Would ya? - Ebola Edition

/dev/null

I was pretty put off by the initial reporting from the CDC that essentially "blamed" her for getting the disease. I wish her well.

Except that to get infected, she must have erred somewhere along the line. So it is her "fault."

But it's not any sort of gross negligence, either...the level of attention to detail required in an isolation unit, treating an Ebola patient, is roughly similar to that of a test pilot. (I posted about this on the "Nazi" board, so you won't see it.) You have to be on the ball, all the time, and a slight mistake or momentary lapse of attention can get you infected. The CDC's failure was in being so ham-handed in presenting that.

I think there's a lot more to the protocols than the hubristic claims of hospital administrators and the CDC want to admit. They act like every "healthcare worker" and all the staff at each installation are fully trained. They're not.

Just because they've play acted at wearing containment suits and watched a movie and sat through a PowerPoint presentation or two doesn't mean they're proficient at handling the danger. All it takes is for one little slip up and they're a walking Petrie dish.

I was pretty put off by the initial reporting from the CDC that essentially "blamed" her for getting the disease. I wish her well.

We went into this on PPP. It was the exact opposite w/me. Why were people "put off?" The CDC wasn't blaming anybody... What is wrong with people!

Anyway, I was wondering when some would ask the "would ya" question.

I think there's a lot more to the protocols than the hubristic claims of hospital administrators and the CDC want to admit. They act like every "healthcare worker" and all the staff at each installation are fully trained. They're not.

Just because they've play acted at wearing containment suits and watched a movie and sat through a PowerPoint presentation or two doesn't mean they're proficient at handling the danger. All it takes is for one little slip up and they're a walking Petrie dish.

Bingo! Welcome to the real world!

Except that to get infected, she must have erred somewhere along the line. So it is her "fault."

But it's not any sort of gross negligence, either...the level of attention to detail required in an isolation unit, treating an Ebola patient, is roughly similar to that of a test pilot. (I posted about this on the "Nazi" board, so you won't see it.) You have to be on the ball, all the time, and a slight mistake or momentary lapse of attention can get you infected. The CDC's failure was in being so ham-handed in presenting that.

:thumbsup:

I find it truly disgusting that you would even post this and ask for response. The young woman was doing her job which was dangerous and difficult. She has a disease that can kill her and you call for people to view her in a highly sexualized way? Just sad.

I know "would ya" is a bit of a twisted tradition here. One that I don't agree with most especially in this situation. What if this woman was your daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, girlfriend or wife? She is fighting for her life.

So now we hear a 2nd nurse that worked on that Ebola victim in Dallas has the disease AND she flew on a plane from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she was diagnosed. Ugh.

Ok, so while the other healthcare workers (including this 2nd person) were being monitored for Ebola symptoms she was allowed to fly in an airplane?!?? why?? this is so stupid. I figured anyone who had anything to do with treating that victim in Dallas was on some sort of 3 week quarantine to make sure they don't come down with the disease. the people in charge of keeping America safe are making rules on the fly. No one really knows how to contain this thing.

So now we hear a 2nd nurse that worked on that Ebola victim in Dallas has the disease AND she flew on a plane from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she was diagnosed. Ugh.

Ok, so while the other healthcare workers (including this 2nd person) were being monitored for Ebola symptoms she was allowed to fly in an airplane?!?? why?? this is so stupid. I figured anyone who had anything to do with treating that victim in Dallas was on some sort of 3 week quarantine to make sure they don't come down with the disease. the people in charge of keeping America safe are making rules on the fly. No one really knows how to contain this thing.

Is she hot?

Because we don't restrict people's travel in this country because they might be sick.

If you want to criticize anyone, criticize her for being irresponsible in choosing to fly. It was her decision, no one else's, and as a health care professional, she ought to have known better.

Because we don't restrict people's travel in this country because they might be sick.

If you want to criticize anyone, criticize her for being irresponsible in choosing to fly. It was her decision, no one else's, and as a health care professional, she ought to have known better.

We wouldn't want to offend anyone by not letting them fly here. We can just criticize the millions of dead people lying in the streets once they die.

If the protocols are not stopping the spread they are either insufficient protocols, they are being taught poorly, or the wrong people are being selected for the jobs requiring them.

You know when you won't care which of the above is the reason for the disease spreading?

When you're puking blood halfway across the room, that's when.

She helped clean up the dying persons vomit and diarreah for 2 days before the CDC came in to assist that hospital. I will certainly blame her for traveling but i also wanna know if some CDC official ever told her face to face NOT to travel by plane, train, bus, etc.. while she was being monitored for exposure. If they did not tell her that in a serious manner then some protocol was seriously F-ed up.

lol...

"Altruism declares that any action taken for the benefit of others is good, and any action taken for one's own benefit is evil. Thus the beneficiary of an action is the only criterion of moral value – and so long as that beneficiary is anybody than oneself, anything goes."

Hey... She wanted to fly to Cleveland. Leave her alone!

:-/

She helped clean up the dying persons vomit and diarreah for 2 days before the CDC came in to assist that hospital. I will certainly blame her for traveling but i also wanna know if some CDC official ever told her face to face NOT to travel by plane, train, bus, etc.. while she was being monitored for exposure. If they did not tell her that in a serious manner then some protocol was seriously F-ed up.

So should she be prevented from flying when not sick, or simply told sternly not to fly when not sick?

You'd be doing better with your righteous indignation if you contrasted this to Nancy Snyderman's situation. But then, that would require being actually knowledgeable about the subject, and not just righteously indignant.