Geno's passer rating was 0.0...

YoloinOhio

imo they gave him the hook too early. The first pick was on the coaching staff for trying to force the ball deep to Harvin early. Guy doesnt know the offense and as Michael Irvin aptly pointed out "he's a running back playing WR" ... deep routes aren't his thing. The other 2 were on Geno, which isnt great but doesnt get your starter yanked that early. That and Vick being completely washed up, meant you keep Geno in the game

Well, I will grant you that the Jets coaching staff seemed to think "heave it up and let Percy go get it" was a good strategy. Of course, at 1-6 we thought they had nothing to lose, but it turned out they did -- any sense of pride whatsoever, Rex's job, etc. I'm a little concerned that after getting blown out by KC next weekend they'll regroup and play hard enough for Rex to play us tough in 3 weeks, but this is the worst situation a team can find itself in: needing to rebuild from the bottom up, but stuck with the wrong players and contracts to get that done. Miss Mark Sanchez yet?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will grant you that the Jets coaching staff seemed to think "heave it up and let Percy go get it" was a good strategy. Of course, at 1-6 we thought they had nothing to lose, but it turned out they did -- any sense of pride whatsoever, Rex's job, etc. I'm a little concerned that after getting blown out by KC next weekend they'll regroup and play hard enough for Rex to play us tough in 3 weeks, but this is the worst situation a team can find itself in: needing to rebuild from the bottom up, but stuck with the wrong players and contracts to get that done. Miss Mark Sanchez yet?

why does everyone assume the players don't want Rex fired? I assume they'd like to win!

2013 Worst QB Class in NFL History

EJ Manuel - bust

Geno Smith - bust

Mike Glennon - bust

rest so bad they can't even be considered busts just guys who were never expected to see the field in the first place

Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib

Tyler Wilson

Landry Jones

Brad Sorensen

Zack Dysert

BJ Daniels

Sean Renfree

EJ Manuel - bust

Geno Smith - bust

Mike Glennon - bust

rest so bad they can't even be considered busts just guys who were never expected to see the field in the first place

Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib

Tyler Wilson

Landry Jones

Brad Sorensen

Zack Dysert

BJ Daniels

Sean Renfree

It is a very makeable argument. I've said a few times over recent weeks the mistake was not taking EJ Manuel it was getting ourselves into a position where we HAD to go QB in a terrible class. In that class if I was taking a chance on one of those guys it was always EJ - he was the right pick it was the wider strategy that was wrong.

It would be interesting if Barkley and Nassib ever saw any serious time though. A lot of people saying "ah EJ / Geno should have had a year to sit" well these guys have sat now as backups.... will they fare any better if they get in? Everyone below Nassib on the list is a total write off.

imo they gave him the hook too early. The first pick was on the coaching staff for trying to force the ball deep to Harvin early. Guy doesnt know the offense and as Michael Irvin aptly pointed out "he's a running back playing WR" ... deep routes aren't his thing. The other 2 were on Geno, which isnt great but doesnt get your starter yanked that early. That and Vick being completely washed up, meant you keep Geno in the game

for a player to be washed up, they would have had to be good at some point in their careers. Micheal Vick's 52% lifetime completion percentage would suggest otherwise.

EJ Manuel - bust

Geno Smith - bust

Mike Glennon - bust

Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib

Tyler Wilson

Landry Jones

Brad Sorensen

Zack Dysert

BJ Daniels

Sean Renfree

Calling anyone a bust after 2 years is dumb. This year's class isn't off to a great start either. Guys like Luck and Wilson are the rare ones. IT takes time for Qbs to develop. But we hate patience. :(

And I like Geno before the draft. I think he was a solid passer. I was out on him the second he could not figure out PAcific coast time.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse QB performance. I have no idea what he was thinking on those throws.

it wasnt even just the throws - if i recall there was an early read option where he decided to keep the ball and run straight into a crowd of defenders. pre-snap i was surprised we had the extra guy looking like he was going to come off the edge and then bam, geno runs straight into him (and i think another guy too)

And I like Geno before the draft. I think he was a solid passer. I was out on him the second he could not figure out PAcific coast time.

i did too, but once he landed in NY - i didnt think hed go far. he had the tools to succeed in a good situation i think, but the jets are not a good situation for a qb.

I always thought Geno was a risk. I never felt like he had the intangibles, I always felt he was a sulker and didn't have the ability to make the right read. Does he have the pure arm talent? Maybe... he certainly has a pretty smooth throwing motion.... but I don't think he has the leadership of the know how to play the position in the pros.

Red should be fired for giving up on his franchise QB after less than one quarter.

He's given him like 23 games. He also doesn't have a better option. I admire Rex's loyalty. If someone gets him a franchise qb at his next job, he will be a great coach. There is no comparison to the talent on the Jets and Bills at this point.

If you lost the turnover battle 6-0, it really doesn't matter who your QB is.

I always thought Geno was a risk. I never felt like he had the intangibles, I always felt he was a sulker and didn't have the ability to make the right read. Does he have the pure arm talent? Maybe... he certainly has a pretty smooth throwing motion.... but I don't think he has the leadership of the know how to play the position in the pros.

And that's why I don't want to give up on EJ because I think he does have the intangibles. And I hope the Bills don't either. Hopefully, he is learning by watching Orton.

He's given him like 23 games. He also doesn't have a better option. I admire Rex's loyalty. If someone gets him a franchise qb at his next job, he will be a great coach. There is no comparison to the talent on the Jets and Bills at this point.

If you lost the turnover battle 6-0, it really doesn't matter who your QB is.

The weird thing is, the Bills really didn't capitalize much on the turnovers except for the one given to them on the 1. But it did keep the Jests pinned deep in their own end and the way Geno and doggie-killer were playing that's all it took.

The weird thing is, the Bills really didn't capitalize much on the turnovers except for the one given to them on the 1. But it did keep the Jests pinned deep in their own end and the way Geno and doggie-killer were playing that's all it took.

Exactly. I would have been the guy telling everyone to relax, we won. But there is so much room for improvement. Good coaches will use this the right way.

But we can't count on playing a team that will play as bad as the Jets did. I don't think Alex Smith is anything special but he won't get them beat.

Geno's confidence has to be done unless he's completely clueless or on something.

At the same point, the great ones are able to move on. Orton had a game as a rookie where he threw 5 ints. You have to have superior confidence. I hope EJ does. But honestly, I can't see Geno doing it consistently. He just lacks something.

I wasn't surprised they pulled him, but I am surprised they didn't go back to him once Vick showed he couldn't get it done.

for a player to be washed up, they would have had to be good at some point in their careers. Micheal Vick's 52% lifetime completion percentage would suggest otherwise.

I liked Vick at one time, he had a great playoff win @ green bay. But when you're washed up, you're washed up. 34 is too old for his kind of game, and he's been in too many systems. And he's never been able to pickup the blitz. He reminds me of mcnabb now at the point he was hanging around too long, when the game had simply gotten too fast for him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack