When Kiko comes back, what's your plan for our LBs?

They were going to move Kiko to the outside despite the monster year he had at MLB in 2013. Preston Brown has taken the spot Kiko would have had this season and is doing very well. Brad-ham, despite his penalties yesterday, has been very good this season and Brandon Spikes might just re-up for next year.

So... Who sits? Kiko has to be on the field - that's a given. Preston has played 99% (if not 100%) of snaps this season. You put Kiko back in the middle and let Spikes walk? Put Brad-ham back on the bench? Go back to a 3-4?

Talk to me.

They were going to move Kiko to the outside despite the monster year he had at MLB in 2013. Preston Brown has taken the spot Kiko would have had this season and is doing very well. Brad-ham, despite his penalties yesterday, has been very good this season and Brandon Spikes might just re-up for next year.

So... Who sits? Kiko has to be on the field - that's a given. Preston has played 99% (if not 100%) of snaps this season. You put Kiko back in the middle and let Spikes walk? Put Brad-ham back on the bench? Go back to a 3-4?

Talk to me.

Not sure who goes where but I would say it's a lock Spikes is not here next year (too one dimensional).

My plan is to watch them and enjoy.

As for the team, I think they put Brown in the middle, which I believe is where he is best suited, and say goodbye to Spikes. Bradham on one side, Kiko on the other. Bad things, man.

I really dont think it is a forgone conclusion that Spikes is gone next year.....

- What are people afraid of......a ridiculous contract? Spikes might just like it here and take a good deal

- Both Brown and Spikes optimal position is MLB....BUT....Brown is showing he can play MULTIPLE positions.........so you could play Spikes on running downs and Brown on passing downs...then you also have depth at the OLB position should something bad happen

Why get rid of good players?

As our d-line has demonstrated, depth is not a bad thing.

- Kiko makes his planned move to his natural position, WLB.

- Bradham stays at SLB.

- Brown slides to MLB, which is his natural position.

- Spikes comes in for Brown on base 4-3 running downs, and comes in as the true MIC in goalline sets with 4-4 and 5-2 or 3 personel.

By inserting Spikes into the lineup it allows you to spell any of the other three, by shuffeling them around, without a letdown in the quality of play.

Now, will it happen?

Who knows...

There's always the question of how comfortable Spikes would be in that role. There's also a question of how well Kiko recovers, as well as the continued development of Randall Johnson and Ty Powell, as well as Kieth Rivers presence on the roster.

I've gotta say though, it sure is a nice problem to have.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

actually I think Bradham took Kiko's spot on the weak side with Rivers who was replaced by Brown on the strong side

I would still like to see them resign Spikes leaving him in the middle with Brown and Kiko on the Outside and Bradham as backup but could see Brown in Middle next year with Bradham and Kiko on the outside

We will have a very amazing defense with Kiko back. We will be right there with Carolina in the Thomas Davis/Luke Kuechly duo.

We will be able to line up at 3-4 in many formations, most favorably. .We have depth at many positions and flexibility amongst many players who have contributed in many schemes and fronts (34, 43). The way I see it the following could be used as such

DE: Hughes, MWilliams, KWilliams, Charles, Wynn, Dareus

DT: Bryant, Dareus, Charles

OLB: Lawson, MWilliams, Hughes, Brown, Powell, Rivers, Alonso, Bradham

ILB: Brown, Spikes, Bradham, Alonso, Powell

A few fun 3-4 lineups:

KWilliams / Bryant / Dareus

MWilliams / Spikes / Bradham / Alonso

You are not going to run very far on this front. Mario Williams is a wall against the run.

MWilliams / Dareus / Hughes

Lawson / Spikes / Bradham / Alonso

Very flexible to cover the pass with Alonso and Lawson on the outside and Hughes and Williams pressuring outside.

MWilliams / Bryant/ Dareus

Bradham / Spikes / Alonso / Hughes

Hughes now up in a 34WLB can rush the passer from the outside while Alonso covers from the Jack position and Bradham is strongside agains the run and Bryant and Spikes hold the middle.

Overall, I expect the 43 to remain the base D.

Bradham - Brown - Alonso as the base D

If, and hopefully, Spikes returns then I see him used on running downs.

With our run D the best its been in forever I think we need to focus on keeping Spikes.

actually I think Bradham took Kiko's spot on the weak side with Rivers who was replaced by Brown on the strong side

I would still like to see them resign Spikes leaving him in the middle with Brown and Kiko on the Outside and Bradham as backup but could see Brown in Middle next year with Bradham and Kiko on the outside

That was the original plan, but a few weeks ago they moved Bradham to the strong side.

We will have a very amazing defense with Kiko back. We will be right there with Carolina in the Thomas Davis/Luke Kuechly duo.

We will be able to line up at 3-4 in many formations, most favorably. .We have depth at many positions and flexibility amongst many players who have contributed in many schemes and fronts (34, 43). The way I see it the following could be used as such

DE: Hughes, MWilliams, KWilliams, Charles, Wynn, Dareus

DT: Bryant, Dareus, Charles

OLB: Lawson, MWilliams, Hughes, Brown, Powell, Rivers, Alonso, Bradham

ILB: Brown, Spikes, Bradham, Alonso, Powell

A few fun 3-4 lineups:

KWilliams / Bryant / Dareus

MWilliams / Spikes / Bradham / Alonso

You are not going to run very far on this front. Mario Williams is a wall against the run.

MWilliams / Dareus / Hughes

Lawson / Spikes / Bradham / Alonso

Very flexible to cover the pass with Alonso and Lawson on the outside and Hughes and Williams pressuring outside.

MWilliams / Bryant/ Dareus

Bradham / Spikes / Alonso / Hughes

Hughes now up in a 34WLB can rush the passer from the outside while Alonso covers from the Jack position and Bradham is strongside agains the run and Bryant and Spikes hold the middle.

Overall, I expect the 43 to remain the base D.

Bradham - Brown - Alonso as the base D

If, and hopefully, Spikes returns then I see him used on running downs.

With our run D the best its been in forever I think we need to focus on keeping Spikes.

You left out the best posible combination:

Mario / Kyle / Dareus

Bradham / Brown / Alonso / Hughes

You left out the best posible combination:

Mario / Kyle / Dareus

Bradham / Brown / Alonso / Hughes

Also left out a few more like

Charles / KWilliams / Dareus

MWilliams / Spikes / Alonso / Hughes

That's a lot of pass rush.

KWilliams / Dareus / Charles

MWilliams / Bradham / Spikes / Alonso

Is that a 4-3 or a 3-4? The QB will have to figure it out. Surprise, here comes CB blitz.

I really dont think it is a forgone conclusion that Spikes is gone next year.....

- What are people afraid of......a ridiculous contract? Spikes might just like it here and take a good deal

- Both Brown and Spikes optimal position is MLB....BUT....Brown is showing he can play MULTIPLE positions.........so you could play Spikes on running downs and Brown on passing downs...then you also have depth at the OLB position should something bad happen

Why get rid of good players?

It's a two-way street. Spikes may not want to stick around if he's not getting the playing time he wants. He probably believes he's a full-time, three-down starter, and wants to get paid as such. If the market agrees, I'm sure he'd want to be elsewhere.

Another nice problem to have -- none of those guys are really getting old. Mario Williams and Spikes have been in the league a few years but have lots of mileage left. Kyle Williams is not slowing down at all and probably has three or four good years left. The rest are young guys with many years of dominance in their future.

We should face facts that we won't be able to keep all these guys. We have at least 7 starter-quality D linemen. If Brown and Bradham develop as expected, and Kiko returns, and Spikes comes back, I pity the opposition. But from our perspective we have too much talent to keep everyone, other teams will raid the Bills and overpay. There will be some tough decisions ahead about which ones to keep and which ones to let walk. The cold hard calculation is to let the older guys go (KWill and MWill) but KWill provides such leadership, we need him around particularly if Fred Jackson doesn't come back at full speed.