Kyle Orton in action vs. the Eagles (video)

QCity

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to BuffaloBills.com, he's out.

That was last weeks report, it's dated the 27th. I haven't heard anything this week on him since all the injury talk revolves around Kyle Williams and Bradham.

I think Goodwin, though fragile, offers something to the offense even if he doesn't get a lot of balls thrown his way. The free (deep) safety has to respect his deep speed which keeps the defense a little more honest.

I did not see much to really be excited about. I saw some staring down of targets, some pretty quick dump offs and check downs. He didn't look hurried, though. We'll see if that changes when the Lions DL is in front of him.

It worked for me.

Really?

Orton is no P. Manning or Drew Brees. He's a competent, not exceptional, starter.

But if EJ played like this the past two weeks we'd be 4-0.

He's very accurate with good zip on short/intermediate throws up to 25 yards from the LOS.

Not afraid to throw over the middle.

Bear in mind that for sure he had to be a little rusty coming off the bench like that so he could be even sharper as the starter.

We could be seeing a lot of very exciting YAC this year.

Should be very interesting.

And yeah, I've heard a lot on the boards about the statue in the pocket.

That's nonsense. He moves well enuf and can throw on the run.

Really?

Orton is no P. Manning or Drew Brees. He's a competent, not exceptional, starter.

But if EJ played like this the past two weeks we'd be 4-0.

And this sums it up about right.

I liked the seam pass to Williams. It showed he trusts his guys to make a play.

Good find!..... He threw a lot of dump off passes, short stuff. The recievers were getting a lot of YAC, very accurate for the most part with the shorter passes. His deeper passes look awkward, a couple of bad throws and yet he did hit a couple of nice ones. He does a good job of moving in the pocket and getting rid of the ball, however the offensive line was giving him time. I think his biggest asset will be his experience in reading defenses, making line adjustments, and his overall veteran presence. He is not going to be the second coming of Kurt Warner, ala Arizona, but he does not need to be. Physically I think EJ has the advantage, but the QB position is a cerebral position. EJ processes the info on the field slower, giving Orton the advantage right now.

My favorite part of the video was hearing Al Michaels saying the "Cowboys just got screwed in that situation"....never heard an announcer use that term before, especially Al Michaels!

He seemed to throw a lot of passes horizontally but that may have been part of Dallass's plan to spread WRs wide to loosen up running game. There was at least one throw where he pulled it back and then changes target and connects. Definitely more mobile than the statue (Bledsoe).

I am less concerned about the Detroit game than rest of the season. If he can show the major issue is not the line or play calling or WRs then it will be standard when EJ is inserted back in for either a game, injury replacement or as cleanup.

He's very accurate with good zip on short/intermediate throws up to 25 yards from the LOS.

Not afraid to throw over the middle.

Bear in mind that for sure he had to be a little rusty coming off the bench like that so he could be even sharper as the starter.

We could be seeing a lot of very exciting YAC this year.

Should be very interesting.

And yeah, I've heard a lot on the boards about the statue in the pocket.

That's nonsense. He moves well enuf and can throw on the run.

Haters be hatin and trying to fabricate anything that makes Orton look bad in their own mind because they are/were full on EJ apologists/supporters no matter how bad of a QB he is.

I don't know if our OL is that good. :/

Yeah, that's another worry. It would be great if the OL could open holes for the backs so we didn't have to pass that often in the first place. And then kept Orton clean when we did pass.

Btw, thanks QC for the video. The Orton haters were making me doubt my recollection of him as a QB. But the vid you found bolstered my confidence in Kyle and makes me think we could possibly beat the Lions.

A win would really boost the morale of the team and rally them around their new QB. Not to mention keep us in 1st place in the wide open AFCE.

I actually think our big offensive line will be OK this week. Detroit has a powerful OL but they don't move people around like Houston. There aren't a lot of stunts. They just line up and beat their man....collapse the pocket. This is exactly the type of defensive line our OL was made to compete against. Remember, our offensive line is big and strong too...they just have been getting their asses handed to them with linemen moving around and disguising the pressure.

Detroit's defense is good though. Even though they do not do a lot of stunts, they can beat people with sheer physicality. This might be a better match up than we thought. If Kyle can get the ball out fast to our play makers, this game could be real fun to watch.

Cowboys offense looks a lot like Hackett Jr.'s offense. They even had the pass to J. J. Watt in the playbook at 4:54. Kyle threw it just like EJ did too. Unlike EJ, Kyle's was incomplete. It was right on the money though.

Was thinking the same thing. Looked identical to the watt pick six expect this de wasn't watt enough to catch it. If he does this game looks weirdly similar to Houston. Bad pass picked of at the end. All the deep balls were not even in the zip code. And Eagles appeared to be comfortable stacking the box.

Man I hope something better than this happens..

Remember this video too - he didnt play all year not bad for off the couch.

Important to keep that in mind. He didn't get any help from Murray either, who rushed 17 times for only 48 yards -- that's 2.8 yards per carry. Philly held the entire Dallas team to 56 yards rushing and forced Orton to put it up 46 times. Obviously, we don't want that either.

I've added the boxscore to the original post so you can see the stats. Witten caught 12 balls, Dez caught 8.

I love our chances this season with Orton, however I am pretty bearish on the Detroit game. It's not just Fairley, Suh, and Ansah, it's the crowd noise that has me worried. With the limited time Orton has spent with our wideouts, I can see at least 1 INT due to QB/WR miscommunication on an audible. At least 1.

Overall, I like what I see.

If this performance was delivered by EJ last week against Houston, we win the game.

A number of the incompletions and even the first interception were the fault of the receivers, not Kyle.

This is decisive, no frills, competent QB play from Orton.

I'll take it!

And it is worth noting that what we all see here in this video is a solid notch or 2 up on the crap EJ has been delivering so far this year, for sure.