Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think Sammy is worth it take a look at what a difference a stud reciever makes to a team. You don't have to look any further than the Bengals and what they have done since A C Green was hurt, Atlanta without Julio Jones last year, in todays NFL a star reciever is a difference maker and our FO recognized that and went out and got us one. Sammy will be paying dividends long after this discussion has been put to rest, the Watkins deal will probably go down as one of the smartest moves ever made by a Bills FO.....

Bills' Sammy Watkins just beginning to evolve

Before they agreed to mortgage their future for Sammy Watkins, the Buffalo Bills tried to find a flaw.

During their digging process, though, which expectedly included interviews with members of Clemson's coaching staff and those close to Watkins at home, they only heard more reasons to spend two first-round picks and a fourth-rounder to nab the most dynamic player in the draft.

Even Nate Hackett couldn't ruin Sammy.

He tried against NE. Nate thought that he'd make a good decoy!! I said on Sunday before the last play if they didn't target Sammy there I would never watch another Bills game again. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it didn't come to that. I could just see Hackett dreaming up a way to get Lee Smith free for the game winner. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Considering the Bills track record at drafting first round picks, the odds are that next year's pick would have been a middling success or a bust. The Bills hardly ever strike gold in the first round. Spiller wasn't worth it. EJ wasn't worth it. Dareus is coming around finally. Torrell Troup might have been worth it but he got hurt, and we coulda had Gronkowski instead. So we could have had a good WR or TE this year and maybe bilge next year, or Watkins this year when the Bills might be in position to make the playoffs. The Bills didn't count on Kiko getting hurt -- what a difference it would have made to have him and Spikes and Bradham and Preston Brown cycling through. So I think the Bills thought it was worth the chance to explode on the scene this year, and to position themselves for several years with what could be the best WR in the game. Unless Watkins gets hurt, you betcha this was the right thing to do.

Considering the Bills track record at drafting first round picks, the odds are that next year's pick would have been a middling success or a bust. The Bills hardly ever strike gold in the first round. Spiller wasn't worth it. EJ wasn't worth it. Dareus is coming around finally. Torrell Troup might have been worth it but he got hurt, and we coulda had Gronkowski instead. So we could have had a good WR or TE this year and maybe bilge next year, or Watkins this year when the Bills might be in position to make the playoffs. The Bills didn't count on Kiko getting hurt -- what a difference it would have made to have him and Spikes and Bradham and Preston Brown cycling through. So I think the Bills thought it was worth the chance to explode on the scene this year, and to position themselves for several years with what could be the best WR in the game. Unless Watkins gets hurt, you betcha this was the right thing to do.

Troup was a second round pick...but i get your point. :-D

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24761705/the-week-in-overreactions-alex-smith-is-more-than-a-game-manager

Watkins trade continue to be delusionaly criticized in the national media.

Ask yourself this question would the Buffalo Bills trade Sammy Watkins to the Cleveland Browns for 2015 1st, 4th and a 2016 1st.

I think the answer is No.

An All-Pro WR in hand is better than 3 picks in the draft.

Edited by Why So Serious?

http://www.cbssports...-a-game-manager

Watkins trade continue to be delusionaly criticized in the national media.

Ask yourself this question would the Buffalo Bills trade Sammy Watkins to the Cleveland Browns for 2015 1st, 4th and a 2016 1st.

I think the answer is No.

An All-Pro WR in hand is better than 3 picks in the draft.

I find that article to be a "non-casual fan" perspective which is a breathe of fresh of air. Most writers and casuals are too caught up in the myopia. I have a hard time arguing with any of it. Learned some new information from that article as well that Watkins ranks 35th in total value among all wideouts, according to Football Outsiders, and Pro Football Focus' metrics rank him 48th.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I find that article to be a "non-casual fan" perspective which is a breathe of fresh of air. Most writers and casuals are too caught up in the myopia. I have a hard time arguing with any of it. Learned some new information from that article as well that Watkins ranks 35th in total value among all wideouts, according to Football Outsiders, and Pro Football Focus' metrics rank him 48th.

My argument to that is to open your eyes and watch the games.

And as Bandit says, we would likely be 1-6 without him, and the season would be over.

My argument to that is to open your eyes and watch the games.

And as Bandit says, we would likely be 1-6 without him, and the season would be over.

I have watched every single game over the past two decades...and no the season wouldn't be over without him. The season would indeed be over without the collective group we currently have playing defense.

I say again: this team would be 1-6 without Sammy.

In the scenario where we don't trade up for Sammy, we also don't forfeit our draft pick at #8. You're ignoring the fact that there's plenty of quality players we would've picked from there. The question is how good would we be with Kelvin Benjamin or Odell Beckham or Eric Ebron this season (or a player at a different position), plus a first round quarterback next season.

I'm glad Sammy is on our team but as always it still comes down to whether we are able to find a QB. No first round pick next season greatly hinders that pursuit, although it doesn't ruin it.

Edited by earthtobrint