Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

I think this conversation is better for the end of the season. Let's see how things play out.

Let's not get too overboard with Orton beating two of the worst teams in the league. He did not look like the long term answer against New England. As others have said, if he continues to play well and win then he is your answer for this season and probably next. After that, who knows. There is a ton of uncertainty with this team heading into the Pegula Era. We may have a completely new coaching staff and/or front office next year.

MN is only "one of the worst teams in the league" because we won that game. If we lose they're 4-4.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real picture isn't quite as clear as the one you paint.

Yes, it is his 10th season in the league, but it's his first real action in a couple of years. Secondly, too much is made out of career numbers. If he'd been playing year in year out for the last 9 years it would mean more, but he's got about 5 years of starting. Also, his career average includes his rookie season and spot duty which are less indicative of future performance than his most recent performance as a long term starter. A better barometer of his performance would be to look at the two years he spent in Denver before the John Fox change where he very consistent with a QB rating around 87 both of those years.

Your analysis also ignores his progression. In seasons in which he's started at least a dozen games his QB rating has risen steadily: 59.7, 79.6, 86.8, 87.5, in that order. It shows he's one of the rare QBs that does improve steadily and significantly. That is a more accurate indicator of what is to be expected than a raw average. Plus, his QB rating doesn't have to remain at 104 for him to be a viable QB.

I would really love to see Kyle behind a great offensive line.....

I think he would still take some sacks.......but I also think he would be VERY good

I'd love to see Orton be our guy for the next five years. After a bye and time to keep learning the offense, and create synergy with WR, could Orton take a real step forward with even less sacks, and better production.

We remain focused on improving our G situation, Safety, and TE. We could be a damn good team for the next couple of years. We have time to draft a QB as you won't ever get one in free agency.

It could be next year, or the year after for a QB. This could be the beginning of a nice change in Buffalo.

I think thats the idea Machine Gun . Orton gives the Bills some time and options that we did not have with Tuel and the rest of 'em.

young team coming up.

They have a darned fine captain of the Offense in Kyle. Lets keep him upright while protecting the pocket and see what becomes this year.

A nice change from years past ? Could be, could be...

Go Bills

ps if he earns his money by end of season start talking. not one minute before though

Edited by 3rdand12

Because he's a journeyman who has been with 5 different franchises. Sure,maybe we found a second coming of Rich Gannon but I wouldn't count it. Lets hop we can continue the ride, as a 104 rating QB is rare in Bills waters.

Orton could be like what Trent Green was for the Chiefs..good enough to get them to the playoffs but not a real super bowl contender...

That's good enough for right now considering we haven't been to the postseason in 14 years

Old at 31? nawww

Its possible we may have gotten Kyle Orton at the best point in his career IMO

Thank you. This is his prime. His prime is not the same as Peyton or Brees, but it's better than anything we've seen in quite a while. (I pray it continues.)

Thank you. This is his prime. His prime is not the same as Peyton or Brees, but it's better than anything we've seen in quite a while. (I pray it continues.)

Yup. It doesn't happen often. But some guys just have star struck careers. Playing QB in the NFL is the hardest thing in all of sports IMO. There are so many things you have to be able to do great, both physically and mentally, all while people are literally trying to knock you unconscious that you often cannot see. Experience is an enormous advantage. Leadership is an undervalued element. An NFL arm is soooo important and a lot of these guys just don't have it. Being able to hit guys on the dead run is a completely undervalued skill. Orton has all of them.

He's not without fault of course. He cannot move well. He will make the wrong decision and pass a little more often than you want. But he's a NFL QB. And it's not written, but it's possible, that he has never had these weapons, and he is playing to his ability, and the fact he is 31 is the best thing about him not the worst.

Yup. It doesn't happen often. But some guys just have star struck careers. Playing QB in the NFL is the hardest thing in all of sports IMO. There are so many things you have to be able to do great, both physically and mentally, all while people are literally trying to knock you unconscious that you often cannot see. Experience is an enormous advantage. Leadership is an undervalued element. An NFL arm is soooo important and a lot of these guys just don't have it. Being able to hit guys on the dead run is a completely undervalued skill. Orton has all of them.

He's not without fault of course. He cannot move well. He will make the wrong decision and pass a little more often than you want. But he's a NFL QB. And it's not written, but it's possible, that he has never had these weapons, and he is playing to his ability, and the fact he is 31 is the best thing about him not the worst.

Seriously, the above is a great post. The fan in me thinks that Orton can take this team to the playoffs this year or next. The pessimist side has doubts.

Still, he IS a pro at, like you said, the toughest position to play in any sport. It really is fun to watch this team with a real qb.

There might be issues with Orton down the road, but not right now. Count me as one who still thinks the Bills need to bring in another qb. But teams should always be doing this, especially in the draft. Our other needs shouldn't be THAT hard to fill. This would include OG and RB.

At this point, let's make the freaking playoffs, ya know?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO Orton is more than capable of being our franchise QB. I look at Eli, a player that has 2 Superbowl MVP's. His statistics and QB performance are very average, if not worse. Even in the years he won the Superbowl's, he was not stellar. The NY Giants have always won Superbowl's with average QB's. Joe Flacco is another example. What they have in common is a strong Defense. I believe the Bills have a SB caliber defense, requiring only slightly above average play from the QB. I believe Orton will do what no other Bills QB has done in 14 years. From what i have seen of Kyle so far, he is our Franchise QB. Until he sucks.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's see how he plays over the next few games before getting too excited. He's played good football during stretches of his career and then he's played some bad football too. Statistically, he's played much better in 4 games with the Bills than he has throughout his career.

He's a 4th Rd pick that has been beaten out by Tebow and Rex Grossman in his career. It's hard to think he'll suddenly become a pro-bowl QB but maybe he can be a Trent Dilfer kind of guy at this stage of his career.

absolutely he can be the answer. Hes younger than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees. Hes one year older than Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith. Hes also the same age as Jay Cutler.

Orton can make all the throws and he knows how to read a defense. Guys like Rich Gannon took 10+ years before they finally found their way in the NFL. The only weakness I see in Ortons game is his limited mobility in the pocket....he needs to improve his pocket awareness to avoid the pass rush a little better. Tom Brady is as slow if not slower than Orton, but his awareness in the pocket is incredible.

The best part is that Orton is already signed for next year, so we have the ability to lock him up long term over the next year for a modest price tag. Just please OBD take some more time to evaluate him, we went overboard with FItzpatrick and we have 7 mill in dead money on our cap from that bad decision.

With that said I personally believe orton is the guy weve been looking for.