We will finally see Robert Woods....

DougTheBug

You make Woods sound like Andre Reed.

He could easily become Andre 2.0 in Buffalo. He's fearless going over the middle, loves contact, and catches better in traffic than anyone else we have on the roster. Woods has all-pro ability, he just doesn't have the "wow factor" in any physical category.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby and k9 are the only ones giving me hope for this board in this thread.... It seems like the straw poll might leave woods ahead in these parts.

I'm guessing it's the buffalo blue collar underdog thing. I don't meanthatas a knocking woods either

Edited by NoSaint

I'm guessing it's the buffalo blue collar underdog thing. I don't meanthatas a knocking woods either

I didn't want to say it but "it is okay to fall in love with the superstar" (assuming that he is yours). We aren't used to having them but all signs point to Sammy becoming one.

Woods has lots of likable qualities (mainly toughness). He is a leader type with a good deal of talent. It just isn't the same.

It's great to have Woods as your favorite player. He is everything that you want in a core guy. It's just crazy to think that he is the better player.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Woods was on NFL Radio on Sirius about 2 hours ago. He gave some standard answers on his development over the past 2 years. When asked about EJ, he deflected blame to route running, blocking schemes, etc rather than to flat out say he sucks. What was intriguing though was that woods hinted at a lack of coaching and leadership that may have affected EJ. He said that EJ was thrown in last year without a mentor. Was this a knock at coaching?? An admission that kolb was supposed to be that guy? That coaching sucks? Either way, he admitted that EJ was and is not ready. He's obviously excited for orton because of his "command".

I can't help to read between the lines in that woods admitted that EJ was not ready, orton is better, and EJ was not prepared and put in a position to succeed. Intersting thoughts.... Hope woods continues to develop!

Woods was on NFL Radio on Sirius about 2 hours ago. He gave some standard answers on his development over the past 2 years. When asked about EJ, he deflected blame to route running, blocking schemes, etc rather than to flat out say he sucks. What was intriguing though was that woods hinted at a lack of coaching and leadership that may have affected EJ. He said that EJ was thrown in last year without a mentor. Was this a knock at coaching?? An admission that kolb was supposed to be that guy? That coaching sucks? Either way, he admitted that EJ was and is not ready. He's obviously excited for orton because of his "command".

I can't help to read between the lines in that woods admitted that EJ was not ready, orton is better, and EJ was not prepared and put in a position to succeed. Intersting thoughts.... Hope woods continues to develop!

i think Woods was stating what the Bills basically have already admitted as an organization. They hired a QB coach this year and I believe came out and said they should have had one last year, and that they tried to being in a vet in Kolb for EJ to learn from and it didn't work out due to his injury. I think they said this week that they didn't intend him to be thrown in there. I didn't hear the woods interview, but nothing that you relayed sounds surprising.

I didn't want to say it but "it is okay to fall in love with the superstar" (assuming that he is yours). We aren't used to having them but all signs point to Sammy becoming one.

Woods has lots of likable qualities (mainly toughness). He is a leader type with a good deal of talent. It just isn't the same.

Sammy may be a superstar, but he's as blue-collar as it gets. NOBODY outworks this kid. While others in his draft class were meeting with agents and picking out suits, he was setting up cones on a field and running routes all by himself, trying to work out kinks on various routes because he wasn't happy with it. He runs EVERY practice rep like it's his last. And you if you're a DB in practice, you better come prepared to bring it or he's gonna embarrass you. That makes them better by extension.

It's a shame he hurt his ribs because he hasn't displayed the reckless abandon he showed in college to this point. But it's just a matter of time.

GO BILLS!!!

Sammy may be a superstar, but he's as blue-collar as it gets. NOBODY outworks this kid. While others in his draft class were meeting with agents and picking out suits, he was setting up cones on a field and running routes all by himself, trying to work out kinks on various routes because he wasn't happy with it. He runs EVERY practice rep like it's his last. And you if you're a DB in practice, you better come prepared to bring it or he's gonna embarrass you. That makes them better by extension.

It's a shame he hurt his ribs because he hasn't displayed the reckless abandon he showed in college to this point. But it's just a matter of time.

GO BILLS!!!

Hater.

outplay sammy watkins. Orton likes slot receivers and personally, I think woods is better overall than watkins.

Ok stop... just stop. Woods doesn't have anywhere near the talent Watkins does period. That said I love woods, but not on watkins level talent wise

Given how few opportunities the WR's have had for YAC, I'm expecting them to play angry on Sunday.

I really feel an upset coming on. I wonder if Detroit understands the extent to which a sleeping giant may have just been stirred.

OK Yamamoto. It's put up or shut up time for the receivers. They wanted EJ gone, he's gone. We need to see some of that terrible resolve now.

It's great to have Woods as your favorite player. He is everything that you want in a core guy. It's just crazy to think that he is the better player.

I think your point is spot on- heaven forbid we have a special one, in addition to a very good one.

That is safely in the realm of "minority opinion." I get the impression many don't fully understand how rare a talent Watkins really is. I can't wait until he's 100% physically. He'll be trucking LBs and DBs instead of protecting himself out there.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree. Woods is a very good slot/#2.

Watkins has an option on greatness.

Different order of magnitude.

I'm a huge Robert Woods fan, think the guy is an absolute stud WR and will have a long career in the League. It'll be fun to see Sammy and Robert compete for the next few years -- but in terms of pure talent, Sammy has it over Woods.

Agreed short term I think Robert Woods is going to be better than Watkins say the next two seasons but when Watkins finally puts it all together in his 3rd year (like most WRs do) look out.

Edited by The Jokeman

Given how few opportunities the WR's have had for YAC, I'm expecting them to play angry on Sunday.

I really feel an upset coming on. I wonder if Detroit understands the extent to which a sleeping giant may have just been stirred.

I have just begun to read this collection and made it to Big Cats post .

Hell yes .

thats all for now. i will continue to read through here.

But thats really my attitude BC.

YAC !

Mark my words.

Agreed short term I think Robert Woods is going to be better than Watkins say the next two seasons but when Watkins finally puts it all together in his 3rd year (like most WRs do) look out.

Watkins is already putting up better numbers- the expectations are so high that people don't realize he's having a pretty decent year

Edited by NoSaint

Sammy possesses the raw ability to be dynamic in the slot, with potential to be great.....and I'm talking taking the position to a level higher than Welker in his prime in NE. He has the rare athltetesim to be more of a threat after the catch than Welker did, and he was pretty good himself. But Watkins also brings the ability to break tackles...this is another difference he brings to the slot position. He can also be a deep threat WR.

So he's more versatile than Woods, or has the quick potential to be.

I like Woods more as an intermediate threat...and possession receiver. His route running is way more crisp than Watkins at this point.

Both have different skills to bring to an offense. Its a good mix to have.

aint that a blessing !?

Watkins is already putting up better numbers- the expectations are so high that people don't realize he's having a pretty decent year

I felt we should be happy if we got 40 catches 500 yards and 3 TDs from Watkins for the season and appears he'll surpass that which to me means he was a good pick. That said if we end up giving up the Browns a top 10 pick it won't make me happy. Yet if the Browns end up with a 16 or lower pick I'm okay with it.

Woods looks like he'll be one of those guys who isn't the fastest, strongest, or tallest, but his mentality will drive him to be great. Sammy has the measurables on Woods, but Woods has a killer instinct.

But i too agree ! Woods is one tough SOB . how great could the Williams Watkins Woods Goodwin combo be for a diverse set of WRs if ...

Exactly!! If you go back to the Watkins prediction thread right now he would be on pace for 68 rec, 788 yards and 8 TDS with the BAD qb play that he has gotten. That is higher than most people projected (I think) and I don't think that anyone could have thought that the QB play would be as bad as it has been. Those numbers should climb. My guess now is if Watkins stays healthy 76 Rec, 1,025 yards and 8 TDS. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Recall that play from the Texans game where Watkins had his man beat deep in 1-on-1 coverage and Manuel - who had time and space to see - dumped it off. There's a reason Watkins' numbers aren't fantastic right now, and it's not because of him.

That is the Same exact reason why Woods numbers are not fantastic yet too .

Isn't this an awesome discussion to be having!!! I mean, really!

For my money, Sammy is just too physically talented to be in second place on this team. Get him healthy and hit him in stride and this could be VERY fun! Having said that, Woods is amazing too and they will both benefit from having more than one stud to worry about.

Now if we could just borrow some guards to let all this happen...

I'd take Denver, San Francisco, Indy, Chicago and Atlanta's trio over ours.

Pretty decent list Jokeman. Detroit's & Houston's groups are pretty solid too. The Bills went from bottom of the barrel to pretty good and improving in 1 year. I like where they are headed on the outside. I'd like a TE to work the middle of the field but I am sure that is high on the offseason list.

The Bills weapons are pretty good and if Richardson can play (I believe that he can) they are a G, TE & QB from being elite. Sign Mike Iupati and Sam Bradford, draft Funchess (O'Leary or Heuerman) in the early 2nd.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Pretty decent list Jokeman. Detroit's & Houston's groups are pretty solid too. The Bills went from bottom of the barrel to pretty good and improving in 1 year. I like where they are headed on the outside. I'd like a TE to work the middle of the field but I am sure that is high on the offseason list.

The Bills weapons are pretty good and if Richardson can play (I believe that he can) they are a G, TE & QB from being elite. Sign Mike Iupati and Sam Bradford, draft Funchess (O'Leary or Heuerman) in the early 2nd.

i think Funchess could be a 1st rd pick. But I also think it is all dependent on the needs of the teams. I'll start a fight with him when he visits the Shoe in November so he gets some character "red flags" for punching a fan, and drops in the draft.

Just kidding Vader.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills went from bottom of the barrel to pretty good and improving in 1 year. I like where they are headed on the outside.

That's what impresses me the most and makes me a Whaley supporter. I know Sammy was expensive, but huge improvement and trending up all over. And yeah, another TE threat would help a lot.

This is my gut feeling as well. I'm attempting to temper my enthusiasm and remember what team it is I root for on Sundays...

I'll start a fight with him when he visits the Shoe in November so he gets some character "red flags" for punching a fan, and drops in the draft.

Awesome! Way to take one for the team! Wings and beer on me if it works. (For you only, the rest of the board can go hungry and thirsty, but happy.)

Don't get me started on TE. I felt that best thing we could have done was keep SJ13 and draft Ebron as think we gave a lot to get Watkins but willing to accept it as long as we don't give up a top 10 pick. That said this offseason I'm targeting Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas and re-signing Spikes. The UFA QBs doesn't have many great names on it Bradfor and his injuries concern me but his replacement Austin Davis might be out there and depending what he does the rest of the year might be a guy to add to the mix or maybe draft a guy in Round 3 and take an OG with our top pick.

Edited by The Jokeman

ebron is doing next to nothing with a pretty good qb out there........

really, we all should be happy to have 2 very good, and very young, wr´s on our roster.

now let´s see if we find someone to get them the ball...............

ebron is doing next to nothing with a pretty good qb out there........

really, we all should be happy to have 2 very good, and very young, wr´s on our roster.

now let´s see if we find someone to get them the ball...............

I'm not looking short term as to me over time Ebron could be a quality TE. Then if we needed a WR we could have used the lost first round pick on Watkins on someone like Amari Cooper

niklas will be a better TE than ebron in 2 years from now. aaaannnnndddd....

missed the trend? TE´s are found on the hardfloor now :P

:D

now serious: i too think we need to upgrade at TE. but i also think sammy was worth it. get him someone like matty ice to throw the ball and he is an all pro

I'm not looking short term as to me over time Ebron could be a quality TE. Then if we needed a WR we could have used the lost first round pick on Watkins on someone like Amari Cooper

unless we are terrible, we wouldn't have had a shot at Cooper. He's projected at 3 overall and compares to Sammy in talent.