Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

Not sure how, but in all my years of medicine...never heard that one. :thumbsup:

Really? That goes all the way back to the 1918 pandemic. "I had a little bird and its name was Enza. I opened up the window and in flew Enza." My grandmother jumped-rope to it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? That goes all the way back to the 1918 pandemic. "I had a little bird and its name was Enza. I opened up the window and in flew Enza." My grandmother jumped-rope to it.

It's somehow true and I get your befuddlement. Since EiI enlightened me, I googled it and there are a zillion references, youtube videos, wikipedia articles and many references to the jump rope jingle. The more I read, the more incredulous my statement becomes. I guess this settles it.... I AM an idiot! :bag:

Don't feel bad, I don't think I've ever hear it either, but I am an idiot.

It's somehow true and I get your befuddlement. Since EiI enlightened me, I googled it and there are a zillion references, youtube videos, wikipedia articles and many references to the jump rope jingle. The more I read, the more incredulous my statement becomes. I guess this settles it.... I AM an idiot! :bag:

• 1 month later...

"Vaccines contain a variety of toxic compounds, including thimerosal (a mercury-containing preservative) and aluminum hydroxide, the most commonly used adjuvant which may be even more dangerous than mercury.

Vaccines are a $30 billion per year industry. Decades ago there used to be dozens of vaccine manufacturers, but today just five big drug corporations dominate the lucrative world vaccine market: Pfizer, Merck, Sanofi Pasteur, Novartis and GlaxoSmithKline."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/24/catastrophic-vaccine-reactions.aspx?e_cid=20150124Z1_DNL_RTLC_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20150124Z1_RTLC&et_cid=DM65560&et_rid=817573995

I haven't had the flu since I was in high school. I got the flu shot when my son was an infant, thinking "I'd protect him by protecting me". Sure enough, 2 days later, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Not the flu, but I was literally NEVER sick, had the shot, and within 48 hours was using a nebulizer for the next 2 weeks. Needless to say, I've never gotten another flu shot. I eat 3 squares, engage in cardio exercise daily, and lead a happy life. My lifestyle predispositions me for health, not sickness. I'll get the flu shot if I ever get the flu again. 20+ years strong, knock on wood!

Same thing happened to me. My son was born at the end of August, we all got flu shots and me, my wife, my son, my mom and my dad all got the flu. Never again.

My daughter is just recovering from a bout with flu. She had a shot in Oct/Nov. I suspect that the shot helped her a little bit since the flu itself wasn't too hard on her. She did end up with ear and sinus infections however as an after-effect and we have had to change antibiotics because the first script didn't cut it.

I am in the minority for sure, but unless you're elderly and in poor health, not a single person should ever get a flu shot.

I've received one flu shot in my life and it damn near killed me. I was a healthy guy when I received it and I got one because everyone said it was something really good to get.

That shot gave me a highly aggressive form of Guillian Barre Syndrome (GBS) and it's chronic cousin (CIDP) and I suffered considerable paralysis. I was in serious trouble as the paralysis was moving inwards towards my vital organs like my lungs. While I was able to stave off the attack I've been able to walk again and regain most of my function, I have permanent nerve damage in my feet and hands and 15 years after the attack and countless terrible medicines and chemicals, I can tell you...you're never the same person, physically. I now have an immune system that's too strong for my body. I spend my days keeping it suppressed because if there isn't a bug to kill, it starts attacking itself like a bored cat. Obviously there's consequences to taking all those chemicals. If you like the head of hair you have, you don't have it, for example. :flirt:

Tinkering with your immune system is akin to tinkering with the frame of your car. You mess it up and it's never the same.

Unless you're elderly or already have a compromised immune system, just be sick for a week. It's just not worth the risk. You can spend a week of PTO with the flu or years of PTO in physical therapy, endless infusions, pill popping and doctor visits.

That's been my argument for years. My son was born with a very serious congenital heart defect - he essentially has half a heart. He has all of his shots and the entire family gets flu shots every year because any illness my son gets could be very serious or fatal to him. That same son has been barred from bringing any peanut product, including his beloved PB sandwich, to school because classmates have peanut allergies. I'm not happy about the peanut ban, but if our abstaining from peanuts helps your kid stay healthy it's what we do - we don't have a choice about it because peanuts are banned, but I'm OK with it given the benefit it serves for somebody else's kid. By the same token, why does my son not get the same respect? Somebody can elect to send their kid in who hasn't been vaccinated and potentially get my kid sick because they believe some new-age mumbo jumbo about "toxins" or so somebody who's sister's cousin's midwife has a kid on the spectrum and swears it was due to a vaccination they got - I don't get it. In my book, if you don't want to vaccinate your kid they should be in their own classes at school or be home schooled. I don't look at Mississippi as a model for many things, but as a state they have the highest school vaccination rate because the only kids allowed to attend that are unvaccinated have to have a medical reason (I get that not everybody can get vaccinated - that's why a 95% rate for herd immunity is so important).

This topic gets me so fired up - anti-vaxxers think they live in a vacuum where their actions don't impact anyone else and they're dead wrong about that - it's a selfish point of view. We all have to do our part, whether that means leaving peanuts at home or getting our shots - if you don't like it, go start your own colony on some island somewhere.

well, if you didn't get vaccinated for measles, you might not be allowed in disneyland: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/22/379072061/disneyland-measles-outbreak-hits-59-cases-and-counting

the arguments against vaccination are weak and selfish. the benefits greatly outweight the risks.

well, if you didn't get vaccinated for measles, you might not be allowed in disneyland: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/22/379072061/disneyland-measles-outbreak-hits-59-cases-and-counting

the arguments against vaccination are weak and selfish. the benefits greatly outweight the risks.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the seasonal flu vaccine belongs in a different category than vaccines for measles, polio, small pox, etc. Two different conversations that are being lumped into one.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the seasonal flu vaccine belongs in a different category than vaccines for measles, polio, small pox, etc. Two different conversations that are being lumped into one.

don't agree. they are related by the fact that they are all public health issues, are all largely preventable diseases and are all potentially lethal.

don't agree. they are related by the fact that they are all public health issues, are all largely preventable diseases and are all potentially lethal.

I agree with birdog - it's a public health issue whereby you get vaccinated not only for yourself, but for the benefit of those in society who cannot and to protect those more vulnerable - to these people the flu can kill just as easily as polio or whopping cough but people don't know it because they've never seen anyone die from it. Influenza is actually one of the greatest killers of mankind throughout history, but we think of it as something that'll keep you out of work for a few days.

Edited by The Avenger

That's been my argument for years. My son was born with a very serious congenital heart defect - he essentially has half a heart. He has all of his shots and the entire family gets flu shots every year because any illness my son gets could be very serious or fatal to him. That same son has been barred from bringing any peanut product, including his beloved PB sandwich, to school because classmates have peanut allergies. I'm not happy about the peanut ban, but if our abstaining from peanuts helps your kid stay healthy it's what we do - we don't have a choice about it because peanuts are banned, but I'm OK with it given the benefit it serves for somebody else's kid. By the same token, why does my son not get the same respect? Somebody can elect to send their kid in who hasn't been vaccinated and potentially get my kid sick because they believe some new-age mumbo jumbo about "toxins" or so somebody who's sister's cousin's midwife has a kid on the spectrum and swears it was due to a vaccination they got - I don't get it. In my book, if you don't want to vaccinate your kid they should be in their own classes at school or be home schooled. I don't look at Mississippi as a model for many things, but as a state they have the highest school vaccination rate because the only kids allowed to attend that are unvaccinated have to have a medical reason (I get that not everybody can get vaccinated - that's why a 95% rate for herd immunity is so important).

This topic gets me so fired up - anti-vaxxers think they live in a vacuum where their actions don't impact anyone else and they're dead wrong about that - it's a selfish point of view. We all have to do our part, whether that means leaving peanuts at home or getting our shots - if you don't like it, go start your own colony on some island somewhere.

My daughter is a very picky eater. I told the school to go pound sand when they told me not to send PB&J in her lunch. I only had to tell them once.