Please Pay Jerry Hughes and Marcell Dareus

gonzo1105

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other teams are doubling Dareus. Kyle Williams has been flushing QBs to one side or another. Mario has been collapsing from his side, plus there's usually a RB/TE chip on his side (I think). All Hughes has to do is beat his guy, or just shove him into the QB, and the rest is done :D

If you are Jerry Hughes and you're sitting down with your agent, do you have a realistic appraisal of the reasons for your success?

You did nothing as a Colt. Upon trade to the Bills, in the Pettine and Schwartz systems, surrounded by elite talent, you now play to your draft selection and have turned into quite the impressive football player.

Do you stay in Buffalo even if it isn't the max dollars you'd get elsewhere where there is no pressure to be THE man on defense, or do you chase that big contract from a team that will be counting on you to produce without elite talent surrounding you?

Usually do to the nature of the job. It's show me the money first and foremost. Doubtful an agent would appraise a clients reasons for success, and say take less money because the rest of the line makes you look better than you may actually be.

Last week Pegula was gonna clean house...Dareus was immature and we shouldn't pay him.......amazing what a win does to change the attitude.

You said it, nucci.

I have been saying that I want the Bills to keep both Dareus & Hughes long before yesterday's game.

Dareus was a monster yesterday. It's even more impressive when you take into account that Kyle wasn't playing.

I think Hughes is getting a little better as an all-purpose DE, instead of being strictly a pass rusher.

The biggest reason why we should keep these guys, is because they are young, which is something we have very little of on our D-Line.

Kyle is 31 & Mario is 29, we need to have these younger guys on the team. Stefan Charles has potential, but I don't know if he's ever going to be a dominant starter, and Jarius Wynn is primarily a back-up.

I feel that the Bills will do everything to keep Dareus when the time comes. As far as Hughes goes, we may need to throw a gigantic contract at him to make him stay.

Possibly they are waiting until new ownership is in place?

Anyways......the bills are not hurting for salary cap and the new owner has Deeep pockets......

We are in pretty good shape here

This raises an interesting point. Until the sales process is completed, was the front office precluded from doing anything that impacted the bottom line? Players are assets in the ledger after all. I wonder.

GO BILLS!!!

This raises an interesting point. Until the sales process is completed, was the front office precluded from doing anything that impacted the bottom line? Players are assets in the ledger after all. I wonder.

GO BILLS!!!

I very much doubt it. I very much doubt Mary would have put any restrictions, and I know the Pegula's wouldn't. They have been somewhat negotiating with Spiller over the last month. I wouldn't doubt if there are others.

They meaning the Bills present management.

I very much doubt it. I very much doubt Mary would have put any restrictions, and I know the Pegula's wouldn't. They have been somewhat negotiating with Spiller over the last month. I wouldn't doubt if there are others.

They meaning the Bills present management.

Makes sense.

GO BILLS!!!

I've never seen the power out of Hughes. He was tremendous today, and half the plays were him bullrushing the LT and just shoving him back. Really impressive.

There is a theory, and usually a good one, that you cannot spend too much on one position, which skews your salary cap. And we have Mario at 100m, Kyle, and Dareus the #3 overall who MUST be re-signed. And Hughes will be offered a lot. BUT... we are paying peanuts at LB. Kiko and Brown and Bradham are 2-4 round picks which are nothing. Rivers is not high paid. If you count it as a front 7 you can rationalize it.

The Redskins are going to let the franchised Orakpo go after this season. I look for them to be a serious suitor forHughes. The Skins have a lot of needs but their main emphasis when it comes to the market is going to be on defense. Assuming he stays healthy Hughes is primed for a big payday this offseason

Whaley trading Sheppard for Hughes was a stupendous deal!

Edited by JohnC

Is there some reason why franchising Hughes is out of the question?

And Spiller should come cheap at this rate---if we even want to keep him.

Despite the cap going up, franchising Hughes--along w/ the current salaries of Kyle, Mario and hopefully MD--would allocate a sizable percentage of our cap to the dline.

I'm fine w/ investing heavily in it, as I think it's proven to be a wise investment...just don't know if the team would want to do that.

Despite the cap going up, franchising Hughes--along w/ the current salaries of Kyle, Mario and hopefully MD--would allocate a sizable percentage of our cap to the dline.

I'm fine w/ investing heavily in it, as I think it's proven to be a wise investment...just don't know if the team would want to do that.

We spoke about this in other places but, while that is usually a pretty good strategy to not tie up too much money in one position, we are paying peanuts at LB, and Kiko, Brown, Rivers for a few more years and Bradham for another 1-2. So if you want to look at it as how much you are paying your front seven, it's definitely worth it, IMO. Hughes has been very good this year, better against the run than I expected, showing more power than before, and getting pressure consistently. Also, if you're getting that pressure you don't have to pay more to get top DBs either.