Marrone said they will look at everything to get running game going...

This is comical. Certainly Marrone and Hacket open themselves to criticism. But none of us know half of what you need to know to be a successful OC in the NFL.

It's often true that outsiders think they can do some job better than the insiders. It's rarely true.

The question isn't whether Hackett knows the OC better job better than the average fan. He does. The question is can he do it better than the 31 other OCs in the NFL. He can't. At least not yet.

While I agree in general, sometimes the coach is too close to things to see what's wrong, or too stubborn to change his approach. I don't think posters here think they can step in and do the job better, but that they can see what is not working, and question why the OC isn't making changes.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Play Urbik to RG

2. Deactivate Lee Smith

3. Move Pears into Smith's blocking TE/penalty collector role

4. Activate Bryce Brown

5. Play Dixon in the role CJ is playing when they run into the line.

6. Play Fred like they did against Lions and spell him with Brown

6. Use CJ as decoy/gadget/screen/sweep type role ONLY and KOR

+ 1

Q: Whats the deal with Pears anyhow, possibly the worst O lineman a 3rd year running?

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/2013/

Found this article on Buffalo Rumbulling and thought it was interesting given the topic:

http://www.buffaloru...lity-in-buffalo

Before Marrone and Hackett took over, the Bills' offensive line and the run game was one of the strengths of the offense. The line only gave up 30 sacks in 2012, and C.J. Spiller had a career year in which he rushed for 1,244 yards, averaging six yards per carry. If there was ever a unit or a phase in the game that we could count on, it was the offensive line and the run game. Marrone and Hackett couldn't make things worse, could they? Hackett even promised to run Spiller until he threw up.

Bills quarterbacks were sacked 58 times last season (the fourth-highest figure in the league), and Spiller was hurt throughout the season, because Marrone and Hackett thought it was a good idea to use their Ferrari like a F-150, doing the dirty work and hauling waste instead of speeding on the open road. They also thought that it was a good idea to implement a zone blocking scheme with mammoth lineman.

Time to test your football knowledge again: what type of linemen should be used for a zone blocking scheme? You guessed it: smaller, agile linemen. Why do they think it's a good idea to have our rather huge and cumbersome linemen pulling and getting out on screens? It's no wonder why the Bills failed so miserably in the run and screen game last season.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I have to wonder if they are worried that Eric Wood will go down and have nobody to adequately replace him if they start Urbik at RG. Pears or Urbik we are talking about players who should be backups.

Going on two years now to replace Levitre, and Chris Williams wasn't the answer either.

I have to question this Nix type idea of size is better, so lets bring in anyone over 6'5'' 325 lbs. Then they can't seem to get enough push in the run game even having a 30 lb advantage. I'd rather see more athletic players in there that can block on the line or twenty yards down field. Those porkers should be able to move that LoS five yards.

Lastly, I can recall Mike Holmgren running a RB practice toss sweep play, and he must have had them run it 30 times until they got it right three times in a row. I don't watch Bills practices but I gotta wonder if this coaching staff makes them work until they get it right (doubtful), or as a "players coach" its always a light walkthru. I really have to question this coaching staff, and their ability to get that O line working.

Lynch gets great holes to run through from the Seahawks O-line and it is one of the lightest in the league.

I share your concerns regarding this coaching staffs ability to shore up the run blocking.

If Marrone as a reputed O-line guru can't do that I begin to wonder if he can do anything.

The question isn't whether Hackett knows the OC better job better than the average fan. He does. The question is can he do it better than the 31 other OCs in the NFL. He can't. At least not yet.

I agree he is #1 OC - that is what "can he do it better than the 31 other OCs in the NFL" means.

I do NOT know if he is worst OC, lots of fans of teams think their OC is worst.