Hackett not properly using Spiller & Jackson

IMO, the problems the Bills have on offense can be laid squarely on Hackett's shoulders. His play calling is way too conservative as he tries to run the ball early and often and doesn't start calling for more pass plays until the 2nd half when the Bills are down by 10 points or more. What's even more frustrating is that he does not use the RB's in pass plays, unless it's dump offs or screens. Chan Gailey had Spiller and Jackson lined up everywhere on the field and used them effectively in the passing game. Spiller is the type of RB that needs to get in open space to be effective and he should be used in the slot and on deep passes (which Gailey used to do). Even the last Bills win against the Patriots, Gailey had Jackson in the slot and Freddie took the ball over 50 yards down to the 1/2 yard line, setting up the game winning FG. I know the Bills are having a very hard time running the ball because the Guards are ineffective, but Hackett should use the RB's much more in the passing game. I think Marrone should fire Hackett in the offseason and bring in an experienced OC.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think Hackett is trying to force a square peg into a round hole with Spiller and hes not budging. You either need to drill a square hole or find a new peg, preferably a round one but either way something needs to change. Hackett, keeps running him up the middle (which Spiller is bad at) and Spiller tries to bounce outside (which he is bad at but thinks hes good at) and we end up with negative yards. Both Spiller and Hackett are inept in my opinion. I have come to terms with the fact that Spillers ceiling is Darren Sproles, which admittedly is a high ceiling if he is utilized properly but he is not a reliable every down back. He needs schemes and he will be a good total yardage from scrimmage guy but not a great running back.

I really think we should get Spiller out wide more but Hacketss refuses to. The first play from yesterday (maybe it wasnt the first play) was a fake sweep to Watkins and CJ broke it for a good chuck, WHY DONT WE DO STUFF LIKE THAT MORE OFTEN????? **

**OK I just rewatched it and it was on our second possession but still CJ got 5 yards which is a descent chunk compared to what he usually gets, and he lowered his shoulder at a guy which he never does. If he happened to beat that guy somehow then there was tons of space which could happen if it was tried again. Needless to say it was a good play and stuff like that should be tried more often

Edited by jletha

It is a passing league and there are more threads about Spiller and Jackson than Watkins and Woods

I think all of us know it is a passing league except Marrone and Hackett. It's pretty sad that it's been 22 years since the Bills had a TE that had 100+ yards in one game, while since that time, TE's in the league have had 100+ yards receiving over 260 times.

I think all of us know it is a passing league except Marrone and Hackett. It's pretty sad that it's been 22 years since the Bills had a TE that had 100+ yards in one game, while since that time, TE's in the league have had 100+ yards receiving over 260 times.

Totally agree. But obvioulsy that is more than just Marrone and Hackett. Outside of six months of Dew Bledsoe the offense has been putrid for a decade and a half. That is hard to do.

My issue with the whole thing is we seem to be FORCING THE ISSUE when it comes to the between the tackles running

its like "just keep doing it....give it time....and eventually it will work"

Well....no it wont because we dont have the right personell to force it to work

There is some merit in that approach. If you can beat down the other team, the gains will be longer in the fourth quarter. I just don't see running anywhere near Vince Wilfork or his wife as a good idea.

My issue with the whole thing is we seem to be FORCING THE ISSUE when it comes to the between the tackles running

its like "just keep doing it....give it time....and eventually it will work"

Well....no it wont because we dont have the right personell to force it to work

And while I'm all for tailoring your the scheme to your talent, the ask in this case shouldn't be as tall of an order as CJ makes it seem.

Why are Bills fans letting him off the hook as if the run between the tackles is such an exotic concept?

I think the fact that Hackett keeps doing the same things that aren't working again and again and again makes it painfully obvious that he just doesn't have the football knowledge needed to coach at this level. What kind of idiot keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

His coaching style is broken and he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to know how to fix it. Dude is a bust. He sucks. Get him out.

I think the fact that Hackett keeps doing the same things that aren't working again and again and again makes it painfully obvious that he just doesn't have the football knowledge needed to coach at this level. What kind of idiot keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

His coaching style is broken and he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to know how to fix it. Dude is a bust. He sucks. Get him out.

Yes if a pro running back doesn't have it in him do something as BASIC as run between the tackles it's the OC's fault.

How is it that Bills fans can't understand the disconnect between railing on the "Pop Warner" scheme and giving the players' a pass for being unable to execute it?

Yes if a pro running back doesn't have it in him do something as BASIC as run between the tackles it's the OC's fault.

How is it that Bills fans can't understand the disconnect between railing on the "Pop Warner" scheme and giving the players' a pass for being unable to execute it?

Pick a back that is on this squad and keep running the same plays. Maybe a different back gets an extra yard maybe 2. The result is basically the same.

Only an idiot would keep running those plays again and again and again.

If you are making a case that the RB is the problem fine, but what kind of idiot coach keeps giving him the ball in situations he isn't going to succeed in? Face it. Hackett sucks.

Let's put it another way....

If your eight year old son kept touching hot pans on the stove again and again and again like 2 minutes apart and burned his hand every time, you would take him to a doctor for psychological evaluation. You would think maybe your kid is mentally handicapped or something,

Why does Hackett keep touching the hot friggin pan the first play of every game and then retouching it again and again and again as the game goes on?

And while I'm all for tailoring your the scheme to your talent, the ask in this case shouldn't be as tall of an order as CJ makes it seem.

Why are Bills fans letting him off the hook as if the run between the tackles is such an exotic concept?

Finally! Thank you.