it.

Yeah, where's Ryan L Billz?

So who we got coming in next year? This might be the worst SU backcourt I've ever seen.

It is sad when Ron Patterson is your best guard and you have a forward running the point.

Something should also be said about BJ Johnson. That guy was just throwing up bricks.

I think it's pretty clear what will improve this team. When cooney can hit 4 or 5 three's, we are a different team.

So who we got coming in next year? This might be the worst SU backcourt I've ever seen.

Malachi Richardson is supposed to be the real deal. Has the size to play SF, but he will play SG for Syracuse. Folks say he is one of the best pure shooters in the '15 class.

We'll see. Prior to the season I was hearing how Joseph was going to step right in for Ennis. That's not working out so well. Really though, with Richardson, Howard, Lydon and Diagne they have a potential top 5 recruiting class.

Tough loss today, Gbinije makes one more field goal in the last few minutes this game is over. Refs were questionable on both sides, i don't get how a team with a 13 point halftime leads ends up on the short end of an 8-1 personal foul talley midway through the half, still with the lead. But there were 4 or so plays in the last five minutes that went SU way that i thought weren't deserving. Cuse played tough, 'Nova made some halftime adjustments to allow themselves back in the game. Shadowed a hot Cooney the entire second half.

I was at the game and once again it seemed like a home crowd for Syracuse, kind of embarrassing for Villanova, I could not imagine visiting teams being so well represented in the dome.

What a joke of a game from an officiating standpoint. How does cooney get pushed down on the inbounds and no call? And then they hit both Rak and McCullough in the corner after. I have never seen anything like that.

Some positives to build on, but obviously turnovers continue to plague this team.

This had me livid. On a positive note, Joseph looked pretty good tonight.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall