EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense took off....ESPN and Merrill Hoge would be so proud of themselves right now!! How was that defense in mile high against the Steelers or the Patriots?

And they traded Tebow, but don't let facts ruin a good Hoging.

to the jets who had Sanchez SANCHEZ and then they cut him .

Done let the facts get in the way of trying to make something that is universally considered a anomaly a chance at being repeated

And Manuel is actively hindering them at this point. I don't think continuing to throw a guy to the wolves out there when he is CLEARLY not ready is the answer. Is there anything you can point to that shows Manuel was learning?

By the way, I would love to back into a playoff spot. Are you kidding me? That would be huge!

Manuel has definitely improved his play from last year in many areas. He no longer takes unnecessary hits when he scrambles. He goes through progressions better. He keeps his eyes downfield to make a play when he scrambles. Just to name a few.

My contention is the offesnses biggest problem has been hackett... not EJ. How many times have we gotten into the redzone and gone completely conservative on the play calling? How many times have we run Spiller into the middle of the line when we all know that's not his strength? Hell, even the final play yesterday... why do we have two WRs down the field within 10yds of each other? That's all on the OC and the offense he's drawing up.

The fact that EJ is struggling is clear. I don't dispute that at all. But, I contend he's struggling because our completely inexperienced OC has done everything possible to put him in horrible down and distance game situations while running a completely predictable offense.

This offense is making everyone's job harder. Hence, Pears is suddenly complete garbage; Woods has taken a step backwards; Spiller's production has fallen off the cliff since Hackett got here. But, its all the QBs fault? I just don't see it that way.

This was absolutely the right move and I'm kind of blown away that the Bills had the balls to make it. Is Orton the long term answer? Of course not. Is he capable of getting this team to 10/11 wins. Absolutely.

Outside of maybe Thad Lewis, EJ is the worst QB the Bills have started regularly during their playoff draft. In terms of talent. He has no arm talent whatsoever. Which by the way, neither does Fitzpatrick. But Fitzpatrick was at least capable of reading a defense and making SOME NFL throws. Manuel can't make NFL throws. Simple as that. You don't have to be a huge football fan to notice it.

And for all of those who think this is reactionary and would rather have EJ starting. This team has playoff talent. Robert Woods is a 70-80 catch receiver playing for a decent QB. And Watkins is game changer. And if the team can make teams play the pass honestly, it opens up a ton in the running game. Now the O-Line is still a problem and Orton isn't going to work as well out of the pocket as EJ, but you do gain something with him on the field.

EJ is who he is. You can learn a NFL offense. You can learn to recognize how a defense is lining up for a certain play and audible out of something if its a bad idea. You can't learn how to make NFL throws. You either have that or you don't. This team could either play this season out, miss the playoffs, try and replace EJ in an offseason where they don't have a number 1 draft pick. Or they can try and win now and see what happens. I think its obvious they need to try and win now. I don't care if Marrone is doing this for the sake of his job. I just care he's doing it for the sake of the fans. Because I for one had no interest in watching EJ Manuel play another 12 games.

Great Post! I agree with your reasoning.

I'm not nearly as interested in winning a game or two extra this year. I'm more concerned about building a winning team for the next decade. Is an aging, career backup the answer?

The problem is too many people actually think we're a playoff team this year. The reality is... we're not. Maybe with a few lucky breaks we back into a wild card spot. But, that's it. From the coaching staff down to the WRs to the rookies on the line to the LBs, this is a young, inexperienced team that's still very much trying to learn to win together.

Aging? He's 31! He only has 70 career starts.

Compare that to:

Brees: 35/189

Big Ben: 32/146

Brady: 37/194

Manning 1: 38/243

Manning 2: 33/155

Matt Ryan: 29/98

Cutler: 31/108

Romo: 34/140

Rodgers: 31/91

Rivers: 33/132

I saw someone say they'd rather we'd have gotten McCown. Well...

McCown: 35/41

Orton easily has four to five years left in him.

Easily.

Aging? He's 31! He only has 70 career starts.

Compare that to:

Brees: 35/189

Big Ben: 32/146

Brady: 37/194

Manning 1: 38/243

Manning 2: 33/155

Matt Ryan: 29/98

Cutler: 31/108

Romo: 34/140

Rodgers: 31/91

Rivers: 33/132

I saw someone say they'd rather we'd have gotten McCown. Well...

McCown: 35/41

Orton easily has four to five years left in him.

Easily.

One things for sure he'll have the most talent around him he's ever had.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

KevinKolb 2.0. But better than Kolb. Good player. Has been good everywhere he has been. I see him being a quality QB, for how long who knows, but Bills you have to believe never wanted EJ to start day 1. Now they are executing what they wanted to do last year. All good. Still think EJ can play, but this path is OK as well. Locker room will be pumped as well.

Of course, now KO will slip on a banana peel in the team room and be out for the season. This is the Bills we are talking about here..... :)

go bills.

Edited by 8and8Forever

This is a straight up Panic Move by a Coach/GM that knows another losing season likely means they're fired with a new owner coming in.

Orton is not a starter in this league, he hasn't been for years. He's a bandaid at best! With no 1st round pick next year, all they're doing is making certain that we don't have a franchise QB for the next 2-3 yrs. It's a short-sighted, panic move is all I can say.

Is Orton going to look better handing off on that stupid read/option run up the middle play every other first down? Is he going to teach the OLine how to block? Or teach WRs to not drop passes? ....And if they do start calling different plays that are successful... isn't that still the coaches fault for giving EJ a crappy play book?

I'm not at all convinced EJ is the long-term answer. But, I know Orton isn't. I also know that yanking young QBs in and out of the line up, historically, does far more harm than good to their carrer. People can say it had to happen all they want, but it's a panic move made by people fearful of losing their jobs. I hope it works, but history shows us... it almost certainly won't.

Orton is and has been a starter in this league and hes 31 again if thats old then the league is old and Orton should fit right in

Why would we run read option when orton can play under center and run play action ?

He doesn't have to teach them how to block but he will get rid of the ball quick and I guarantee you he can tell them WHO to block

He doesnt have to teach wideouts have to catch because they will make plays for a guy who will get them the ball

Ej has a playbook based off of his capabilities as do most young Qbs .The coaches call what EJ has shown he can have success running if EJ is failing at running those plays thats not the playbook its EJ struggling with what he actually should know and thats worse . To claim that any different plays orton runs successfully means that EJ simply had bad plays and so its the coaches fault is :cry:

Ej is not being yanked out of the lineup hes played his way out of the lineup just as the majority of the young players in the league has done

Orton doesn't have to be the answer he only needs to make sure he is not the problem and we will win games because thats the purpose of this season that the 14 previous seasons dictate that it be

Edited by JC2002

It's no more or less the answer than leaving Manuel in there. There are few bigger homers than me when it comes to Bills quarterbacks. I STILL think Losman got screwed. But there is no way anyone could watch Manuel play yesterday and think he just needs a few more games under his belt.

Orton wins that game yesterday. Hell, Marangi wins that game yesterday.

Though I would also argue that this is a playoff team with the right quarterback, not so much because the team is so good, but because the rest of the division is not much better.

I agree... I think Losman got screwed here as well. And, unfortunately, history is repeating itself again.

But, I'm not sure Orton wins us that game yesterday. Maybe. But, we came out throwing the ball on a defense that had been doing pretty well against the pass and lousy agaisnt the run. That tells me our game plan was flawed from the opening whistle. Not to mention, they did almost nothing to negate one of the most dynamic players in the game. And our QB payed the price by getting hit on nearly every single pass attempt. Would Orton have handled the pressure in his face better? Maybe, but I'm not sure of that since I haven't seen him play a game in years.

Manuel has definitely improved his play from last year in many areas. He no longer takes unnecessary hits when he scrambles. He goes through progressions better. He keeps his eyes downfield to make a play when he scrambles. Just to name a few.

My contention is the offesnses biggest problem has been hackett... not EJ. How many times have we gotten into the redzone and gone completely conservative on the play calling? How many times have we run Spiller into the middle of the line when we all know that's not his strength? Hell, even the final play yesterday... why do we have two WRs down the field within 10yds of each other? That's all on the OC and the offense he's drawing up.

The fact that EJ is struggling is clear. I don't dispute that at all. But, I contend he's struggling because our completely inexperienced OC has done everything possible to put him in horrible down and distance game situations while running a completely predictable offense.

This offense is making everyone's job harder. Hence, Pears is suddenly complete garbage; Woods has taken a step backwards; Spiller's production has fallen off the cliff since Hackett got here. But, its all the QBs fault? I just don't see it that way.

He's pretty horrible throwing the football....

I agree... I think Losman got screwed here as well. And, unfortunately, history is repeating itself again.

But, I'm not sure Orton wins us that game yesterday. Maybe. But, we came out throwing the ball on a defense that had been doing pretty well against the pass and lousy agaisnt the run. That tells me our game plan was flawed from the opening whistle. Not to mention, they did almost nothing to negate one of the most dynamic players in the game. And our QB payed the price by getting hit on nearly every single pass attempt. Would Orton have handled the pressure in his face better? Maybe, but I'm not sure of that since I haven't seen him play a game in years.

...Losman was way better than EJ...at least he could hit the long ball