Marrone said they will look at everything to get running game going...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be done with him but the players, on the other hand, are paid to do a job. First the WRs were dogging it and showing bad body language with EJ at QB. Now, they are going to pout against the coaches (not saying this is true as it is pure speculation). But whatever the case, the players are in no business to choose a QB or coaches. I really don't care how they feel inside. They are paid to be the best they can be on every snap. Thats what they have to do. No ifs, ands or buts.

this. If they want to run the show, they can go to the NBA.

I'm down with giving Brown and FJax a split in carries this week. CJ isn't the only problem, and he can be good... he just needs to be in a certain offense, and this is definitely not it. Maybe Brown, FJax, and Boobie can pound away and get us consistent positive yardage.

If you can't make this work, you suck as a coach. https://www.youtube....IldpoY5kkk But let's keep running him up the middle and not give him screens.

It's funny for all the Brown love, Philly had no problem moving him and poking around about Spiller. Right now, I'll trust Chip Kelly's judgment on rbs over the Bills.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

If this is true, I guess it's better than not seeing the holes but it's still troubling. I haven't given up on him yet and really hope that if overthinking is the problem that he can fix it. We'll see.

“Just trusting what my eyes see and not overthinking,” Spiller said, via the Buffalo News. “That’s been the biggest thing on my end, just overthinking it too much instead of going back to that little kid in the backyard, playing with his friends and having fun. I put so much pressure on it. It has nothing to do with this being the final year of my contract, it’s just overthinking and trying to make that play when I should have just taken what they’re giving us … and kept us out of the negative plays.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/16/c-j-spiller-on-struggles-im-overthinking-but-not-about-contract/

If this is true, I guess it's better than not seeing the holes but it's still troubling. I haven't given up on him yet and really hope that if overthinking is the problem that he can fix it. We'll see.

"Just trusting what my eyes see and not overthinking," Spiller said, via the Buffalo News. "That's been the biggest thing on my end, just overthinking it too much instead of going back to that little kid in the backyard, playing with his friends and having fun. I put so much pressure on it. It has nothing to do with this being the final year of my contract, it's just overthinking and trying to make that play when I should have just taken what they're giving us … and kept us out of the negative plays."

http://profootballta...about-contract/

I really don't get how you can overthink a running play. The play is designed to run to a specific gap. How can you overthink "I need to run there when I get the ball"? When you watch FJ or even Dixon running they run straight into the line whether there is a hole or not and push for 2-3 yards. CJ looks like he sees there is no hole and decides to run sideways every time.

I think that might be his problem, he knows he can hit a home run anytime he touches the ball but tries to EVERY time he touches the ball. He just needs to take what is given.

Edited by The Wiz

1. Play Urbik to RG

2. Deactivate Lee Smith

3. Move Pears into Smith's blocking TE/penalty collector role

4. Activate Bryce Brown

5. Play Dixon in the role CJ is playing when they run into the line.

6. Play Fred like they did against Lions and spell him with Brown

6. Use CJ as decoy/gadget/screen/sweep type role ONLY and KOR

Looks good to me

To be fair, the type of runner CJ is, that's what he needs to do, he needs to explore whatever hole is there, there's just not any holes. Fred and Boobie need to just pound it straight forward.

CJ would work with a scheme that opens up lanes, gets him the ball in space (screens, passes, etc), and has good second level blocking.

This is not that scheme, and therefore, he doesn't work. He doesn't belong on this team with the current scheme. Either the scheme needs to change, or we need to use a different running back.

To be fair, the type of runner CJ is, that's what he needs to do, he needs to explore whatever hole is there, there's just not any holes. Fred and Boobie need to just pound it straight forward.

CJ would work with a scheme that opens up lanes, gets him the ball in space (screens, passes, etc), and has good second level blocking.

This is not that scheme, and therefore, he doesn't work. He doesn't belong on this team with the current scheme. Either the scheme needs to change, or we need to use a different running back.

We are stuck in a classic case of the coaching staff forcing the players to fit their system rather than tweaking the way they do things to suit the talent......eg...Don Shula ran a power running attack when he had Csonka, when he had Dan Marino he didn't run the wishbone, he adjusted! It may be nice to try and acquire players to fit your scheme, but it doesn't usually work perfectly.

I believe Marrone doesn't want to bench Pears because he, then, would feel obligated to give him his old job back as a RT and doesn't want to because he knows Henderson is the guy at RT looking forward.

Don't know if that makes sense.

This doesn't make sense to me. Benching a player at one position is NOT an obligation to play him at his former position.

If you can't make this work, you suck as a coach. https://www.youtube....IldpoY5kkk But let's keep running him up the middle and not give him screens.

It's funny for all the Brown love, Philly had no problem moving him and poking around about Spiller. Right now, I'll trust Chip Kelly's judgment on rbs over the Bills.

Hilarious that you even posted the bold, did you watch the video? He runs between the tackles and up the middle on just about EVERY single run. The long run against KC, was right up the middle. The TD against Arizona, right up the middle. The long run against the Jest, off tackle. 80-yard draw play, up the middle against the Dolphins. There isn't anything exotic about the play calls in that video, sweeps or tosses or trick run plays. Yea, there's screens but the OL has shown it can't block screens for crap. But they have opened holes for CJ, HE JUST DOESN'T RUN THROUGH THEM he wants to bounce it outside or doesn't see the creases.

Please, go back and watch the video.

Marrone/Hackett couldn't score with Elway, Rice, Sanders, Gonzalez, Andre and Megatron as their skill players. Is it any wonder they can't utilize what that film clearly shows Spiller can do?

Hilarious that you even posted the bold, did you watch the video? He runs between the tackles and up the middle on just about EVERY single run. The long run against KC, was right up the middle. The TD against Arizona, right up the middle. The long run against the Jest, off tackle. 80-yard draw play, up the middle against the Dolphins. There isn't anything exotic about the play calls in that video, sweeps or tosses or trick run plays. Yea, there's screens but the OL has shown it can't block screens for crap. But they have opened holes for CJ, HE JUST DOESN'T RUN THROUGH THEM he wants to bounce it outside or doesn't see the creases.

Please, go back and watch the video.

The other thing I noticed in that video that I haven't seen much of this year is the OLmen being 2-3 yards past he line of scrimmage and holes all around the place. That and the downfield blocking on the screen passes. The one against the Jets I think Urbik or Pears were about 20 yards down field by the time CJ caught up to them.

The other thing I noticed in that video that I haven't seen much of this year is the OLmen being 2-3 yards past he line of scrimmage and holes all around the place. That and the downfield blocking on the screen passes. The one against the Jets I think Urbik or Pears were about 20 yards down field by the time CJ caught up to them.

A lot of those runs were out of the spread. The linemen in this scheme can't get to the second level because with Hackett going two tight end, fullback, or bunch formations, it brings a lot of defenders into the box. The Bills also seem to be doing a lot of zone blocking as well.

A lot of those runs were out of the spread. The linemen in this scheme can't get to the second level because with Hackett going two tight end, fullback, or bunch formations, it brings a lot of defenders into the box. The Bills also seem to be doing a lot of zone blocking as well.

So hackett wants to run the ball, but is lining up in a formation that puts more defenders in the running lanes...

Why do I picture Darth Vader standing in the ocean filling up a brita container.

So hackett wants to run the ball, but is lining up in a formation that puts more defenders in the running lanes...

Why do I picture Darth Vader standing in the ocean filling up a brita container.

Marrone/Hackett wants this team to be the team who can run the football effectively, even when they know you're running. They want the Bills to be the team who gets 3rd and short more often than not.

None of those things happened with CJ's scheme. This is just a matter of philosophy.

Besides, CJ is the biggest reason he isn't playing well.

Edited by FireChan

Haha. Why play to the player's strengths when you have such an explosive offensive system like Syracuse had? Watkins is good at screens? We're not throwing them. Spiller is good in space? Let's run him up the middle. Mike Williams is good in the redzone? Let's not throw it to him.

This offense is maddening.

maybe he can keep a RB in for a full series of downs instead of switching every down?

That's an underrated point. A lot of rbs need carries to get into a rhythm. Constantly switching rbs every play doesn't do that.

Also, why you can't play SPiller and Jackson together more is beyond me. But why would you want to get more playmakers on the field?

We are stuck in a classic case of the coaching staff forcing the players to fit their system rather than tweaking the way they do things to suit the talent......eg...Don Shula ran a power running attack when he had Csonka, when he had Dan Marino he didn't run the wishbone, he adjusted! It may be nice to try and acquire players to fit your scheme, but it doesn't usually work perfectly.

I'm not sure that using essentially the same running play 20 of 23 times in a game can be classified as a "scheme".

I mean, even Don Shula ran Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris outside.

Watching Hackett call a running game reminds me of an old Happy Days episode I saw as a kid. Ritchie and Potzi's band played a frat party but could only play one song. Potzi couldn't figure out why everyone was leaving.

Hackett = Potzi.

That's an underrated point. A lot of rbs need carries to get into a rhythm. Constantly switching rbs every play doesn't do that.

Also, why you can't play SPiller and Jackson together more is beyond me. But why would you want to get more playmakers on the field?

Don't feel bad, give it a few years. The next offensive genius to come in, probably a quality control assistant at Sweet Home High School, will move Watkins to tight end, just as he's coming in to his own as a WR.

And the comments will go like this:

-You know, he's really not a very good blocker;

-He really can't get off the line with a LB in his face;

-I know he's not big by typical TE standards, but still, you should be able to block a LB or DE if you're a TE;

-we're really getting killed on the edge by DE's and LB's...we really need someone who can block;

-In this scheme, we really need a TE who can block, and we're not getting it from him, he just doesn't fit what we're trying to do;

-I wonder if we can get a 5th rounder for him, I mean, he's proving pretty worthless as a TE...can't block and can't get off the line, I don't know who'd want him.

Marrone also said he was going to hire coordinators with thorough NFL experience and then hired Hackett the very next day whose highest coaching title in the NFL was Offensive Quality Control.

Marrone likes to talk a big game but he really has no clue what to do.

The pathetic part is that we don't study and watch film for a living and we could probably be doing a better job. Sad.

This is comical. Certainly Marrone and Hacket open themselves to criticism. But none of us know half of what you need to know to be a successful OC in the NFL.

It's often true that outsiders think they can do some job better than the insiders. It's rarely true.

The question isn't whether Hackett knows the OC better job better than the average fan. He does. The question is can he do it better than the 31 other OCs in the NFL. He can't. At least not yet.

Edited by hondo in seattle