EJ was benched for the rest of the team's sake

PromoTheRobot

I heard Bulldog spouting off how this move was made out of desperation to impress a new owner, blah, blah, blah. Funny how the Watkins trade was called the same thing. I guess that's your go-to reason for everything. And while a new owner must be on people's minds at OBD I think there is a bigger reason why EJ got the hook: to not lose the rest of the team.

If you recall John Wawrow made a cryptic post here that EJ was not well-liked by some players and even coaches because they felt he was going to drag the team down. A lot of us feel the Bills are a playoff team but for the QB. And the last two games, SD probably and HOU definitely, EJ cost the Bills wins with his erratic and declining play.

You have players like Eric Wood, Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson who don't want to wind up like Aaron Schobel with no playoff appearances. They don't want to waste their remaining years in the league on a project QB trying to learn the game. Let's face it, would any other player at any other position get so many mulligans after stinking up a game.

So while Pegula and no draft pick does matter here, I think not wasting the other players is the #1 reason for benching EJ.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Agreed. The danger for losing this team was real and coupled with this dismal performance in two winnable games, it was the right call. EJ is sunk as a QB. Put this team into position to squeak into the playoffs and built confidence in what is a very young team. It's about them learning to win. However, the bigger issue is that neither EJ or Orton are the longterm solution so what happens after this season?

This is a very good point. We were talking about how the rest of the locker room felt about all of this. Despite ME liking what I see from EJ in terms of work ethic and maturity, how does the team feel in general, and those poor receivers in particular? Maybe Godwin will dare to come back a week sooner!

This is a very good point. We were talking about how the rest of the locker room felt about all of this. Despite ME liking what I see from EJ in terms of work ethic and maturity, how does the team feel in general, and those poor receivers in particular? Maybe Godwin will dare to come back a week sooner!

You reminded me how Sammy Watkins admitted short-arming a throw by EJ in the SD game. The WRs didn't trust him not to get them killed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I heard Bulldog spouting off how this move was made out of desperation to impress a new owner, blah, blah, blah. Funny how the Watkins trade was called the same thing. I guess that's your go-to reason for everything. And while a new owner must be on people's minds at OBD I think there is a bigger reason why EJ got the hook: to not lose the rest of the team.

If you recall John Wawrow made a cryptic post here that EJ was not well-liked by some players and even coaches because they felt he was going to drag the team down. A lot of us feel the Bills are a playoff team but for the QB. And the last two games, SD probably and HOU definitely, EJ cost the Bills wins with his erratic and declining play.

You have players like Eric Wood, Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson who don't want to wind up like Aaron Schobel with no playoff appearances. They don't want to waste their remaining years in the league on a project QB trying to learn the game. Let's face it, would any other player at any other position get so many mulligans after stinking up a game.

So while Pegula and no draft pick does matter here, I think not wasting the other players is the #1 reason for benching EJ.

Right on

Think about it from Robert Woods standpoint: They stick with EJ and he is either going to get decapitated going up for an errantly high pass…..or he is going to continue to see 3-5 targets a game of which 2 are catchable OF WICH one is behind the LOS.

These guys want to win now….and they want to get big time WR stats too. Rookie contracts are not the $$$ they had in mind. Would suck to be R. Woods who had EJ throughout his rookie contract and heading to the negotiating table…. and isn't even in the top 30 WR's

Think about it from Robert Woods standpoint: They stick with EJ and he is either going to get decapitated going up for an errantly high pass…..or he is going to continue to see 3-5 targets a game of which 2 are catchable OF WICH one is behind the LOS.

These guys want to win now….and they want to get big time WR stats too. Rookie contracts are not the $$$ they had in mind. Would suck to be R. Woods who had EJ throughout his rookie contract and heading to the negotiating table…. and isn't even in the top 30 WR's

Yeah, EJ is definitely bad for business if you are a WR.

Wtf? If we had Adrian Peterson his job would be to block. Execute the game plan and there will be check waiting. Win and others will want you. Its not his or any wrs right to play for personal stats.

And if, I reiterate if, Orton can get the opposing d to back off the los we will see more fredex and cj.

Wtf? If we had Adrian Peterson his job would be to block. Execute the game plan and there will be check waiting. Win and others will want you. Its not his or any wrs right to play for personal stats.

And if, I reiterate if, Orton can get the opposing d to back off the los we will see more fredex and cj.

You're dreaming.

This is the real world, and if the QB was at least competent I would agree, but when it's not at a professional level, the players have a right to express disenchantment (in the locker room) and demand competence, because it directly affects their career.

How much more wide open should our WRs get?

And AP would want out of here fast if he were blocking….this isn't Vince Lombardi's NFL.

We made a commitment to get winning minded athletes from winning programs. Being the competitors they are, they would like to not only win but to win and see their names up there with the top WRs in the game…ultimately those stats are how they're measured both competitively and financially.

Yes…$ matters.