NFL believes it’s 12-24 months away from a return to L.A.

The Dean

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think San Diego goes first

Rams should be ashamed leaving with a 20 year old stadium. What a joke

Chargers have a very good fan base and likely won't turn their back on that. It is pathetic that such a newish stadium is being abandoned. They're doing the same with the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Terrible planning.

http://profootballta...-return-to-l-a/

We've certainly heard this before. But just because it wasn't true in the past doesn't necessarily mean it won't be true this time. Still, I believe it when it actually happens.

But that's not why I started this thread. I'm more interested in this:

What the hell does that mean? I know the NFL is very powerful, and has the ability to influence decisions, but can they "send one or two teams" anywhere? Since when does the NFL decide where franchises will play?

Mike Florio is a former lawyer so you would think he knows what the NFL can - and can't - do.

Then again, isn't Florio the guy who reported that Terry Bradshaw died in a car accident several years ago?

This is crazy. I read that headline without the slightest trace of fear!

I know. It is so nice not to have LA anxiety anymore. Thank God for El Pegul. It still seems like St. Louis would be the choice in that they are in a year to year deal with the stadium improvements. Kronke bought that land in LA and is one of the richest owners in the NFL after Allen in Seattle. I hate to hear for any fan base they should lose their team to LA who couldn't keep two teams in the past. The only way I see Oakland going to LA would be if the state or LA pay for the stadium, and I don't see CA having the money to do it. That was a 50/50 deal for SF and took 15 years to happen. In addition, San Jose is Silicon Valley and one of the richest areas in CA.

one will be built if two teams are there. orange county. do the research please.

Do the research?

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years. The only stadium idea right now that has any validity whatsoever is not even a plan yet, but a bunch of land bought near Hollywood Park. It's not going to be Orange County. Teams are still using LA to get better deals from their own city. The only guy with the balls, money, and lack of soul willing to do it is in St. Louis and he ain't going to Orange County.

Do the research?

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years. The only stadium idea right now that has any validity whatsoever is not even a plan yet, but a bunch of land bought near Hollywood Park. It's not going to be Orange County. Teams are still using LA to get better deals from their own city. The only guy with the balls, money, and lack of soul willing to do it is in St. Louis and he ain't going to Orange County.

Great post. The whole NFL has had the opportunity to grab LA forever, if its such a great market why no takers. LA is a very competitive town for disposable income, especially the entertainment dollar. I attended a Rams game in 1985 with Eric Dickerson at his peak, lots of empty seats and a boring "who cares" atmosphere.

For some reason, I find myself giving much less of a crap about this issue than I did a year ago.

:D

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years.

Me too. LA is much more valuable to the Shield as a place to threaten to move a team than to actually move a team.

one will be built if two teams are there. orange county. do the research please.

A drawing of a stadium isn't an actual stadium.

There have been several drawing of "LA stadiums" for future NFL teams. None have any link with reality at this point.

The reason all of the previous "stadium plans" of late have failed is very simple----Unless and owner of a team builds his own stadium (Rams), there is no financial incentive for a private 3rd party to build $1.5 billion stadium with only one (ok, throw in a second team in this fantasy) reliable tenent for 10 or so dates a year. And please spare us the "there can be bowl games, concerts and other events" nonsense.

A drawing of a stadium isn't an actual stadium.

Reminds me of a great scene from the West Wing. Did anybody else watch that show? China was making noise over Taiwan, and the US was moving a carrier group toward the South China Sea.

SAM

Why were the carrier groups in the Taiwan Strait?

BARTLET

Are they in the Taiwan Strait?

SAM

They're on their way.

BARTLET

Is that the same thing?

I have lived in LA for 20 years and I don't know anyone who really wants a team here. I have met hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fans from other cities who still follow their hometown team or favorite team. I don't see much call for a team at all and I go to a sports bar that often has 500 fans on Sundays.

And I don't hate LA at all either. it's pretty great in fact.

No one???

Wow. I manage 2 chumps. One doesnt care about the sport. One is a charger fan. Both the charger fan and me would love a team in LA.

That's 2 people right there. 50%

Not to mentionn all my other friends... That's like 2 more right there. Just kidding.

When this subject has come up, most people welcome the idea. We must be from opposite sides of la or something.

No one???

Wow. I manage 2 chumps. One doesnt care about the sport. One is a charger fan. Both the charger fan and me would love a team in LA.

That's 2 people right there. 50%

Not to mentionn all my other friends... That's like 2 more right there. Just kidding.

When this subject has come up, most people welcome the idea. We must be from opposite sides of la or something.

I guess I should have clarified it a bit. It totally depends on how you ask the question.

I don't know one person here that has said "We have to have a team here. This city needs a team. It's a disgrace for a city this big to not have the NFL. I really want a team here I can root for." I don't know one person who has said any of those things. I know all kinds of people who if you asked "Would you like to have an NFL team here or not?" they would say sure, that would be great. I'd go watch a game once in awhile.

Charger fans who selfishly want the team in LA so they can watch them here and screw over 99% of Charger fans don't count. ;)

I guess I should have clarified it a bit. It totally depends on how you ask the question.

I don't know one person here that has said "We have to have a team here. This city needs a team. It's a disgrace for a city this big to not have the NFL. I really want a team here I can root for." I don't know one person who has said any of those things. I know all kinds of people who if you asked "Would you like to have an NFL team here or not?" they would say sure, that would be great. I'd go watch a game once in awhile.

Charger fans who selfishly want the team in LA so they can watch them here and screw over 99% of Charger fans don't count. ;)

Here we go again.

I have heard both cases.

Your first example (that you have not encountered), I have met these folks too. They usually add something like this: "How could La not have a team? When we used to have 2. If ____________________ has a team, how come La, a much bigger market doesnt have a team."

Anyway it's all good. I want a team here. However, I dont think they would bring a team or name an expansion just for little old me. Or who knows. Maybe they would if they knew me. Just kidding again.