I've never seen a football game end like this

Deranged Rhino

It should have been drawn in the play that the moment the clock expired, drop and cover up... Or in this case get out of bounds. Maybe it wasn't hammered home. Yep, he should have known, but it is the coaches job to hit home the obvious. I wonder if the coach did that (hit home the obvious). Probably not.

Could have been worse. How do you ask? From reading it first, I was expecting the QB watched time expire and then flung the ball in the air for celebration. Boy would that have been even more gut wrenching if you were the Spanish Fork Dons.

Jim Marshall ran the wrong way. Players made mistakes on "live ball" kick-offs. This kid is only in High School. Not sure if the coach advised him, but the coach should have been a narotic mess beating the procedure to kill time and KNEEL into his team's (and Qb's) head... Did he? It was a three point game even if he ran for the safety. The Coach: "Just keep on running through the endzone... "Don't lose that ball!" "I repeat: DO NOT LOSE THAT BALL." A good coach will continue to state the obvious!

It should have been drawn in the play that the moment the clock expired, drop and cover up... Or in this case get out of bounds. Maybe it wasn't hammered home. Yep, he should have known, but it is the coaches job to hit home the obvious. I wonder if the coach did that (hit home the obvious). Probably not.

Could have been worse. How do you ask? From reading it first, I was expecting the QB watched time expire and then flung the ball in the air for celebration. Boy would that have been even more gut wrenching if you were the Spanish Fork Dons.

I heard the kid was also on the basketball team- guessing it was just your average brain fart of being a creature of habit. Good chance he was explicitly told and still handled it like he probably has 100 bball games where the situation is common

So, is this fair?

Number 1 ranked team removed from state playoffs because a JV player entered the game with little time remaining at the end of the game...

Four junior varsity players dressed for Friday's varsity game, and one of them actually played in the game, GCS officials said. All four players had participated in the last JV game of the season Thursday.

NCHSAA rules allow players to move up to varsity after the JV season is over. However, rules also prohibit athletes from participating in more than one game a week and consider athletes who dress as participating.

The player entered the game with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter. The coaches called for someone to get in when there were only 10 players on the field, Margaret Johnson reported.