Bills vs. Patriots officiating thread

Orton's Arm

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And people, not you specifically, complain about this week in and week out. Every single game, win or lose. And they don't understand the game of football (or any other sport) either. There were bad calls against both teams, just like there are every single game in the NFL. It gets tiresome hearing the same thing every week. Just think for a moment, how likely is it that the Bills get screwed by the zebras every single game? Yet there are some who let their inner homer get the best of them and think this happens.

I will say though, that having this thread will end up being a really good thing if it keeps "the refs screwed the Bills" comments out of all the other threads.

I think the officiating league wide is horrible and inconsistent. That's a problem, plain and simple. Hell a former employee(referee) said as much during the broadcast for christ sakes and said they are shown videos of what should consistently be called and yet they still don't make the right call (this is the Gronk catch/fumble, so not a Bills call). If you look, a lot of people are saying that in this thread it's not just that it's the Bills games. It makes games LEAGUE WIDE unwatchable. I think it's a bit disingenuous to lump people who are upset with officiating into some sort of uneducated group. I'm fairly well educated in many sports and having played many sports understand the rules. I'm not saying the officiating had anything to do with the Bills losing or winning, I have never used that excuse. The refs are screwing up the enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Second week in a row the announcers were opening disagreeing with calls made against us. That doesn't happen very often.

They also disagreed with one that went the Bills way.

Trying to look a little objectively, here are the penalty stats:

Pats* 9 for 60 yards

Bills 8 for 107 yards

So the Cheatriats actually had more penalties called against them. The yardage difference looks huge until you remember that Duke Williams masterpiece of a PI that contributed 30 yards to the Bills total.

But some will counter that it was when the penalties were called against the Bills that made the difference. You can't really argue subjective things like that. You either Billieve it or not. But if that is the argument, then you (not you specifically Dorkington, the forum software merged my posts :) ) are stating that the refs actively conspired against the Bills which is very different than simply being incompetent.

Edited by CodeMonkey

But some will counter that it was when the penalties were called against the Bills that made the difference. You can't really argue subjective things like that. You either Billieve it or not.

I am one of those that believe that several penalties yesterday were momentum breakers and possibly, game changers. As for the subjective part, much of the post-game analysis is subjective. While much can be gathered from stats as they accumulate over the season, we all know that measurables alone are inadequate in telling the entire story for any single game.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Has anyone got links to the two offensive PI calls on Watkins and Woods?

I was telling my non-Bills fan friend about them, and he was stunned. I also showed him the clip of the Hughes penalty, and his reaction was, "Seems like the refs want to give the game to the Patriots."

No one could convince me otherwise Hughes 15 yard penalty after a third down stop was simply a "blown call".

One of the worst calls ever in Bills/pats* history. it was a game changer.

I am one of those that believe that several penalties yesterday were momentum breakers and possibly, game changers. As for the subjective part, much of the post-game analysis is subjective. While much can be gathered from stats as they accumulate over the season, we all know that measurables alone are inadequate in telling the entire story for any single game.

I am one, too.

I am one, too.

Marrone is one too. I was watching his presser late last night and he made a comment along the lines of not wanting to say anything about the officiating that would get him in trouble or fined.

They also disagreed with one that went the Bills way.

Trying to look a little objectively, here are the penalty stats:

Pats* 9 for 60 yards

Bills 8 for 107 yards

So the Cheatriats actually had more penalties called against them. The yardage difference looks huge until you remember that Duke Williams masterpiece of a PI that contributed 30 yards to the Bills total.

But some will counter that it was when the penalties were called against the Bills that made the difference. You can't really argue subjective things like that. You either Billieve it or not. But if that is the argument, then you (not you specifically Dorkington, the forum software merged my posts :) ) are stating that the refs actively conspired against the Bills which is very different than simply being incompetent.

It's not the the amount of penalties or yardage, it's the TIMING of the penalties. Giving the patriots a few false starts on first down doesn't mean ****.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

"Conspiracy" is basically a cool buzzword for purposes of making the straw-man.

I don't think refs go into a game trying to make sure the Bills lose. I think they respect and listen to Bellichick more than others. I think they expect Brady to be better than the Bills QB and look for more reasons to throw OPI flags. And I think it's awfully curious that when Revis has his arm around the ref conversing like it's one of his boys after the Woods TD, and there's unfathomable bad calls after that...

They're human and prone to lots of errors that may favor one team more than another. IDK really what to do about it. Maybe Gillmore can try to be smooth like Revis did. Obviously winning will help. But the Pats got lots of help without the winning tradition in 2001.

Edited by BuffOrange

"Conspiracy" is basically a cool buzzword for purposes of making the straw-man.

I don't think refs go into a game trying to make sure the Bills lose. I think they respect and listen to Bellichick more than others. I think they expect Brady to be better than the Bills QB and look for more reasons to throw OPI flags. And I think it's awfully curious that when Revis has his arm around the ref conversing like it's one of his boys after the Woods TD, and there's unfathomable bad calls after that...

They're human and prone to lots of errors that may favor one team more than another. IDK really what to do about it. Maybe Gillmore can try to be smooth like Revis did. Obviously winning will help. But the Pats got lots of help without the winning tradition in 2001.

Great summary. I believe this is it in a nutshell. Very similar to what the NBA is like. Everyone who says "just win and then we'll get the calls", well that's all fine and dandy but back breaking calls at the worst times against teams standing directly in our way from becoming a winning team is helping to keep us down.

Marrone is one too. I was watching his presser late last night and he made a comment along the lines of not wanting to say anything about the officiating that would get him in trouble or fined.

i would actually love to hear him go on profanity riddled tirade completely taking these people to task. take the fine, take the suspension, take whatever they throw at you...just don't take it lying down!

I enjoy when the refs go over to Belichek to explain their interpretation, and later on one of them is standing on the sidelines, chuckling and chatting with Gronk. It's a family affair, with well-shaven referees all over the league. Complete with lube jobs and reach-arounds from the Gillette Girls.

Some of you are just noticing this NOW? Really?

Why is it one team, over and over again (and not just against us), that seems to get game-changing calls in their favor? This has been going on for years. Remember that Ravens Monday Nighter in 2007, the Tuck Rule, the AFCCG in 2004, "just give it to them", the atrocious game with JP a few years back where there was an inadvertent whistle preventing a Bills likely game-winning pick 6, followed by 3-4 more drive-enabling calls that let the Pats* win? That's among others, of course. The same team that goes about 2 years recently without playing opponents coming off extra time, when we get hit with about ten in the same span.

It had actually trailed off a bit in recent years, but was back in full force yesterday. If it was truly random, it would even out over time. It hasn't and probably won't. Most likely because it's not random....

i would actually love to hear him go on profanity riddled tirade completely taking these people to task. take the fine, take the suspension, take whatever they throw at you...just don't take it lying down!

Me too. Show the players that you won't let their efforts be in vain and that you won't take this bull anymore