I hate to be a downer but ... Robert Woods ....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How stupid is this thread? We're 3 & 2, leading the division, new hope at QB and you guys are p*ssing on each other about how good our #2 receiver is. Really? I'm damn happy to have him and he brings a lot to this team. Good route runner, tough, great blocker and he's still has a high ceiling.

In order to properly evaluate a WR, you'd like to have decent play from the QB position, and decent play from your offensive line. If the pass rush gets to the quarterback ridiculously quickly, he won't have time for anything more than his dump-off option.

In the Lions game the Bills had solid quarterback play. But the Lions' DL dominated the Bills' OL. I expect the Bills' OL to look better most weeks than it did against the Lions. I also expect this "looking better" to start this Sunday against the Patriots. :)

By the end of the season, we should have a clearer picture of what we have or don't have in Robert Woods.

Hughes is heading there.... It's going to get crowded in space.

so far we have three dynamic players in space...Hughes, Woods and CJ...yeah, I suppose it's getting crowded. Our coordinators should do a better job at creating more space. El Pegual's first order of business...widen the field.

I loved that play. They still couldn't wrestle him down. And he always plays like that, and blocks hard downfield. I can possibly understand how a fan can say he is not great or not even that good (I disagree), but to say he is not physical is just flat wrong on so any levels.

I have no idea what that play (that netted next to nothing) is supposed to prove. When I said he's not physical its in the context of shedding bumps and jams and keeping defenders off him to create seperation. He doesn't consistently do that. He's also not a guy who one says "just throw it in woods direction and let him fight for it with the DB because he wins physical matchups". He's simply not that kind of WR

I have no idea what that play (that netted next to nothing) is supposed to prove. When I said he's not physical its in the context of shedding bumps and jams and keeping defenders off him to create seperation. He doesn't consistently do that. He's also not a guy who one says "just throw it in woods direction and let him fight for it with the DB because he wins physical matchups". He's simply not that kind of WR

Then say that, and you would still be wrong. He goes up and fights for balls and takes them away from defenders, too. He did it in the first game of the year against the Bears on a 15 or so yard pass he wrestled away from a defender and then ran 10 more. Not to mention his circus catch later in the game which was a huge play. Not a physical play against a defender but an amazing physical feat.

Then say that, and you would still be wrong. He goes up and fights for balls and takes them away from defenders, too. He did it in the first game of the year against the Bears on a 15 or so yard pass he wrestled away from a defender and then ran 10 more. Not to mention his circus catch later in the game which was a huge play. Not a physical play against a defender but an amazing physical feat.

I did "he's not physical, and not particularly fast in pads ... as a result he doesn't create separation"

That was a nice grab in the bears game ... I'd never take that one away from him. And mike Williams who made one just as good later in that game. But after 19 games I'd expect him to have some nice grabs even as am average WR. His overall stat line however undermines the argument he's anything more that that.

His overall stat line however undermines the argument he's anything more that that.

Of course the fact that for most if not all of those 19 games we've been a run heavy team that only passes to WRs when absolutely necessary might play into that.

Get your head out from up your stat sheet and watch the game and you might have another opinion.

I know the numbers aren't there and they likely will never be but Woods reminds me a lot of Andre Reed with their style of play. Physical, good hands, quick, good blocking WR, not afraid to go over the middle and give up the body to catch the ball. Maybe his numbers go up when the ball isn't thrown at his back-foot shoelace.

Edited by PeoriaAZBillsFan

Woods actually had a good game. He's a really good blocker and fights for every yard. Plus he's a fighter. The Bills using 5 WR are not going to put up great stats for the individuals (except perhaps Sammy because he's a stud). Goodwin is an extremely valuable player that stats do not show at all. I heard in the pregame show that last week, because he was out, the defenses played a completely different game against us because they always accounted for him and his speed when he was running decoy routes. Stats are really misleading. Woods is a solid and valuable player. He was great in the first win.

Agreed. Every Wideout is crucial for the Bills because they are all experts in one thing or another.