Seriuosly, Why Can't Coaches Challenge Penalty Calls?

patfitz

I submit to you that a bad penalty call (as we have unfortunately been witness to way too often) can be just as injurious and in some cases even more so as a bad call on a fumble recovery, or catch ruled incomplete, etc. In light of the very poor quality of officiating league wide, a coach should two challenges for challenges to penalty calls in addition to the two existing challenges. That would be up to the coach to decide how to use them. I could live with that since ti does not appear that officiating is going to be consistent or fair from game to game.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I submit to you that a bad penalty call (as we have unfortunately been witness to way too often) can be just as injurious and in some cases even more so as a bad call on a fumble recovery, or catch ruled incomplete, etc. In light of the very poor quality of officiating league wide, a coach should two challenges for challenges to penalty calls in addition to the two existing challenges. That would be up to the coach to decide how to use them. I could live with that since ti does not appear that officiating is going to be consistent or fair from game to game.

I have been saying this for years, especially WRT pass interference, which seems to be called correctly about 20 percent of the time and is often crippling for the team against which it is called. I expect to see this change happen first in college football, where most innovation and progressive thought seems to emanate from these days.

I have been saying this for years, especially WRT pass interference, which seems to be called correctly about 20 percent of the time and is often crippling for the team against which it is called. I expect to see this change happen first in college football, where most innovation and progressive thought seems to emanate from these days.

College football doesn't have the bad officiating the NFL does.

Quite frankly, I do believe its deliberate.

College football doesn't have the bad officiating the NFL does.

Then you haven't been watching much college football. The officiating is horrific. The Miss. St. v. Auburn game this past weekend is a good example. Some of the worst PI calls (and non-calls) I have ever seen and they completely changed the game. And the PAC 12 refs are no better.

the thing that drives me nuts is when they throw a flag and then it gets picked up and you hear "there was no penalty on the play for...". If there is no penalty, why did the geriatric in the striped shirt throw a flag. Making it even worse is when an official with a worse vantage point convinces the official who threw the flag that he didn't see what he saw. It's absurd. Same with the blown calls, keep track of guys who throw flags that get picked up. If they other refs have to keep correcting them, they need to be fired.

Bc it's a judgement call

Even more reason to be able to challenge!

yes, let's turn already endless games into day-long sagas. we'll call it cricket or something.

jw

Hmm.. they can challenge plays now.. don't think the game got any longer.

here's the deal in my humble opinion: stuff happens. it always will. and no matter how many cameras they post at games from every angle, including crotch shots, there is never, ever going to be an ideal solution to determine what, when and why. it's impossible. the pendulum, at this point in my opinion, has swung to such a degree where everything has become open to interpretation in a game where stuff happens at such a fast pace where it's difficulty to determine intention versus occasion.

how far do we need to go to suck all the life out of imperfection. have we become such a digitized, paranoid, the sky-is-falling, conspiracy theory nation in which we pick nit-pick millimeters. should we do so, then, yes, let's prolong games to never-ending commercial breaks and video reviews. why not parse every play to ensure nothing went wrong. good luck with that.

i happen to believe that everyone gets screwed sometimes, and there's nothing wrong with that, because i live a life of pure imperfection. so why should sports be any different.

sure, there will be many -- mostly and probably rush fans -- who disagree with me, in believing it's only the bills that get burned. puh-leeze.

must we cater to x-box society to such a degree in which we become trapped in some neo-driven matrix of purity.

i'll risk a mistake rather than another series of verizon-sponsored commercial breaks.

jw

Hmm.. they can challenge plays now.. don't think the game got any longer.

really. the games are shorter now, and less insipid with networks hiring actual and former referees to provide an interpretation of a call that they get wrong half the time because they're no longer under the hood, and merely guessing, like the rest of us, sitting in our underwear on a couch, hoping the call goes against or for you, because you just may have the player in your fantasy league, and hope the call doesn't cost you a point for, say, a turnover.

c'mon, the fantasy leagues -- and i'll admit i'm hooked, too -- have contributed to the demise of sports as we once knew it. and i'm old enough to back that up.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

do you have 5 hours to invest in every game?

because that is what will happen

do you have 5 hours to invest in every game?

because that is what will happen

Not true. The number of coaching challenges would remain the same; it would just be the scope of the calls subject to review that would expand.

here's the deal in my humble opinion: stuff happens. it always will. and no matter how many cameras they post at games from every angle, including crotch shots, there is never, ever going to be an ideal solution to determine what, when and why. it's impossible. the pendulum, at this point in my opinion, has swung to such a degree where everything has become open to interpretation in a game where stuff happens at such a fast pace where it's difficulty to determine intention versus occasion.

how far do we need to go to suck all the life out of imperfection. have we become such a digitized, paranoid, the sky-is-falling, conspiracy theory nation in which we pick nit-pick millimeters. should we do so, then, yes, let's prolong games to never-ending commercial breaks and video reviews. why not parse every play to ensure nothing went wrong. good luck with that.

i happen to believe that everyone gets screwed sometimes, and there's nothing wrong with that, because i live a life of pure imperfection. so why should sports be any different.

sure, there will be many -- mostly and probably rush fans -- who disagree with me, in believing it's only the bills that get burned. puh-leeze.

must we cater to x-box society to such a degree in which we become trapped in some neo-driven matrix of purity.

i'll risk a mistake rather than another series of verizon-sponsored commercial breaks.

jw

really. the games are shorter now, and less insipid with networks hiring actual and former referees to provide an interpretation of a call that they get wrong half the time because they're no longer under the hood, and merely guessing, like the rest of us, sitting in our underwear on a couch, hoping the call goes against or for you, because you just may have the player in your fantasy league, and hope the call doesn't cost you a point for, say, a turnover.

c'mon, the fantasy leagues -- and i'll admit i'm hooked, too -- have contributed to the demise of sports as we once knew it. and i'm old enough to back that up.

jw

I agree with everything here. I suspect the people who want this most also think that the Bills and only the Bills get screwed by calls every single game.

Unless by "rush" you meant Rush the musical group instead of Rush the blowhard Limbaugh. ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

jw

jw

Nice

Defensive PI should be review-able IMO. We are talking huge chunks of game-altering yardage that wouldnt hurt to take a second look at.

Same number of challenges per coach, and they have done a better job with speeding up reviews this season IMO (without data)

Edited by May Day 10

Defensive PI should be review-able IMO. We are talking huge chunks of game-altering yardage that wouldnt hurt to take a second look at.

Same number of challenges per coach, and they have done a better job with speeding up reviews this season IMO (without data)

I think such a change would only increase the amount of controversy surrounding such calls. As it is, we can look at the replay and say, "bad call." But, put it up to a review, and the slightest bit of inconsistency from one officiating staff to another, or one call to another opens up a whole can of ugliness, and would turn into a huge distraction. Especially with PI.

I think we do the game a disservice the more we remove the human element-- even from officiating. At some point, we may as well have computers call the penalties. And, the technology certainly exists.

I think such a change would only increase the amount of controversy surrounding such calls. As it is, we can look at the replay and say, "bad call." But, put it up to a review, and the slightest bit of inconsistency from one officiating staff to another, or one call to another opens up a whole can of ugliness, and would turn into a huge distraction. Especially with PI.

I think we do the game a disservice the more we remove the human element-- even from officiating. At some point, we may as well have computers call the penalties. And, the technology certainly exists.

thumbs up.

jw