No Pettine, Kiko, or Byrd ... No problem

YoloinOhio

But Schwartz is just like Wannestadt.

I know you are being ironic... but there are people still saying these kinds of things. I presume they've never watched football before.

My man love for Jim Schwartz just keeps growing. My big worry now is I think he is a perfect fit in Atlanta. Please let us hold onto him just 1 more year at least....

I think you see what you had in Byrd now that he's gone. An opportunistic player when it came to interceptions, but very possibly not such a great safety from a scheme perspective. It's funny how the team got instantly better when they dumped 'Lil donte, and now the Byrd is gone, they seem to be even better. Also, the blitz happy Pettine was a step in the right direction, but maybe what we had last year with him as as good as it was going to get. If anything this year, I love our defense this year, it has been a show to watch.

Being DC here = head coach maker.

Our defense is absolutely loaded. All we have is 1st rounders (including a #1 overall and #3) and one of the best picks in team history (Kyle Williams). You have to be an idiot to not be successful here (Wanny).

As bad as our offense has been under Marrone, he has been money at picking DCs.

Yea agree Homey. I want nobody to see my support for Jim Schwartz as a dig at Mike Pettine. It is not. He did a hell of a job here. He took over a horribly underachieving, talented group and gave them their confidence back and started the culture of this defense. His scheme gave a lot up at times but it made people scared of the Bills D again for the first time in years. We were not a "soft touch" any more. Maybe Pettine himself would have made the corrections that needed to be made to kick us on this year - I don't know - but I do know that Schwartz has and this defense is legit.

My only beef with Schwartz was the New England game other then that hes been a very solid DC as the defense is a top unit.

And unfortunately that is the hurdle that this team needs to clear. That performance taints an otherwise outstanding debut. I have been impressed with his work replacing Pettine and I was a Schwartz detractor because he honestly has been a very average DC over the course of his career but he has done well. I do think that the revampled LB corps...even without Kiko they are much more capable as a unit....and the improved play of Dareus and Hughes and the reserve DL would have made a huge difference for Pettine this year as well though. And the thing about Pettine is that he comes from that Ravens/Jets defensive school that has been able to beat the Patriots in playoff games and that matters. In the unlikely, IMO, event that someone is dumb enough to hire Schwartz as a HC again I am hoping for more of a return to that Ravens 3-4 style because it allows you to do more with less talent and with pending free agencies and age/salary cap # issues over the next couple of seasons I think that style of D is more sustainable.

Probably the most misused word in the english language.

He was being ironic though and not sarcastic I did not misuse the word.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Irony (n) - The expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

I would like to see what Schwartz can do against Gronk with Aaron Williams.

Yea agree Homey. I want nobody to see my support for Jim Schwartz as a dig at Mike Pettine. It is not. He did a hell of a job here. He took over a horribly underachieving, talented group and gave them their confidence back and started the culture of this defense. His scheme gave a lot up at times but it made people scared of the Bills D again for the first time in years. We were not a "soft touch" any more. Maybe Pettine himself would have made the corrections that needed to be made to kick us on this year - I don't know - but I do know that Schwartz has and this defense is legit.

Could not agree more with this point. Marrone's arrival and the Pettine hire brought a toughness that was never there under Edwards or Wannstedt.

In the unlikely, IMO, event that someone is dumb enough to hire Schwartz as a HC again I am hoping for more of a return to that Ravens 3-4 style because it allows you to do more with less talent and with pending free agencies and age/salary cap # issues over the next couple of seasons I think that style of D is more sustainable.

I think there is something in the suggestion that the kind of creative blitzing of a Rex Ryan team allows you to do more with less talent but you still need talent up there on the D-Line to make it work. It possibly allows you to hide some weaknesses in the linebacking corps and the secondary at least in the passing game. The fact is top defenses are always without fail a combination of talent and scheme. I happen to think we have that combination about perfect here at the moment.