Orton + This Offensive Line

Mr. T

Remember how bad the Bills Oline was when Edwards was the QB? Remember how much better they looked when Fitz took over?

With EJ calling signals the current Oline has also looked pretty bad at times. I have a strong sense the Oline might not look so bad with an experienced signal caller like Orton "in charge."

One of the biggest knocks on Trent Edwards, and EJ, is they are so damn indecisive. They both take too long to read the defense, and than panic with check downs.

For all his flaws (arm strength, inaccurate) Fitz was quick to make a decision and usually quickly recognized the hot read. His flaws however often keep him from getting the results desired.

My hope is Orton's experience and his ability to read defenses much faster than EJ has been to will cause the Oline to look alot better than they have the past few games.

Go Bills!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd better be right... 'Cuz if you're not, Kyle Orton is ska-rooed out there! Guy has a decent enough arm, but ZERO escapability.... When you combine that with Hackett's crap offense, and poorly coached receivers, It don't look pretty... -Guess we'll see.

Watt would have killed Orton. EJ actually escaped a few sacks yesterday.

But in general, there probably will be a lot of short quick passes. That's Orton's strength. But his deep ball is Fitz like.

Yeah, but my deep ball i better than EJ's. He is TURRIBLE at anything over 15 yards....We know one thing for sure...Orton i not afraid to sling it around the yard. For better or worse.....Lets hope for the better. GO BILLS

All Orton has to do is to be on point. It would be nice to see a 30+ yard throw connect now and then, but the problem has been not getting the ball to the receivers in stride. If Orton can do that, Watkins, Woods, Williams et al should be able to make some YACs.

Edited by BillsFanInLA

All Orton has to do is to be on point. It would be nice to see a 30+ yard throw connect now and then, but the problem has been not getting the ball to the receivers in stride. If Orton can do that, Watkins, Woods, Williams et al should be able to make some YACs.

We have some serious YAC potential ( Spiller, Freddy, Watkins.. )

We'll see what happens. I think the run blocking will be equally important, because we will still need to use the running game to open the passing game.

Watching the Chiefs last night really was eye opening in terms of what a good (maybe dominant) line can do for a team. It was almost surprising to see a team's line consistently move as a unit forward on every single play, making room for the running backs to find some space and gain positive yards on every play.

Edited by Captain Caveman

But in general, there probably will be a lot of short quick passes. That's Orton's strength. But his deep ball is Fitz like.

I am not sure that Watt would have killed Orton.....

Lets keep in mind that short to intermediate accurate passing is the bane to a pass rush........if Watt started getting burned by it he would have had to dial it back.

Alex Smith didn't have to throw deep passes to beat the Pats last night. Smith did the dink and dunk game, along with a balanced rushing attack and smoked the Pats. On 3rd downs, Smith was throwing to a receiver who was either at the first down marker or just a couple of yards beyond it and successfully completed numerous first downs that way. Manuel would either dump it off to a RB before the line of scrimmage or throw it 30+ yards downfield. Hopefully we'll see Orton do more of what Smith was doing last night.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

If your mancrush of EJ would stop you would realize Orton would have done better. Why? He can read a defense quick and burn the blitz. Sure he takes a couple hits, but man all those times EJ had some time and threw behind, in front of, over WR's or just flat out missed open WR's is something Orton wouldn't have done