A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

It might interest you to know that I heard Marrone say on Sirius Radio that it was HE who called Schwartz to ask him if he was interested in the job. He also said that he named the talented players on the roster as a selling point.

No hidden message above. I however was a bit surprised.

It really is odd that Marrone replaced Pettine and his philosophicl approach to defense with Schwartz and his opposite approach to defense. When you have success and the players to match the philosophy and change it in the opposite direction then the thinking behind it is difficlt to grasp. The loss of Pettine as a DC was a major loss to the team. It's not just about the particular defense; it is a loss of creativity and flexibility towards the game that is very much missed.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching from the stands, it's incredible how often he just misses a hole. I think he expects to see a gaping crevasse in the defense--that's not how it works in the NFL. You look for creases between the big bodies, hit it up there, and get your 3-5 yards. If you do that twice, you're in 3rd and manageable; that's how the chains get moved.

Spiller just can't do that right now, and it's time they stopped asking him to.

on that run it looks like he expected the wr to block the db and not crash effectively into the lb/safety/whoever was stepping up to potentially fill it unblocked. he bounced, the block set and then he ran into the unblocked db outside.

ive got to guess that the wr was supposed to get that block (and he did) - but when he cut what he saw seems to be a guy coming in untouched to hit him.

It really is odd that Marrone replaced Pettine and his philosophicl approach to defense with Schwartz and his opposite approach to defense. When you have success and the players to match the philosophy and change it in the opposite direction then the thinking behind it is difficlt to grasp. The loss of Pettine as a DC was a major loss to the team. It's not just about the particular defense; it is a loss of creativity and flexibility towards the game that is very much missed.

it is an interesting choice but im not sure there were more qualified candidates come february, so they went with the guy that was A) available B) proven effective C) personally known -- instead of taking a big risk AND relying on another team to grant an interview.

schwartz has played out pretty predictably schematically. and thats had decent results on the field. about what our expectations should have been from the get go. he has a very long resume, so any big shifts wouldve been pretty surprising.

It will be interesting to see the Bills-Browns game in November to gauge where both teams and coaches are. The Browns are 3-2 now after embarrassing the Stillers yesterday.

Not sure I agree with that part--they ran 3 screens yesterday, and all 3 were blown up well before the RB got the ball. NE has, for a very long time, been a tough team to screen against.

Also, the majority of Spiller's runs are draws.

The majority of his runs are inside runs (opening a few holes for him would help) but his failed propensity to attempt to get around the corner is maddening. You need to throw to him in the open field. That's where he'd be at his best. Why they don't do it more often is puzzling.

it is an interesting choice but im not sure there were more qualified candidates come february, so they went with the guy that was A) available B) proven effective C) personally known -- instead of taking a big risk AND relying on another team to grant an interview.

schwartz has played out pretty predictably schematically. and thats had decent results on the field. about what our expectations should have been from the get go. he has a very long resume, so any big shifts wouldve been pretty surprising.

I totally agree with this. Given the situation (Pettine leaving for a HC job), Schwartz was the best available choice with a proven resume. With sophomore HC and OC, the team could ill afford another inexperienced coordinator. On balance, I am not entirely displeased with what I have seen so far (I still have to sort out yesterday's disaster).

However, I will add that the script repeats year after year - the O just cannot pull its own weight and puts the D on the ... ahem... defensive. If the O kept the game close or take the lead early in the game, it allows the D to be a tad more agressive and creative. Given that the O is inconsistent and so often do a poor job, the D has to play conservatively.

on that run it looks like he expected the wr to block the db and not crash effectively into the lb/safety/whoever was stepping up to potentially fill it unblocked. he bounced, the block set and then he ran into the unblocked db outside.

ive got to guess that the wr was supposed to get that block (and he did) - but when he cut what he saw seems to be a guy coming in untouched to hit him.

I agree and I have to assume he's been told to hit it up in there anyway and make the move in the hole. Which he doesn't do which is why he's not going to be resigned if this staff is in place next year.

I agree and I have to assume he's been told to hit it up in there anyway and make the move in the hole. Which he doesn't do which is why he's not going to be resigned if this staff is in place next year.

When CJ was drafted I hated the pick as the Bills needed help in other areas. But, Gailey wanted Spiller as his "waterbug" type RB, and from his days at Georgia Tech as he was amazed at the way Clemson utilized Spiller. I think Gailey thought he was a getting a smart, versatile RB. Then when he gave him the start in 2010 in the opener he saw that Spiller couldn't pass protect, run or pass block, or run a WR route tree. Then promptly benched him after 5 plays and sent in Fredex with a cast on his hand. Why Gailey didn't know his new RB was so limited comes back to simply bad coaching.

CJ IS a big play, "situational" RB to be utilized in a limited role. There is a real reason as to why Eagles HC Chip Kelly tried to trade for him. He is not an every down, pound it up the middle back (and neither is Freddy). This Bills coaching staff fails to comprehend this, and Hackett is so freaking lame in that he saw Spiller do great things for Gailey with draw plays. So now he is copying the draw play, and not the formation or the blocking. How do you go into film study after a game, and not see whats not working, and then come out and try and run the same play that doesn't work over, and over, and it didn't work last year either? Answer, bad coaching!

Gailey didn't know how to utilize Lynch, and wanted to have his "waterbug" be the feature back. So Nix sent Marshawn packing. Now Hackett wants a Marshawn Lynch type to pound it up the middle, so the team will send Spiller packing.

Two first round picks for Sammy Watkins, and he sees the ball 3x times all game, really? really? Two catches all game, and no other involvement for the teams newest, shiniest offensive toy. Then WR Mike Williams inactive so the team could play a scrub TE? Oh yea, great offensive minds on this coaching staff.. :sick:

I yearn for a real NFL offensive coordinator that knows how to properly utilize his players, and setup an offense.

Thanks Bills for posting. I especially agree with points 9 & 10. Many good observations have been posted already about those 2 points. Here's some of mine. Overall, the D gave Brady WAY too much time to scan & throw on WAY too attempts. Gotta put pressure on him early, and often. The Bills O is NOT explosive at all. They're terminally slow starting games too. What to do? Especially when the D or Spec. Teams gets a turnover, Offense should go right into hurry up on a quick count and throw deep. Try to score right on the first play. When they (offense) are on the sidelines, have 2 plays already planned to go. The O-line doest not have the push up the middle for a good enough running game. So make short/medium passed to both CJ & Fred as your "running game. Spread the offense & get those guy out into space. A final thing. The day after the Detroit win, Hackett & Sammy have a long one to one film session studying Stevie's games against Revis. If Stevie can beat Revis, Sammy CERTAINLY has the talent to do it too. Thanks again Bill. And Go Bills! Move on to the Viking game.

The dumping on Spiller is not productive or correct. Out of 66 offensive plays, he was on the field for 12. Hackett does not know how to utilize his speed or talents like others coaches do for Reggie Bush. He is not a good between the tackles runner. The interior offensive line can not run block and the OTs have problems pass blocking speed rushers. Hackett has not designed an offense to exploit the talents of this team. Schwartz kept the defense vanilla and made few if any changes. The result was 300 yards of NE offense in the second half. This team has a good core of talent but changes are needed. Next 2 games before the bye week will indicate which direction the Bills are heading.

- . Every time the Bills seem to gather momentum, out came a flag. I am not saying the outcome of the game would have changed for sure but momentum means a lot in football. Also, strategy on both sides of the ball changes depending on the score and flow of the game. Who knows how things would have turned out if the Bills had scored in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Brady doesn't need help in dissecting the Bills secondary. All I ask is to let the Bills have a level playing field.

- The above calls and turnovers are what killed us IMHO. We can point to the D, justifiably for their second half performance. However, the turnovers just made the outcome inevitable.

Old MO...I was satisfied with the 1st half until we got what should have been the last possession. Take a knee and go in the locker with a 10-7 game. Then my nightmare comes true and we have to try and run a play. That turnover and ensuing 3 points cost us MO. Patriots then come out and add some more points to their 13-7 lead to start the 2nd half. Bye, bye MO.

Edited by Uncle Joe

When CJ was drafted I hated the pick as the Bills needed help in other areas. But, Gailey wanted Spiller as his "waterbug" type RB, and from his days at Georgia Tech as he was amazed at the way Clemson utilized Spiller. I think Gailey thought he was a getting a smart, versatile RB. Then when he gave him the start in 2010 in the opener he saw that Spiller couldn't pass protect, run or pass block, or run a WR route tree. Then promptly benched him after 5 plays and sent in Fredex with a cast on his hand. Why Gailey didn't know his new RB was so limited comes back to simply bad coaching.

CJ IS a big play, "situational" RB to be utilized in a limited role. There is a real reason as to why Eagles HC Chip Kelly tried to trade for him. He is not an every down, pound it up the middle back (and neither is Freddy). This Bills coaching staff fails to comprehend this, and Hackett is so freaking lame in that he saw Spiller do great things for Gailey with draw plays. So now he is copying the draw play, and not the formation or the blocking. How do you go into film study after a game, and not see whats not working, and then come out and try and run the same play that doesn't work over, and over, and it didn't work last year either? Answer, bad coaching!

Gailey didn't know how to utilize Lynch, and wanted to have his "waterbug" be the feature back. So Nix sent Marshawn packing. Now Hackett wants a Marshawn Lynch type to pound it up the middle, so the team will send Spiller packing.

Two first round picks for Sammy Watkins, and he sees the ball 3x times all game, really? really? Two catches all game, and no other involvement for the teams newest, shiniest offensive toy. Then WR Mike Williams inactive so the team could play a scrub TE? Oh yea, great offensive minds on this coaching staff.. :sick:

I yearn for a real NFL offensive coordinator that knows how to properly utilize his players, and setup an offense.

I'm calling BS. You're telling me you weren't saying Gailey wasn't using Spiller enough in 2012? You're telling me you weren't pumped when Hackett said he'd run him til he pukes? Not buying it.

The guards on this team are terrible and they are taking the whole ship down with them. I blame Marrone who bragged when he first got here about how he could take lower round guys and free agents (off the street fa's, not other teams') and make them work. He wanted size. Well what he has now are 2 guys so slow, immobile and unable to play in any degree of space that they are killing this offense. Can't pull, can't get to a 2nd level. They fire out straight ahead and give little CJ about 2 inches of room where he is swallowed up immediately. CJ realizes his life expectancy is dropping by the minute when he pounds into the 1st round monsters like Suh and Wilfork so he bounces it outside and hopes for the best. If they could pull or getout in front of a play, Spiller might get a corner now and then and the behemoths inside might have to move enough for him to get a cutback INSIDE for a change. Marrone has been so hard headed about this and I have never agreed with him. Draft at least 1 quality guard next year please!

That said, the OC has 2 speed burners in Spiller (look he took a kickoff back 100+, he still has a burst, he's not injured) and Goodwin, not to mention Watkins. Teams would KILL for that kind of speed. Can our OC figure out how to use it? No of course not. We spend the entire 1st half of games going 3 and out running 2 out of every 3 downs then get going a little after halftime when we have to throw. I truly and honestly think Marrone is Dick Jauron 2.0. He'd love a nice ploddy up the middle ground game and try to win 17-14 on the last kick. Don't blitz, play safe, don't throw in offensive wrinkles, just pound it behind the mastodons that cant move or block anyone. It is 2014. The best passing teams win a LOT these days. I didn't see the Vikings in the Super Bowl with the best running attack. The Bills have a QB now, who while not perfect (yes he holds it a while to try for plays to open up and is immobile), can at least get the ball out and in the middle of the field in intermediate routes.

With respect to blitzing, I noticed that in the 2nd half Brady got the ball out in a REAL hurry. He rarely had to wait to make a decision. At halftime they must have cleaned up their keys because he looked really confident getting the ball out. I don't know if blitzing would have gotten there or even caused pressure, though trying it a little when they've scored on every possession sure wouldn't have hurt.

CJ Killer? What is he doing here? https://vine.co/v/OqB9YQxv31M

I called this play before it happened and, voila, it happened, so unfortunately I was correct. Hackett is so predictable it's sickening.

The officiating has been awful in just about every Bills game this season and for years against the Patriots. When will it change?

This team is better passing with Orton but the running game has suffered. With EJ at least giving the threat of running, it just allows the Spiller and Fred more space. This is a running team that needs better guard play but is also getting away from what it is offensively. I know I'm in the minority here but still feel EJ gives the Bills the best chance to win...

sorry, but that threat does not threat any longer;not sure why you wold make this statement

I called this play before it happened and, voila, it happened, so unfortunately I was correct. Hackett is so predictable it's sickening.

sorry, but that threat does not threat any longer;not sure why you wold make this statement

HACKETT? HACKETT?

Do you not see that hole? Do you not see it? CJ has 5 yards there, easy.

sorry, but EJ does not give the threat of running at all anymore, not sure why you would make this statement

HACKETT? HACKETT?

Do you not see that hole? Do you not see it? CJ has 5 yards there, easy.

yes, yes, I meant to correct myself but you beat me to it. We can agree EJ lacks vision big-time

Good post.

The Bills' running game was ineffective. Period. The main problem there isn't the running backs. It's the offensive line.

Speaking of the offensive line, I expected the interior to play poorly; so I wasn't that surprised by what I saw. I was surprised by Glenn getting owned on the strip/sack. I also get the impression that Henderson is too large/immobile to handle speed rushers. (At least that's what he looked like today.) Even a good player is allowed to have an occasional bad day, so I'm willing to give Glenn a mulligan. But other than him and possibly Wood, I can't think of any long-term answers on that line. The lack of a good line has mostly snuffed out the running game, and is greatly impeding the passing attack.

It was hard to tell from my television screen, but the announcers said that Watkins was well-covered by Revis pretty much the whole game. That makes me miss a WR we used to have who could get open against Revis. (And who was traded for a fourth round pick.) Other than Chandler, it doesn't seem like the Bills' receiving threats did a good job of getting open.

But as bad as all that was, our real problems were on defense. :angry:To its credit, the defense played well in the second half. During the first half, the Bills were 0-3 in the turnover battle. Being down by 13-7 at the end of the half is not bad at all, considering that turnover margin. I felt that if they played like that in the second half--except without the turnovers--they had an excellent chance of winning. Instead, the Patriots scored on every drive of the second half. The closest thing the defense had to a second half success was holding the Patriots to a FG. But there was only one second half Patriots drive like that. All the other drives were touchdowns. The Bills very obviously don't have the defense I thought they had.

With no second half defense whatever, and no running game, the only thing we had going for us was the passing attack. That passing attack isn't going to be enough to carry the team.

sorry, but EJ does not give the threat of running at all anymore, not sure why you would make this statement

yes, yes, I meant to correct myself but you beat me to it. We can agree EJ lacks vision big-time

You mean CJ right?

That play looks like CJ is actively trying to lose yards. It's unfathomable.

Good post.

The Bills' running game was ineffective. Period. The main problem there isn't the running backs. It's the offensive line.

Speaking of the offensive line, I expected the interior to play poorly; so I wasn't that surprised by what I saw. I was surprised by Glenn getting owned on the strip/sack. I also get the impression that Henderson is too large/immobile to handle speed rushers. (At least that's what he looked like today.) Even a good player is allowed to have an occasional bad day, so I'm willing to give Glenn a mulligan. But other than him and possibly Wood, I can't think of any long-term answers on that line. The lack of a good line has mostly snuffed out the running game, and is greatly impeding the passing attack.

It was hard to tell from my television screen, but the announcers said that Watkins was well-covered by Revis pretty much the whole game. That makes me miss a WR we used to have who could get open against Revis. (And who was traded for a fourth round pick.) Other than Chandler, it doesn't seem like the Bills' receiving threats did a good job of getting open.

But as bad as all that was, our real problems were on defense. :angry:To its credit, the defense played well in the second half. During the first half, the Bills were 0-3 in the turnover battle. Being down by 13-7 at the end of the half is not bad at all, considering that turnover margin. I felt that if they played like that in the second half--except without the turnovers--they had an excellent chance of winning. Instead, the Patriots scored on every drive of the second half. The closest thing the defense had to a second half success was holding the Patriots to a FG. But there was only one second half Patriots drive like that. All the other drives were touchdowns. The Bills very obviously don't have the defense I thought they had.

With no second half defense whatever, and no running game, the only thing we had going for us was the passing attack. That passing attack isn't going to be enough to carry the team.

really?? how so? giving up 300 yds of offense to the Pats in 2H was a credit to the Bills D playing well ?